Author Topic: Brassard to Penguins  (Read 955 times)

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Brassard to Penguins
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2018, 10:45:36 PM »
My opinion of George McPhee remains the same.

Was this a follow up thank you for Fleury?

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2018, 10:50:45 PM »
So, there's some speculation that Vegas played the role of intermediary here to help prevent Brassard from ending up on a Western Conference team, which is . . . something.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2018, 11:51:26 PM »
So, there's some speculation that Vegas played the role of intermediary here to help prevent Brassard from ending up on a Western Conference team, which is . . . something.

Something like off-the-books collusion is what it sounds like. 

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2018, 11:55:48 PM »
Vegas deliberately helped Pittsburgh land Brassard to screw Winnipeg out of landing him.

Okay?

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2018, 12:30:22 AM »
Okay ... with what?

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2018, 07:45:47 AM »
That should be read more like

... o... kay...?

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2018, 09:41:35 AM »
I'd love to know what exactly was in the original deal that made the NHL reject it.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2018, 10:07:34 AM »
Just read a tweet from Bobby Mac...He thinks the hold up was that Ottawa wasn't receiving anything tangible from Vegas for Brassard, so in came the Lindberg, 3rd round pick.

Offline azzurri63

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2018, 10:51:39 AM »
I really don't get this deal from Vegas' perspective. Something fishy about the whole thing and personally think the league should have revoked it.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2018, 11:31:34 AM »
I really don't get this deal from Vegas' perspective. Something fishy about the whole thing and personally think the league should have revoked it.
They get a marginal NHL player in Reeves, a pick and the bonus is to keep Brassard out of Winnipeg, for 2 million.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2018, 11:35:54 AM »

The way they structured it in the end is perfectly legal. We can't have the league denying trades because they feel fishy or they just don't like them. That's not a can of worms the league needs to open.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2018, 11:49:37 AM »

The way they structured it in the end is perfectly legal. We can't have the league denying trades because they feel fishy or they just don't like them. That's not a can of worms the league needs to open.

Yeah, they reserve that for free agent signings.

Anyhoo, the issue here is how you price draft picks. We all agree that teams should be able to, if they want, effectively buy draft picks by being willing to take on bad contracts. To me the 2-3 million for a 4th seems insane and if I were owning a hockey team it's not how I'd spend my money but if Bill Foley wants to do that, well, it's his business. Vegas isn't going to be a cap team any time soon.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2018, 11:52:30 AM »
Anyhoo, the issue here is how you price draft picks. We all agree that teams should be able to, if they want, effectively buy draft picks by being willing to take on bad contracts. To me the 2-3 million for a 4th seems insane and if I were owning a hockey team it's not how I'd spend my money but if Bill Foley wants to do that, well, it's his business. Vegas isn't going to be a cap team any time soon.

To be fair, the Leafs essentially did the same thing last season when they traded Corrado for Fehr, Oleksy, and a 4th.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2018, 11:52:41 AM »
According to McKenzie, Pittsburgh and Vegas were actually talking about a Reaves trade earlier this week on their own. So if the Knights saw him as a valuable addition rather than just a throw-in it makes a little more sense for them, I guess.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2018, 11:58:32 AM »
To be fair, the Leafs essentially did the same thing last season when they traded Corrado for Fehr, Oleksy, and a 4th.

I may be misremembering this but I thought the general perception of that deal when it was made was that the Leafs had legit use for Fehr as a 4th line C that got derailed when he broke his finger. Yeah Fehr was making too much money but I don't think the idea was he'd never see the ice.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2018, 11:58:32 AM »