Author Topic: Leafs @ Sabres - Mar. 5th, 7:30pm - TSN4, TSN 1050  (Read 2060 times)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs @ Sabres - Mar. 5th, 7:30pm - TSN4, TSN 1050
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2018, 10:10:34 PM »
Looked tipped but I guess not

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2018, 10:10:41 PM »
Marner scores! Sabres 5 - Leafs 3

Who cares?

Go Leafs Go!

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2018, 10:27:06 PM »
Unsurprisingly, Nylander was not effective playing with two grinders. Neither of his line mates can rush the puck, which is a problem when that is your game.

Marleau and Plekanec both looked disinterested yet again.

Komarov got two lucky goals and will probably be on the first powerplay unit for the next three years as a result.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2018, 11:21:17 PM »

Man, can you imagine how badly the team would be playing if, through the Front Office's actions, they'd been sent the message that they may not be contenders yet?

Dodged that bullet.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2018, 11:34:24 PM »

Man, can you imagine how badly the team would be playing if, through the Front Office's actions, they'd been sent the message that they may not be contenders yet?

Dodged that bullet.

That was wicked true.

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2018, 06:59:29 AM »
How the **** was Buffalo goal #5 a "good goal"?

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2018, 08:34:26 AM »

Andersen was the one who initiated contact outside of the crease.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 06, 2018, 08:36:15 AM »
Kadri, Marleau, Marner, Hainsey and Reilly a combinded -14 tonight.

If there's one thing worse than plus minus, it's using an entire units combined plus minus.

It's like saying that unit gave up a combined 47 shots on net last night.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 08:39:37 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 06, 2018, 08:52:50 AM »
Well, there may have been some absolutely bonkers set of circumstances that contributed to the first four Buffalo goals but boy did Toronto ever look listless out there.

I'm also not sure whether the forwards deserting the defensive zone is an actual encouraged team philosophy or not but man, that has got to stop. The defense is constantly forced to make those end to end stretch passes that rarely hit their intended target. I'm not sure why there seems to be such an aversion to carrying the puck and using their elite speed and skill.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2018, 08:52:56 AM »
Honestly, I thought, for the most part, the Leafs were the better team last night. They had a rough start, and stopped playing for a few shifts after they tied it, and, with Buffalo getting all the bounces going their way . . . the score did not reflect the play on the ice, as far as I'm concerned.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 06, 2018, 09:05:38 AM »
Honestly, I thought, for the most part, the Leafs were the better team last night. They had a rough start, and stopped playing for a few shifts after they tied it, and, with Buffalo getting all the bounces going their way . . . the score did not reflect the play on the ice, as far as I'm concerned.

Well, we're talking about a Buffalo team sans Eichel so being the better team shouldn't be all that hard a feat to accomplish. That being said, I'm not sure I agree. Buffalo looked like the Harlem Globetrotters for a fair chunk of the 2nd period. And while 4 of those goals were all essentially flukes, most were a result of relentless pressure and a whole lot of standing around in the defensive zone (on Toronto's part). At one point I thought the shot clock was busted; it was very kind to Toronto.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2018, 09:15:56 AM »

Andersen was the one who initiated contact outside of the crease.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2018, 09:27:45 AM »

I forgot where I saw it, but someone ran the numbers for ‘good’ wins, where shot share was clearly in the winner’s favour after adjustment; it’s not as common as we would expect. Over a longer period of time, it generally leans towards consistent winning, but on a game by game basis, it’s noisy.

All in all, I agreed we played the better game, but we still had too many little mistakes that snowballed — some bad turnovers that didn’t lead to direct goals but led to extended time in our end, resulting in bad line changes that eventually ended up in our net. We attacked largely from the net front corners, rather than trying harder to get it to or across the middle. Ryan O’Rielly played really well too.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 06, 2018, 09:35:10 AM »
All in all, I agreed we played the better game, but we still had too many little mistakes that snowballed — some bad turnovers that didn’t lead to direct goals but led to extended time in our end, resulting in bad line changes that eventually ended up in our net. We attacked largely from the net front corners, rather than trying harder to get it to or across the middle. Ryan O’Rielly played really well too.

Agreed. And, I think the issues were compounded due to the fact that the mistakes seemed to come in concentrated bursts, rather than being spread over the course of the game as they usually would be. On a more typical night, the amount of mistakes the Leafs' made don't come back to haunt them to the extent they did last night.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 06, 2018, 09:40:10 AM »
Agreed. And, I think the issues were compounded due to the fact that the mistakes seemed to come in concentrated bursts, rather than being spread over the course of the game as they usually would be. On a more typical night, the amount of mistakes the Leafs' made don't come back to haunt them to the extent they did last night.

It's where the leaders on the team would get their teammates to buckle down and trust their system and execute what they have control over. There were certainly shifts where Nylander started to try to do too much on his own. I thought the 4th line of Martin - Plekanec - and Komarov had some nice stabilizing shifts to help reset things (and then score semi-accidentally!).

I don't know what it is about the Sabres' barn, but this seems to happen to us there a lot.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #149 on: March 06, 2018, 09:40:10 AM »