Author Topic: John Tavares is a Maple Leaf  (Read 12020 times)

Offline Wendel's Fist

• Marlie
    • View Profile
Re: John Tavares is a Maple Leaf
« Reply #210 on: July 01, 2018, 08:31:53 PM »
Leafs dont name a captain this season. We win the Cup. Who will be pushed to pick it up first?

Gotta be the Patty Man.

Brian Papineau, with a full water bottle for Bettman.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 01, 2018, 08:35:02 PM »
Leafs dont name a captain this season. We win the Cup. Who will be pushed to pick it up first?

Gotta be the Patty Man.

Brian Papineau, with a full water bottle for Bettman.

Oh man the OG Papi would be inspired.

If it was up to Babcock itd probably be going to Roman Polak.

Offline Captain Canuck

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 01, 2018, 08:39:01 PM »
Awesome news, can't recall any other Leafs free agent signing that came close to generating this much excitement!

I saw a few people walking around Maple Leaf Square with Tavares Leafs jerseys already. BTW, the ACC looks bizarre with "Scotiabank Arena" up on the side of the building now.

Not too worried about the "C", if anything don't name one...seemed to work fine last year without one.

Unless the Buds hope to outscore the entire league (and they just well might with this lineup) there is still a pressing need on the blueline, but that can wait for another day.

GO LEAFS GO!!!  8)

Offline Kaberle15

• Veteran
  • They Did it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 01, 2018, 08:51:05 PM »
And just when I thought that this day couldn't be any better, my Lakers signed the King.

Whatta day
A.K.A Gardiner51, Changed back to Kaberle15 now that he is retired.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 01, 2018, 09:26:12 PM »
We actually signed Tavares.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 01, 2018, 09:40:46 PM »
Earlier in the year I didnt see a fit with us, but as the Islander stock started to sink and the Leafs put up another year of progress, I kind of started to hope even though I knew hockey players were dumb and safe. Little did I know that Tavares was a super big nerd and that hed be won over by FACTS. I was dancing the whole day.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 01, 2018, 09:53:09 PM »
Earlier in the year I didnt see a fit with us, but as the Islander stock started to sink and the Leafs put up another year of progress, I kind of started to hope even though I knew hockey players were dumb and safe. Little did I know that Tavares was a super big nerd and that hed be won over by FACTS. I was dancing the whole day.

You know, I think for sometime now I've been expecting someone, a legit star, to really go into free agency and use it to get what they wanted. I probably assumed that meant money too heavily but I think the league was overdue for a star to really want to reap the justly deserved rewards of free agency.

Cuz let's not mince words, even though he may have turned down more money(and who knows how San Jose's offer was structured) Tavares does now have the 2nd highest cap hit in the league. And good for him, he deserves it. I'm happy to see players use their leverage against a really unfair system.

But man, it just feels like such a win. To improve your team this much with no real cost and at an eminently reasonable price tag. I'm pretty freaking happy about it.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 01, 2018, 10:20:53 PM »
On the Island, not so much in the way of happiness:

It came like the slow ripping of a Band-Aid, and now the wound will bleed out all over Islanders fans for years to come.

Yeesh, that's a lede?

Uh, yeah ... from the NY Post.  ::) ::)

But actually, the reactions they quote run the gamut: bitter betrayal, trash the jersey, it's on management (that would be my take), he deserves to chase his dream, Barzal is already better than him  ::) ::) ::), wow look at all the cap space, Lou and Trotz will right the ship.

I absolutely would be bitter if I were an Isles fan.  Can you imagine how we'll feel when Matthews walks someday so he can pursue his boyhood dream of lifting the Coyotes* to greatness?

* Problem is, the Coyotes will be defunct by that time

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 01, 2018, 11:21:57 PM »
What would the compensation be if someone offer sheeted Marner? 5 first round picks?

The biggest RFA compensation is 4 first rounders:

https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-calculator

And like I said, you'd match any Matthews offer sheet and Marner really doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'd sign an offer sheet and bail on his hometown team and playing on Tavares' wing.

I think Down Goes Brown had an article that said the problem with the RFA system is that the compensation isn't higher.  The reasoning behind this was that it's a no-brainer to just match the offer.  If the compensation was higher, then the GM may actually have to think about whether or not they wanted to match it and it may lead to more RFA offer sheets. 
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 01, 2018, 11:28:24 PM »
I think Down Goes Brown had an article that said the problem with the RFA system is that the compensation isn't higher.  The reasoning behind this was that it's a no-brainer to just match the offer.  If the compensation was higher, then the GM may actually have to think about whether or not they wanted to match it and it may lead to more RFA offer sheets.

Well, the "problem" with the RFA system is that it's a joke that's meant to give the impression of some sort of player freedom but without any actual interest in it. If the league really cared about it as a means to facilitate player movement it'd be the easiest thing in the world to address. It sucks, but it sucks by design.

I mean, if you make compensation that much higher why even have an RFA system?
-Mark Twain

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 01, 2018, 11:40:07 PM »
Well, the "problem" with the RFA system is that it's a joke that's meant to give the impression of some sort of player freedom but without any actual interest in it. If the league really cared about it as a means to facilitate player movement it'd be the easiest thing in the world to address. It sucks, but it sucks by design.

What would you do to change it, just make it a UFA system at a lower age? 

I mean, if you make compensation that much higher why even have an RFA system?

Well I think you still want to give the team that has the player an option.  So not straight free agency.  Some sort of right to match has to be in there I think.  Maybe you go the other way and just say that is the only option you have and there is no compensation at all.  It is a joke of a system because virtually nobody uses it as a way to improve their team, so there is obviously something broken with it.  With a cap, and with the trade route less of an opportunity to improve your team, the league would be better off to investigate a way to improve this part of the system.   
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline jdh1

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 01, 2018, 11:40:49 PM »
 I can,t help but think that this is a great signing.To get a heart and soul player,still in his prime and from Toronto.  This is huge.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 02, 2018, 12:02:19 AM »
Well I think you still want to give the team that has the player an option.  So not straight free agency.  Some sort of right to match has to be in there I think.  Maybe you go the other way and just say that is the only option you have and there is no compensation at all.  It is a joke of a system because virtually nobody uses it as a way to improve their team, so there is obviously something broken with it.  With a cap, and with the trade route less of an opportunity to improve your team, the league would be better off to investigate a way to improve this part of the system.

Again though, saying that the system is "broken" is implying that it's not doing what it's supposed to do. But it is doing that. It's giving the illusion that young players have some measure of freedom while still giving teams ultimate control. That is by design.

So long as there's a hard cap and escrow payments why should we care how the money gets distributed? All you do by artificially limiting the supply of free agents in that scenario is divert money away from very good young players to mediocre older players.
-Mark Twain

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 02, 2018, 12:33:55 AM »

I worried, after the playoffs, that the Leafs might not appear to have taken much of a step forward -- well, they didn't -- so thought the shine on the franchise as an ascendant  contender might've come off a bit... Coupled with the Islanders doing a lot of things that signal a turnaround, I thought that was enough to get that dumb and safe tendency to kick in and lead Tavares back to the Island. I also thought, if he did leave, there were teams able and willing to pay a lot more, that offered equally good chances to win.

So, I'm pleasantly surprised he both was smart enough to make the same sort of assessment the Leafs management has made -- or at least that's what Dubas suggested -- and, I dunno, sentimental enough that he used his position to pursue a childhood dream.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 02, 2018, 03:10:56 AM »
On the Island, not so much in the way of happiness:

As a long-time Islanders fan (of Mike Bossy & John Tavsres), I can empathize with some of the anger shown by their fans, etc.  Some of the vitreolic reactions are understandable.   However, they should also try to be understanding in turn.  Tavares didn't owe managenent anything, and furthermore, Tavares played most of his career with a team that was in shambles in many a categoty.

Tavares chose a new direction (in signing with the Leafs).

In the same way that the Islanders --  -- the organization,  the team, and their fans -- will embark in a direction that will bring some glory again to a once proud franchise.

Best of luck to them.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 03:13:05 AM by hockeyfan1 »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #224 on: July 02, 2018, 03:10:56 AM »