Author Topic: Leafs @ Panthers - Feb. 27th, 7:30pm - TSN4, Fan 590  (Read 2138 times)

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs @ Panthers - Feb. 27th, 7:30pm - TSN4, Fan 590
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2018, 02:12:07 PM »
From my remembering, I didn't think Zaitsev looked this bad last year.  Maybe he's just got the second year yips, seeing how he got that big contract and all.

I actually thought he was their most consistent defenseman last year. I'm not sure if that early return from his concussion for the playoffs had some lingering effects or not but he does seem to have regressed a fair bit.

I'll jump in and agree that I thought he looked better last season.

This defense issue has been around for 2 years now.  As soon as we hit the fall of 2016 and witnessed that Matthews, Marner, and Nylander, were for real, many of us suggested that they now needed to address the defense. 

I don't think we left too many stones unturned; we talked Trouba, Dumba, Sergachev, Ghostisbehere, Barrie, OEL, on and on...anyways, here we are talking about it again.  It'd be nice if they'd get going on it, rather than signing Hainseys and Hunwicks, and drafting Korshkovs.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2018, 02:15:48 PM »
https://theathletic.com/256736/2018/02/28/systems-analyst-maple-leafs-learn-aggresive-defending-is-good-but-sometimes-patience-is-better/

I see this with Dermott a lot. The difference is Dermott usually comes away with the puck ('cause he's really good at it) and no one's the wiser.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2018, 02:53:49 PM »
From my remembering, I didn't think Zaitsev looked this bad last year.  Maybe he's just got the second year yips, seeing how he got that big contract and all.

I actually thought he was their most consistent defenseman last year. I'm not sure if that early return from his concussion for the playoffs had some lingering effects or not but he does seem to have regressed a fair bit.

This defense issue has been around for 2 years now.  As soon as we hit the fall of 2016 and witnessed that Matthews, Marner, and Nylander, were for real, many of us suggested that they now needed to address the defense. 

I don't think we left too many stones unturned; we talked Trouba, Dumba, Sergachev, Ghostisbehere, Barrie, OEL, on and on...anyways, here we are talking about it again.  It'd be nice if they'd get going on it, rather than signing Hainseys and Hunwicks, and drafting Korshkovs.

That's it, I'm starting a band with that name.  It was going to be "Memories of Wonderland", but I like "Drafting Korshkovs" better.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2018, 03:22:53 PM »
I'm probably the biggest Zaitsev booster on this forum too  :(

His decision making issues really look like someone who is overthinking, i.e. playing outside his instinct. Is he being coached to learn how to play defense a certain way that he hasn't adjusted to? A lot of defensive timing, especially aggressive defensive timing, is about knowing the players coming at you and their tendencies. Without the puck, some of his flubs are more missed executions than bad decisions (see last night's OT pinch). With the puck, I don't know why he doesn't trust his skating (which is above average even on this team) and puck handling (which is average). Does he need glasses?

Oh right, he's coming off a broken in-step and took a huge hit to his conditioning.

Even more weird that he gets 24 min.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2018, 03:27:17 PM »

That's it, I'm starting a band with that name.  It was going to be "Memories of Wonderland", but I like "Drafting Korshkovs" better.
I have always like this one "Dudes with Tudes"
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2018, 03:27:56 PM »

His decision making issues really look like someone who is overthinking, i.e. playing outside his instinct. Is he being coached to learn how to play defense a certain way that he hasn't adjusted to? A lot of defensive timing, especially aggressive defensive timing, is about knowing the players coming at you and their tendencies. Without the puck, some of his flubs are more missed executions than bad decisions (see last night's OT pinch). With the puck, I don't know why he doesn't trust his skating (which is above average even on this team) and puck handling (which is average). Does he need glasses?

Oh right, he's coming off a broken in-step and took a huge hit to his conditioning.

Hey Herman, maybe he is to tired to play correctly?
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2018, 03:52:29 PM »

Yeah, although I seem to remember him doing it more and more last year too.  Less skating the puck and more of that silly dump the puck out of the zone.  I wonder if that's a Babcock thing with him because it sure as heck isn't a good element to add to his game.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2018, 04:30:10 PM »
Yeah, although I seem to remember him doing it more and more last year too.  Less skating the puck and more of that silly dump the puck out of the zone.  I wonder if that's a Babcock thing with him because it sure as heck isn't a good element to add to his game.

He did. Auto dump, similar to Polak, Marincin.

It's not easy to hold the puck in the NHL. I'm probably a bit spoiled by the likes of Marner, Nylander, Gardiner, Rielly, Matthews, Kadri in that I semi-expect everyone to be able to hold it under duress and still keep his head up long enough to make a tape-to-tape pass.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2018, 07:48:42 PM »

He did. Auto dump, similar to Polak, Marincin.

It's not easy to hold the puck in the NHL. I'm probably a bit spoiled by the likes of Marner, Nylander, Gardiner, Rielly, Matthews, Kadri in that I semi-expect everyone to be able to hold it under duress and still keep his head up long enough to make a tape-to-tape pass.
Unless the Lilypad
                                           Navaho Proverb

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2018, 07:48:42 PM »