Author Topic: Leafs Playoffs - Casual Fan Edition  (Read 4732 times)

Offline Bonsixx

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Leafs Playoffs - Casual Fan Edition
« on: April 14, 2018, 12:20:56 AM »
Hi,

I'm a longtime member (since 1999, I think) and I noticed a post in the gameday thread for Game 1 about how it was a pretty slow day for a Leafs playoff game.

I think it's because of those who enjoy advanced stats shouting opinions down with "Corsi, Corsi, Corsi, math, math, math" whenever a new member expresses an opinion. I love the advanced stats and think they have value, but it seems to me that anyone who signs on here to voice their thoughts on the team these days just get mocked and have numbers thrown at their face. It never used to be this way.

This used to be a great community for all Leafs fans, and it seems if you post an opinion now that might go against the advanced stats, it turns hostile.

Anyway, that's my opinion (without "the numbers" to prove it), but for anyone who just wants to vent about the team, and who should or shouldn't play, based on the ol' fashioned eye test, please post here.

No "advanced stats" needed. Is that OK?

And here's the first opinion: I don't care how bad Matt Martin is at hockey, I think they need him on the fourth line against Boston.

Discuss.

Offline Bonsixx

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs Playoffs - Casual Fan Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 12:26:44 AM »
Quick addition: I'd pay money to see Marchand try to kiss Martin.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 04:46:18 AM »
Welcome back, Bonsixx!   

Doesn't look like Martin will be inserted into the lineup anytime soon.  At least for now.  If everything falls apart again for the Leafs in Game 2,  expect more changes in the lineup shuffle.  Game 2 will tell the tale. 

Offline Mr. Leaf

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 05:19:47 AM »
My kinda thread!  8). I'd also be ok with seeing Martin inserted into the lineup but personally would like to see Leivo take Kadri's spot.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 06:33:02 AM »
I'm not so sure about needing Martin. Special teams play such a big role in the playoffs and I think the only thing Martin will do is add to the time spent on the PK. I think Johnsson over him (and Carrick over Polak) and trying to beat the Bruins with speed and skill is the way to go. And I'm still pushing for Nylander to centre and Bozak to the 4th line. I'd love to see this:

Hyman     Matthews    Marner
Johnsson  Nylander     Brown
JVR          Marleau      Kapanen
Komarov   Bozak        Plekanec/Leivo/Martin

Rielly       Dermott
       Gardiner  Carrick
       Hainsey   Zaitsev

Offline Boston Leaf

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 06:35:03 AM »
good thread  ;D

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 07:45:05 AM »
Personally if I was to remove a Dman for Carrick, I'd take out Hainsey before Polak. Seems to me that Hainsey is on the ice for every goal and is usually flailing around on the ice when it happens.

Offline nutman

• Veteran
  • Marner... This kid has game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 09:19:59 AM »
Nice post I agree 100%.  Martin not so much yet, I think we use our speed first.  If Plakanic goes for another ride I am all for getting him out he has not played a good game since he joined us, and we all know he has game.

Offline Bonsixx

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 12:03:01 PM »
I'm not so sure about needing Martin. Special teams play such a big role in the playoffs and I think the only thing Martin will do is add to the time spent on the PK. I think Johnsson over him (and Carrick over Polak) and trying to beat the Bruins with speed and skill is the way to go. And I'm still pushing for Nylander to centre and Bozak to the 4th line. I'd love to see this:

Rielly       Dermott
       Gardiner  Carrick
       Hainsey   Zaitsev
It's a good point that they need to beat them with their speed (ie. Hyman's goal) but man, it seemed they were standing around most of Game 1 waiting to get hit.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Offline Bonsixx

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 12:04:15 PM »
Personally if I was to remove a Dman for Carrick, I'd take out Hainsey before Polak. Seems to me that Hainsey is on the ice for every goal and is usually flailing around on the ice when it happens.
That's because Babs plays him too much. Not really Hainsey's fault.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 12:23:26 PM »
Val Kilmer just before he places a shot through Marchands forehead. "I'll be your Huckleberry".  Perhaps Komrade can play that role tonight.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline WAYNEINIONA

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 02:05:32 PM »
Nice thread Bonsixx. You just stated what alot of  the mere mortals on this sight have been thinking for the last few years.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 02:06:38 PM »
That's because Babs plays him too much. Not really Hainsey's fault.

Well that's sort of true for everyone who plays in situations they shouldn't isn't it...on all teams.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 02:18:14 PM »

Rielly       Dermott
       Gardiner  Carrick
       Hainsey   Zaitsev
It's a good point that they need to beat them with their speed (ie. Hyman's goal) but man, it seemed they were standing around most of Game 1 waiting to get hit.

Well while that was definitely true the 1st period, I thought they looked real good in the 2nd. Special teams essentially decided that game. I think discipline and puck possession are going to get the Leafs through this series, not trying to outhit or out dump and chase the physically superior team.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 03:35:54 PM »
Its strange, but I have always thought this team is built for one to two/three years down the road. I am feeling a little disassociated at this point. Very strange, I used to live and die for the Leafs to make the post season, perhaps my expectations are not so high and its doesn't help we are playing the B's.
Hope they can come back and ignite the fire again.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 03:35:54 PM »