Author Topic: Kyle Dubas is new Leafs GM  (Read 15334 times)

leafsjunkie, herman, applecheeks, caveman, CarltonTheBear and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: It's OFFICIAL: Kyle Dubas is new Leafs GM
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 09:56:31 AM »
Don't downplay his ability, it would definitely be blow to the organization if he leaves. He may not have the position he wants but couldn't the Leafs make him the highest paid scout on the planet?

I'm sure he's fairly good at his job but beyond that I don't know that we know much about how good he is or what the impact of him leaving would be. The drafts on his watch have been...fine but I don't know that we can say anything more than that yet. I'm pretty confident that if he left and the Leafs felt they needed another high level AGM who would specialize in amateur scouting they could hire another pretty good one.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 09:56:37 AM »
Okay Doobie Snacks where to get that stud defensemen? Do it now, don't wait.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 09:59:18 AM »

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 10:00:04 AM »
The big question now is what does Hunter do... and the answer is I don't care.

I think that's a little harsh.  Everything I read about Hunter suggests he's a solid hockey guy in terms of talent assessment. 

But I guess the honeymoon starts today.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 10:02:56 AM »
Does anyone want to put money down on Nick Kypreo's "sources" now?

"According to Kypreos’ sources it’s Dubas’ colleague Mark Hunter is the most likely candidate to succeed Lamoriello as Leafs GM."

Good one Nick, good one.

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 10:05:10 AM »
I think Hunter has played a huge part in the success of the Marlies and the draft picks he's made that have seamlessly made the leap to the Leafs. I've been impressed with the kids in the system since Hunter came aboard. Certainly Hunter doesn't deserve all the credit, but man oh man I'd hate to see some other team pick him up.

That's a bit of an overstatement. He argued for Marner in 2015 when he and Dubas co-managed the draft before Lou and Babcock wanted Hanafin. (Dubas traded down remember to get the picks to select Bracco and Dermott.) Three years out though only Marner and Dermott have made any impact at the NHL with Bracco and Timashov beginning to produce in the AHL, although Bracco has been a healthy scratch at times during these playoffs.

In 2016 and 2017 he seemed to be the guy in charge at the draft, so let's look at his picks.

* Yegor Korshkov
* Carl Grundstrom (Looks like a good pick in limited time with Marlies.)
* Joseph Woll
* James Greenway
* Adam Brooks (Had an underwhelming first pro season with limited minutes, room to grow as a player and a pro, still has upside though.)
* Keaton Middleton
* Vladimir Bobylev
* Jack Walker
* Nicolas Mattinen
* Nikolai Chebykin

The rest of that is a huge bag of meh so far.

Ryan O’Connell
Ryan McGregor
Fedor Gordeev (Promising, but having extreme Jake Gardiner type growing pains transition from F to D.)
Vladislav Kara
Ian Scott
Eemeli Rasanen
Timothy Liljegren (Very promising as an 18y/o in the AHL, but likely still at least a year away from the NHL.)

So basically, Hunter's impact on the AHL has been Bracco, Timashov, Brooks and Liljegren in depth roles and Dermott who Dubas traded down for as the most meaningful piece. Grundstrom could need a season in the AHL too potentially.

At the NHL outside of Marner and Matthews who both seemed like slam-dunk picks at the time, he hasn't produced massively in three drafts.

I don't write all this to have a pop at you Redleaf, I just wanted to be clear on what exactly Hunter did, the media has painted his as a scouting God and we've yet to fully see that.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 10:08:12 AM »
You should also highlight the guys taken after our picks in those two drafts.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 10:10:27 AM »

Shanny leaning haaaard into the "Dubas is one of you hockey dudes, Dubas is worthy" pitch.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 10:12:16 AM »
That's a bit of an overstatement. He argued for Marner in 2015 when he and Dubas co-managed the draft before Lou and Babcock wanted Hanafin. (Dubas traded down remember to get the picks to select Bracco and Dermott.) Three years out though only Marner and Dermott have made any impact at the NHL with Bracco and Timashov beginning to produce in the AHL, although Bracco has been a healthy scratch at times during these playoffs.

Yeah. I think Hunter might be at his best when he has someone above him who holds a differing opinion, and he really has to defend his opinions - and I get the impression he didn't have that so much w/ Lou. With Dubas, it certainly appears as though he might.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »

Yeah. I think Hunter might be at his best when he has someone above him who holds a differing opinion, and he really has to defend his opinions - and I get the impression he didn't have that so much w/ Lou. With Dubas, it certainly appears as though he might.

If he stays beyond this year.  If he doesn't, I'm sure Dubas is smart enough to hire someone else with a nose for talent.  I'm just wondering if we've now finally seen the last of the "real gud pros" that Babcock so favors but who can't actually contribute offensively.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 10:18:14 AM »
Will the Leafs be a slower team next season due to a sharp rise in the hairflow drag coefficient? Sports at 6.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 10:18:43 AM »

If he stays beyond this year.  If he doesn't, I'm sure Dubas is smart enough to hire someone else with a nose for talent.  I'm just wondering if we've now finally seen the last of the "real gud pros" that Babcock so favors but who can't actually contribute offensively.

I doubt it.  Among the forward group, I think Dubas' prior experience running skilled and fast 4th lines means we'll likely not have guys who can't contribute offensively.  But on defense, there are only so many guys who are two-way d-men (or just offensive d-men). 

Do I expect Polak back?  No.  Would I expect Dubas to get someone like Hjalmarsson if he could?  Yes. 

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 10:26:50 AM »
The big question now is what does Hunter do... and the answer is I don't care.
Has he even realistically done a good job drafting?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2018, 10:28:40 AM »
I think that's a little harsh.  Everything I read about Hunter suggests he's a solid hockey guy in terms of talent assessment.

Sure, but if he doesn't want to be here... especially if it's because he's upset he didn't get this job when it was clear from day one that Dubas was the front runner for it... then I'm not going to shed any tears. Replacing him won't be impossible.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2018, 10:29:22 AM »

If he stays beyond this year.  If he doesn't, I'm sure Dubas is smart enough to hire someone else with a nose for talent.  I'm just wondering if we've now finally seen the last of the "real gud pros" that Babcock so favors but who can't actually contribute offensively....
.....or defensively.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2018, 10:29:22 AM »