Author Topic: The adventures of Erik Karlsson  (Read 1423 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: The adventures of Erik Karlsson
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 08:29:51 PM »
Yeah, that arguments he makes are very plausible - and, given his connections, I tend to believe him (especially since he's not trying to blow sunshine up people's asses). I think he's probably right - if Melnyk still owns the sens moving forward, Karlsson is playing somewhere else next season.

One thing the article didn't mention was the Olympics issue. Melynk was one of the most vocal owners in terms of not wanting to let players go and Karlsson was probably one of the most vocal players for it. Now, Melynk himself wouldn't have changed the NHL's decision there in any way, but that was when I first started to think that there might be a rift beginning there. Especially since Melynk weirdly made that comment about saying he's maybe let Karlsson go if he was Canadian.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 08:32:28 PM »
I'm very comfortable in saying that if Karlsson leaves Ottawa it's like at least 90% because of Melnyk.

edit: Sorry, I meant to say when.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:34:48 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 08:34:30 PM »
Karlsson is no doubt a smart fellow and he can see that his owner is a borderline nutcase, kind of a downmarket Ballard.  That can't be helping.

The problem for buyers is that there's no way to know if his dropoff this year is due to a no-heal heel or just the general sensishness of the sens.

EDIT: Dammit Carlton quit pre-channeling me.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 08:44:01 PM »
Karlsson is no doubt a smart fellow and he can see that his owner is a borderline nutcase, kind of a downmarket Ballard.  That can't be helping.

Borderline?

The problem for buyers is that there's no way to know if his dropoff this year is due to a no-heal heel or just the general sensishness of the sens.

Honestly, I think the idea that he's dropped off is getting over-stated. Sure, his numbers aren't where we've come to expect them to be, but they're still very very good - he's putting up a 63 point pace on a tire fire of a team, and after missing training camp and the beginning of the season. Factor in that it's quite likely he's very unhappy about his current situation, and, well, I'm confident saying he's still the same Erik Karlsson who's carried his team offensively the previous 4 seasons. While his heel may not be quite 100%, it's not having the impact people are attributing to it - and we'll see that when he's playing somewhere else in October.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 08:57:20 PM »

Borderline?

Honestly, I think the idea that he's dropped off is getting over-stated. Sure, his numbers aren't where we've come to expect them to be, but they're still very very good - he's putting up a 63 point pace on a tire fire of a team, and after missing training camp and the beginning of the season. Factor in that it's quite likely he's very unhappy about his current situation, and, well, I'm confident saying he's still the same Erik Karlsson who's carried his team offensively the previous 4 seasons. While his heel may not be quite 100%, it's not having the impact people are attributing to it - and we'll see that when he's playing somewhere else in October.

I'm inoculating myself against possible libel actions here.

Well, the thing about any team that trades for him now is that they get 2 playoffs runs on his bargain deal, so there's plenty of time for them to have a look and see whether there truly is a dropoff or not.  The problem is that there seem to be very few clubs who are on the cusp and who have the assets to swing it.  Aside from TB, who's out there?  NSH doesn't need him, WSH probably doesn't have the assets, and ... ?

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 09:00:52 PM »
Well, the thing about any team that trades for him now is that they get 2 playoffs runs on his bargain deal, so there's plenty of time for them to have a look and see whether there truly is a dropoff or not.  The problem is that there seem to be very few clubs who are on the cusp and who have the assets to swing it.  Aside from TB, who's out there?  NSH doesn't need him, WSH probably doesn't have the assets, and ... ?

I think that's that larger issue, really. There's not that many teams that have the assets and the ability to take advantage of both those seasons (and who Ottawa is willing to deal with - I mean, the Leafs probably have the pieces to get it done, but there's no way Ottawa makes that deal. Imagine he leads the Leafs to a Cup? That would be a nightmare for the Senators' management.) Add in the anchor they're trying to attach to him named Bobby Ryan, and the list of teams willing and able to make the deal might just be zero.

I think the only other team possibly seriously in the mix at the deadline might be Dallas.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:07:42 PM by bustaheims »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 09:08:08 PM »
It's fairly crazy that the Sens were a goal away from the Stanley Cup final last season and this season they're looking to trade their franchise defenseman. Where's madferret when you want to point and laugh?

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 09:08:43 PM »
Vegas is another team that I've seen mentioned with him. That'd be an interesting fit.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 09:10:45 PM »
Vegas is another team that I've seen mentioned with him. That'd be an interesting fit.

Yeah, he'd be a fit there, but I'm not convinced even they believe they'll be able to repeat their success next season. I expect them to stay away from big deals for now.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 11:21:18 PM »
Bobby Mac echoes the Karlsson thoughts for the most part.

https://www.tsn.ca/sens-considering-karlsson-trade-options-1.1006645

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 11:47:35 PM »
That Vegas idea would put a maraschino cherry of crazy on top of their crazy season.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 10:04:26 AM »

Yeah, he'd be a fit there, but I'm not convinced even they believe they'll be able to repeat their success next season. I expect them to stay away from big deals for now.

Plus I don't think they really have the organizational assets to get a deal done.  It would completely empty their cupboard which is already thin to begin with.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2018, 01:39:49 PM »

Imagine being the third team in this scenario. Seriously, what would it take for a team to take on the Bobby Ryan deal? It couldn't be that much less than what the Sens get for Karlsson himself.

I mean, at best, it would have to involve getting rid of your own terrible contract but even then.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2018, 01:45:38 PM »
Imagine being the third team in this scenario. Seriously, what would it take for a team to take on the Bobby Ryan deal? It couldn't be that much less than what the Sens get for Karlsson himself.

I mean, at best, it would have to involve getting rid of your own terrible contract but even then.

Yeah. Even if you hope you can help rejuvenate his career, you're still going to ask for quite a bit just to take on that contract for another 4 seasons.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2018, 02:04:49 PM »
This trade is going to be amazing.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2018, 02:04:49 PM »