Author Topic: Kyle Dubas is new Leafs GM  (Read 13794 times)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: It's OFFICIAL: Kyle Dubas is new Leafs GM
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 10:30:37 AM »
I doubt it.  Among the forward group, I think Dubas' prior experience running skilled and fast 4th lines means we'll likely not have guys who can't contribute offensively.  But on defense, there are only so many guys who are two-way d-men (or just offensive d-men). 

Do I expect Polak back?  No.  Would I expect Dubas to get someone like Hjalmarsson if he could?  Yes.

I think that's probably a fair assessment. We'll see less of the "traditional" types to fill those roles, but, with Babcock behind the bench, there will still be a need to have guys who can still play that style effectively - they'll just be better with the puck than the Polak's of the league.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2018, 10:31:26 AM »
Does anyone want to put money down on Nick Kypreo's "sources" now?

"According to Kypreos sources its Dubas colleague Mark Hunter is the most likely candidate to succeed Lamoriello as Leafs GM."

Good one Nick, good one.

Kypreos' report on that kinda got interpreted by people writing headlines. All he said was that other executives around the league felt that Hunter was the most likely candidate because of his experience and blah blah blah. He never said he had any inside information from the Leafs suggesting Hunter was the favourite.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2018, 10:33:47 AM »
Does anyone want to put money down on Nick Kypreo's "sources" now?

"According to Kypreos sources its Dubas colleague Mark Hunter is the most likely candidate to succeed Lamoriello as Leafs GM."

Good one Nick, good one.

Kypreos' report on that kinda got interpreted by people writing headlines. All he said was that other executives around the league felt that Hunter was the most likely candidate because of his experience and blah blah blah. He never said he had any inside information from the Leafs suggesting Hunter was the favourite.

I don't care, I like throwing stuff in his face.  ;D

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2018, 10:38:20 AM »
But seriously this is cool. Shanahan had a plan and actually stuck to it. No more desperation moves from a desperate franchise.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 10:42:01 AM »

If you ever needed a more resounding endorsement...

Offline Guru Tugginmypuddah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2018, 10:46:01 AM »
I think that's a little harsh.  Everything I read about Hunter suggests he's a solid hockey guy in terms of talent assessment.

Sure, but if he doesn't want to be here... especially if it's because he's upset he didn't get this job when it was clear from day one that Dubas was the front runner for it... then I'm not going to shed any tears. Replacing him won't be impossible.

My thoughts exactly.  I'd rather Hunter walk than Dubas. 

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2018, 10:47:42 AM »

If you ever needed a more resounding endorsement...

Oh my god I knew Campbell has had a couple terrible Ovechkin-takes recently so I searched for one to mockingly post and today just happens to be the one-year anniversary of this absolute gem:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/ovechkin-is-no-longer-a-significant-factor-and-for-that-reason-shouldn-t-be-blamed-for-loss

Alex Ovechkin just isn't the difference maker he once was, and continues to take on a diminished role. So another Capitals defeat can't be blamed solely on him.

For those who would prefer to spend today ripping on Alex Ovechkin as the root of all the Washington Capitals playoff ills, the evidence is very clear and even more damning. On not one, but both of the Pittsburgh Penguins goals in their 2-0 win over the Capitals in Game 7, Ovechkin is about as soft on the puck and his man in the defensive zone as any forward can possibly be. Hes indefensibly soft and laissez-faire, doing nothing but taking a half-hearted, one-handed swing at the puck on the first goal and not doing near enough to battle to get the puck out of the zone on the giveaway by (who else?) Kevin Shattenkirk on the second.

Because the fact is Ovechkin has ceased to become a significant factor for the Capitals. He hasnt been one for a while now.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2018, 10:55:25 AM »
I'm trying to remember which press conference someone asked Babcock (or a Leaf) a really poop emoji question, and it turned out to be the ol' Soup Ken.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2018, 10:58:50 AM »
DEE-FENSE!.... DEE-FENSE!...... DEE-FENSE!... DEE-FENSE!
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2018, 11:00:40 AM »
Low-key great news coming out of this: Dubas' best friend in the front office is Brandon Pridham.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:02:54 AM by herman »

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2018, 11:02:37 AM »
I'm trying to remember which press conference someone asked Babcock (or a Leaf) a really poop emoji question, and it turned out to be the ol' Soup Ken.

The reporter talking about Cherry was Ken Campbell.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »
Low-key great news coming out of this: Dubas' best friend in the front office is Brandon Pridham.

Cap shenanigans to ensue!

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2018, 11:06:41 AM »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2018, 11:11:59 AM »
This guy, today:

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2018, 11:15:27 AM »

TMLfans.ca