Author Topic: Brassard to Penguins  (Read 956 times)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: Brassard to Penguins
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2018, 12:02:27 PM »
I may be misremembering this but I thought the general perception of that deal when it was made was that the Leafs had legit use for Fehr as a 4th line C that got derailed when he broke his finger. Yeah Fehr was making too much money but I don't think the idea was he'd never see the ice.

They'd already added Boyle as a 4th line C when the deal was made. Fehr was a cap dump that the Leafs tried to make useful.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2018, 12:05:44 PM »
They'd already added Boyle as a 4th line C when the deal was made. Fehr was a cap dump that the Leafs tried to make useful.

Again, my recollection of it is that Fehr was seen as potentially useful but I'm happy enough to say I could be wrong there. Either way it's still not how I'd spend that sort of money but MLSE can if they like.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online Guru Tugginmypuddah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2018, 12:08:04 PM »

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2018, 12:16:49 PM »

Again, my recollection of it is that Fehr was seen as potentially useful but I'm happy enough to say I could be wrong there. Either way it's still not how I'd spend that sort of money but MLSE can if they like.

I thought Fehr got into the line-up right away after the trade and then got injured, but it actually took him 3 weeks and an injury to Soshnikov for him to get a chance (then he got injured too).

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2018, 12:32:56 PM »
Kelly McCrimmon is a huge fan of former Brandon Wheat King Ryan Reaves. So its not exactly $ for just the 4th in their eyes.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2018, 12:42:48 PM »
Kelly McCrimmon is a huge fan of former Brandon Wheat King Ryan Reaves. So its not exactly $ for just the 4th in their eyes.

But they didn't have to link the deals. They could have traded for Reaves independently of any Brassard connection.
-Mark Twain

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2018, 01:08:06 PM »

But they didn't have to link the deals. They could have traded for Reaves independently of any Brassard connection.

I suspect that was their original intention (take Reaves + a pick for something), and then found out about the Brassard situation and the opportunity to mess with a division rival and give a bit of a thank you note to the team that basically gifted them Fleury.

Breakdown by Bob
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:10:43 PM by herman »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2018, 01:13:12 PM »
I suspect that was their original intention (take Reaves + a pick for something), and then found out about the Brassard situation and the opportunity to mess with a division rival and give a bit of a thank you note to the team that basically gifted them Fleury.

I mean, I'm not going to weigh in on what they may have been thinking but I don't understand the Fleury angle. If there was any market for him he'd have been traded.
-Mark Twain

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2018, 01:29:06 PM »

I mean, I'm not going to weigh in on what they may have been thinking but I don't understand the Fleury angle. If there was any market for him he'd have been traded.

My understanding of the Fleury deal is that Rutherford spoke with Fleury very early on and told him Murray had to be their guy going forward (cap considerations, etc). He asked Fleury where he wanted to go and Fleury picked Vegas; essentially, they didn't try to trade him and reserved him all season for the expansion draft pick.

This article hints at that, but I can't recall the original source I read this from. Why Vegas needs to feel particularly chummy about it, I am guessing is about adding an All Star to their franchise from day 1 helps with marketing and winning.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2018, 01:40:53 PM »
My understanding of the Fleury deal is that Rutherford spoke with Fleury very early on and told him Murray had to be their guy going forward (cap considerations, etc). He asked Fleury where he wanted to go and Fleury picked Vegas; essentially, they didn't try to trade him and reserved him all season for the expansion draft pick.

This article hints at that, but I can't recall the original source I read this from. Why Vegas needs to feel particularly chummy about it, I am guessing is about adding an All Star to their franchise from day 1 helps with marketing and winning.

We may remember things pretty differently because the talk I remember all year was that the market for Fleury just didn't exist(in effect, there'd be no team that would have chosen him as their one goalie to protect). That contract was seen as pretty ugly all year and, let's be real, I don't think any of us went into this season thinking Marc-Andre Fleury: All-Star Goalie.
-Mark Twain

Offline Guilt Trip

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »

We may remember things pretty differently because the talk I remember all year was that the market for Fleury just didn't exist(in effect, there'd be no team that would have chosen him as their one goalie to protect). That contract was seen as pretty ugly all year and, let's be real, I don't think any of us went into this season thinking Marc-Andre Fleury: All-Star Goalie.
The Flames were the only team that "kicked the tires". All the other teams pretty much had the goalies set. I suppose he could have been traded to back up but I don't recall any other teams rumoured to be looking at him other then Calgary.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »