Author Topic: Leafs acquire Plekanec  (Read 2430 times)

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs acquire Plekanec
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2018, 12:18:40 PM »
They probably only take JVR but I don't see why they wouldn't rather have picks and young players.

No, no, trade those guys to other teams for picks and prospects and send (some) of those picks and prospects to New York for McDonagh.

Online Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2018, 12:18:41 PM »
I came across this comment on the Sportsnet comment section:

Plekanec has 4 less points than Nash this season and playing on a terrible team. And he plays against the toughest lines every night. MB strikes again. Toronto will be very happy with this guy for sure and gave up basically nothing.

I agree 100%.  The Leafs came out quite well here.  The cost for Nash was much higher.
The price for Nash was absurd. He's got to be one of the most overrated players.of his generation (along with Phaneuf ;))
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2018, 12:18:57 PM »
I came across this comment on the Sportsnet comment section:

Plekanec has 4 less points than Nash this season and playing on a terrible team. And he plays against the toughest lines every night. MB strikes again. Toronto will be very happy with this guy for sure and gave up basically nothing.

I agree 100%.  The Leafs came out quite well here.  The cost for Nash was much higher.

Its amazing what competent management can do.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Online Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2018, 12:19:25 PM »
They probably only take JVR but I don't see why they wouldn't rather have picks and young players.

No, no, trade those guys to other teams for picks and prospects and send (some) of those picks and prospects to New York for McDonagh.
Seems like a lot of maneuvering in a short period. Would be good though!
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2018, 12:22:46 PM »

Interesting how that could work out. There has been talk in the past week that Plekanec could still end up back in Montreal in the summer even if he gets traded.

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2018, 12:25:53 PM »
All the Habs fans at my work are laughing and saying Plekanec sucks. Yeah, he sucks when he's the best centre on your team.

I don't know much about him outside of turtlenecks, but he's a pretty good two way player isn't he?

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2018, 12:26:38 PM »
Seems like a lot of maneuvering in a short period. Would be good though!

JVR's return by itself could be enough of a return to get us at least close to McDonagh. So as long as the Leafs are keeping the Rangers updated as to what that is it shouldn't be too difficult to pull off.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2018, 12:30:20 PM »

Interesting how that could work out. There has been talk in the past week that Plekanec could still end up back in Montreal in the summer even if he gets traded.
Could but most of the time, players don't go back. Remove sentiment..Who has the most upside, Montreal or Toronto? If, and that's a big if, both teams want him back and the money is equal, I know where I'm signing. That's for another day down the road. He could be purely a rental like Boyle was last year.

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2018, 12:30:39 PM »
All the Habs fans at my work are laughing and saying Plekanec sucks. Yeah, he sucks when he's the best centre on your team.

I don't know much about him outside of turtlenecks, but he's a pretty good two way player isn't he?
He's solid defensively and miscast in Montreal.  He'll play alot better when he faces 3rd and 4th lines. The move is solid and doesn't cost all that much. I have a feeling this deadline day will be super busy

Offline Guilt Trip

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2018, 12:31:44 PM »

Of course they say he sucks. He's a 3rd/4th line guy for us and he's good at it.

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2018, 12:38:39 PM »
Well that works for me. Seems like a great trade for the Leafs.

Online Guru Tugginmypuddah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2018, 12:42:43 PM »
Somewhere in the deepest depths of the ACC, the Leafs equipment managers are running around frantically trying to figure out where to get a blue turtleneck with a Leaf logo on it.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2018, 12:44:02 PM »
Somewhere in the deepest depths of the ACC, the Leafs equipment managers are running around frantically trying to figure out where to get a blue turtleneck with a Leaf logo on it.
Hahahahaha

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2018, 12:45:05 PM »
Sounds to me like all this amounts to a mild upgrade on Moore, who I thought was doing just fine.

Online Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2018, 12:55:12 PM »
Sounds to me like all this amounts to a mild upgrade on Moore, who I thought was doing just fine.
Pro rated Plekanec would have around 33pts to Moore's 20. I'd say that's an upgrade. And Plekanec is good defensively. Either way if a C goes down we've got some depth. Good enough.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2018, 12:55:12 PM »