Author Topic: Soshnikov traded to the Blues  (Read 2529 times)

Online Downtown Connor Brown

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Soshnikov traded to the Blues
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2018, 07:35:31 AM »
I've always been a fan of Sosh. I really like the style of game he plays and I'm sad to see him go.

That being said I can understand why the organization chose to move on from him. He's 24 years old, so there's probably not a lot of growth left in his game. His concussion issues also made him miss quite a few games. Getting a pick for him is better than losing him (or another asset) for nothing. Obviously I'd have preferred a higher pick but I'm sure Lou got what he could.
"He's got some bite and some jam."  - Bob McKenzie

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2018, 08:19:21 AM »
I think this is the usual Leafs fans over-reaction to moving a complimentary part. I don't think he'll be a loss - there's plenty of other options. Probably would have liked a bit more than a 4th rounder but obviously the organisation was probably dealing from a position of weakness on several fronts.

Outside of the obvious few players I'd say anything on the roster should be available for trade anyway but in that case we're probably dealing from a position of strength as we don't HAVE to move someone in that case.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Can8899

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2018, 08:26:43 AM »
I think this is the usual Leafs fans over-reaction to moving a complimentary part. I don't think he'll be a loss - there's plenty of other options. Probably would have liked a bit more than a 4th rounder but obviously the organisation was probably dealing from a position of weakness on several fronts.

Outside of the obvious few players I'd say anything on the roster should be available for trade anyway but in that case we're probably dealing from a position of strength as we don't HAVE to move someone in that case.

Exactly.  We're talking about a player who is 24, played 70 NHL games and has 14 points.  Would love to have seen him play more or get more via trade but this isn't the end of the world.  Even if he explodes to be a quality NHL'er he just didn't fit with the Leafs at this point.

Offline Boston Leaf

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2018, 08:31:20 AM »
meh i liked the guy but not too big a deal. also the injuries were definitely becoming an issue..

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2018, 09:21:34 AM »
Sosh who? Press the reset button on that asset.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2018, 09:28:14 AM »
I always like Sosh, he seemed to never be the same after his concussion. Before it he would bang and have the skill element.

I don't know how you can say that confidently, he only played 3 NHL games after his concussion (where he was credited with 5 total hits) and nothing about his AHL play suggests that he was playing timidly.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 09:32:57 AM »
I'm going to hate that they keep doing this, but the Leafs aren't gifting fringe players rosters spots (last year notwithstanding, when they went with something special). The vets that I don't particularly like on the team are here specifically as hurdles; here the list of bodies that washed up against it and couldn't make the jump:

Holland, Leivo, Griffith  :( , Soshnikov, Corrado, Marincin, Marchenko, Gauthier

Martin is the main hurdle that has fallen, and they're still waiting for someone to take it from Polak and Bozak and Moore.

The benefit to the coaching staff is two fold. They only have so much bandwidth to handle sheltering and matchups, hence the overwhelming love for Hyman, Brown, Komarov, and the subtle, but very obvious brow furrowing at Bozak and JvR -- vets who were supposed to know what they're doing but for whatever reason can't. So just blowing open roster holes for the sake of asset management means more of their focus would be on sheltering too many prospects. Last season, they sheltered Matthews and Bozak's lines until Matthews started to pull away and excel with a heavier load. Kapanen was injected into the lineup, and away they went.

While I would've preferred having the higher potential options getting time on the lineup, but I can't really argue with results here. The second benefit is when a prospect makes the jump for real, it's really real. Their extended development time shows; they've been tuned for filling gaps in the Leaf's roster (see Kapanen learning PK); they're really invested in proving themselves night in and night out; they already know the System from their time with the Marlies.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 09:34:13 AM »
And from an asset management perspective, the Leafs netted a 4th-rder for an undrafted KHL signing.

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 09:42:26 AM »

Exactly.  We're talking about a player who is 24, played 70 NHL games and has 14 points.  Would love to have seen him play more or get more via trade but this isn't the end of the world.  Even if he explodes to be a quality NHL'er he just didn't fit with the Leafs at this point.

The claim that he "didn't fit" ignores that he should have been higher on the depth chart than Martin, Moore, Komarov and possibly Leivo.

The fact that he has so little NHL experience is in great part because Babcock/Lou chose to play below average veteran plugs instead of giving him a real opportunity.

No is saying that this will decimate the team. It's just poor asset management, given the team's current fourth line options and healthy scratches.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2018, 09:48:31 AM »
The claim that he "didn't fit" ignores that he should have been higher on the depth chart than Martin, Moore, Komarov and possibly Leivo.

The fact that he has so little NHL experience is in great part because Babcock/Lou chose to play below average veteran plugs instead of giving him a real opportunity.

No is saying that this will decimate the team. It's just poor asset management, given the team's current fourth line options and healthy scratches.

Sosh had a very real opportunity; he just kept getting hurt. He's healthier now, so I hope he makes a really good run of it with St. Louis.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2018, 09:56:00 AM »
We used to be a team stacked with wing options, but it's entirely possible that in a span of a year we'll have lost: Leipsic, Soshnikov, JVR, Komarov, and Martin. All for possibly/likely just a 4th rounder... maybe less if we need to entice someone to take Martin. That's a lot of wing depth lost there however you cut it. And I'm not entirely sure our farm system is keeping up. The only Marlie I can see being a NHLer next season is Johnsson (and he's a lock as far as I'm concerned). Timashov and Bracco would be next up but they don't seem to be banging on that door exactly.

Korshkov and Grundstrom have certainly looked good since they've been drafted but they'll still need at least a year of AHL seasoning probably.

Basically, if the plan really is to have even two of JVR/Komarov/Martin off the team next season then Soshnikov could still have been a very valuable piece of this team going forward.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:58:27 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2018, 10:20:04 AM »
We used to be a team stacked with wing options, but it's entirely possible that in a span of a year we'll have lost: Leipsic, Soshnikov, JVR, Komarov, and Martin. All for possibly/likely just a 4th rounder... maybe less if we need to entice someone to take Martin. That's a lot of wing depth lost there however you cut it. And I'm not entirely sure our farm system is keeping up. The only Marlie I can see being a NHLer next season is Johnsson (and he's a lock as far as I'm concerned). Timashov and Bracco would be next up but they don't seem to be banging on that door exactly.

Korshkov and Grundstrom have certainly looked good since they've been drafted but they'll still need at least a year of AHL seasoning probably.

Basically, if the plan really is to have even two of JVR/Komarov/Martin off the team next season then Soshnikov could still have been a very valuable piece of this team going forward.

I think Komarov gets re-signed (2 years). I think Aaltonen might get the 3rd line LW slot if we net a good centre.

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2018, 10:20:44 AM »
Yeah, it's a tough one.

I'd have liked to see a UFA moved to create a spot and I refuse to believe that Soshnikov who can skate, shoot and PK would be any more of a liability than JVR at 5v5 and I think he's already on par with Komarov with more offensive skill.

I want to give the management the benefit of the doubt, but I also don't feel comfortable just appealing to authority and twisting the narrative to suit whichever story makes the front office look most rational.

All that being said, I don't know what the trade market looked like and I don't know what Soshnikov is like off the ice.

I think we all look at the team like its plug and play, but there is a human element to all of this too and I think that plays more of a role than we are privy to. Fans and analytically inclined people often dismiss this because it's a variable that they can't quantify.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2018, 10:26:13 AM »
And from an asset management perspective, the Leafs netted a 4th-rder for an undrafted KHL signing.
Good point, something for nothing
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2018, 10:27:38 AM »
I think Komarov gets re-signed (2 years). I think Aaltonen might get the 3rd line LW slot if we net a good centre.

Man the days of even considering Aaltonen-types on a 3rd line are so far behind us. I've thought before that he could be brought up next season as the 4C but I'm starting to have my doubts. For starters it's been clear since the beginning that Babcock hasn't been a fan of Moore but he never once gave Aaltonen a shot at the job. Even after the Gauthier experiment failed there was still time and opportunity for him to try Aaltonen too but he went right back to Moore. Not really a good sign.

And mid-season reviews from both Wheeler at the Athletic and MLHS weren't all that raving about him. It seems to me like he's benefited greatly from playing with Johnsson and either Kapanen or Soshnikov with the Marlies. And even in that context his point totals are a little underwhelming.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2018, 10:27:38 AM »