Author Topic: Leafs Playoffs - Casual Fan Edition  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs Playoffs - Casual Fan Edition
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2018, 11:36:53 AM »
Is the safe word still waffle-cheeks?

Nope, we've changed it up to floccinaucinihilipilification.

I miss all the good meetings.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline applecheeks

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2018, 11:41:01 AM »

Another problem here is that way, way too many people listen to mods when they say to move on from a subject and take it to PMs.

I don't think the Prime Ministers of Canada and England care.

Post-Mortems.

No., it might be MeH! I've enjoyed this site for over 20 years. Great insight into our beloved Maple leafs. But if someone has an opinion, isn't that what the mods want, feedback MeH!  No, just wanna debate, argue and sometimes insult. We aren't all writers but, i for one enjoy the hockey knowledge that "unites us all"
Thanks for the heads up on the Athletic. Great reading and worth the $. 

Offline Guru Tugginmypuddah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2018, 11:53:46 AM »

Nope, we've changed it up to floccinaucinihilipilification.

I miss all the good meetings.

There was punch and pie too. 

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2018, 12:27:58 PM »
Does anyone know what kind of witchcraft Jake Guentzel applies pre-playoffs to make himself into a 70 goal scorer year after year?  Can we get some of that?

Offline Bonsixx

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2018, 02:12:40 PM »
Still way too many brutal turnovers for my liking and it seemed (at least for a while there, not sure of the final stats) they were getting eaten alive in the faceoff circle, especially in their own end. Should Bozak just take every draw possible against Bergeron from now on?

Marner was sensational again and has been by far the most dangerous Leaf in the series, but Freddie Andersen's performance, particularly in the first period, was the difference-maker again.

A Bruins fan friend of mine was telling Leafs fans on Facebook to post "Mercy" and he wouldn't make fun of them for the rest of the series and some people actually did. Oh how I hope this comes back to bite him!

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2018, 04:19:17 PM »
Still way too many brutal turnovers for my liking and it seemed (at least for a while there, not sure of the final stats) they were getting eaten alive in the faceoff circle, especially in their own end. Should Bozak just take every draw possible against Bergeron from now on?

Marner was sensational again and has been by far the most dangerous Leaf in the series, but Freddie Andersen's performance, particularly in the first period, was the difference-maker again.

A Bruins fan friend of mine was telling Leafs fans on Facebook to post "Mercy" and he wouldn't make fun of them for the rest of the series and some people actually did. Oh how I hope this comes back to bite him!

I really wonder about Bergeron sweeping and taking faceoffs and how confused I still am about the faceoff rule. Why do the Leafs seem to be setting down and Bergeron is getting away with sweeping motions 90% of the time?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2018, 04:32:25 PM »
I really wonder about Bergeron sweeping and taking faceoffs and how confused I still am about the faceoff rule. Why do the Leafs seem to be setting down and Bergeron is getting away with sweeping motions 90% of the time?

https://www.nhl.com/video/know-the-rules-faceoffs/t-277350912/c-43456903

'New' rule is that on d-zone draws, the defending faceoff player has to have his stick down first.

Technically, the attacker also needs to touch his stick down in the white of the circle, but refs and linesmen only have two eyes each and a lot of things to watch for.

Offline Bonsixx

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2018, 05:42:37 PM »
The Leafs best players (outside of Freddie and Marner) have yet to be their best players.

Tonight is the night. Go Leafs Go!

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 26, 2018, 07:11:31 AM »
Shoulda, coulda, woulda , but didn't.

The Leafs had it for two periods before they fell apart in the third.  But then, is that really surprising when this team has had trouble holding a lead all year?  By our standards, no.

Oh well, I expect changes coming.  Even so, this team has so far brought nothing but optimism to us fans, and the hope that, with all of the young talent the itganization has, they'll have much greater success in future playoffs to come.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 05:30:16 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline Frycer14

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2018, 11:07:58 AM »
Love the idea of this thread; I've re-joined the site just to comment in it.

1) According to my eye test, the bruins were possibly the worst team that the leafs could have faced in the first round, because of their maturity and suffocating/physical style really effectively countering the leafs' talent age/physical immaturity. I'd like to think we'd have fared better against Tampa or even Pittsburgh, as it likely would have been more run and gun track meet which favoured our strengths.

2) It was really apparent in the series to see the difference in playoff hockey vs the reg season. Players like Reilly, Polak, Hyman, Marner, Marleau, and Brown were the only skaters that really stepped up their intensity to make a play or break up one.... most of the youth looked unprepared for the transition to the game the bruins forced us to.

3) Regarding the site, I'll say it here instead of via PM, because I think it's a positive - you've got a poster in Herman that would make for a great moderator or admin based on how he contributes, and unless he doesn't want to help out in that regard, I think it would be a no-brainer in terms of improving the site.

Regards,
Herman's Mother
Frycer14

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2018, 11:14:24 AM »
Thanks, mom!

The admins and mods do a great job here already, which is what lets me be myself and (hopefully) a contributing member.

Y'all wouldn't want me at the controls (think Seth Griffith wallpaper and Nylander hair flick gifs everywhere).

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2018, 11:14:24 AM »