Author Topic: Leafs @ Rangers - Feb. 1st, 7:00pm - TSN4, Fan 590  (Read 1605 times)

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Leafs @ Rangers - Feb. 1st, 7:00pm - TSN4, Fan 590
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:46:44 AM »
@
29-18-5, 63 points | 25-20-5, 55 points

Projected Lines

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Komarov-Moore-Kapanen

Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Holl
Borgman-Carrick

McElhinney

Nash-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Miller-Hayes-Zuccarello
Grabner-Holland-Fast
Vesey-Desharnais-McLeod

McDonagh-Holden
Skjei-Staal
Smith-DeAngelo

Lundqvist

Scratches

Ron Hainsey
Josh Leivo
Matt Martin

Paul Carey
Steven Kampfer

Game Notes

TOR
•McElhinney (4-4-0, 2.55 GAA, .925 Sv%) will likely start for the Leafs
•Hainsey and Polak didn't fly out to New York with the team last night, but if their illnesses improve overnight they might re-join the team today
•If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Will this be the 4th straight game Matt Martin sits in the pressbox for?

NYR
•Lundqvist (21-13-4, 2.61 GAA, .922 Sv%) will likely start for the Rangers
•The Rangers are 1 point behind Philly for the final wild card spot in the East and need to seperate themselves from the Islanders and Hurricanes who are right behind them
•New York was 5-7 in the month of January, which won't be good enough to get into the playoffs
•Cody McLeod, one of the last few goon-type forwards in the league, will be making his Rangers debut after being claimed off waivers from Nashville. He'll likely be trying to make his physical presence felt tonight
•I don't know why Peter Holland is their 3C either

Injuries

•Nathan Horton - Back - Out indefinitely
•Joffrey Lupul - Actually Injured - Out indefinitely
•Nikita Soshnikov - Groin - Injured Reserve
•Morgan Rielly - Arm - Injured Reserve
•Roman Polak - Infection - Injured Reserve
•Ron Hainsey - Illness - Questionable Thursday

•Kevin Shattenkirk - Knee - Injured Reserve
•Chris Kreider - Ribs - Injured Reserve

Stream Options

https://www.reddit.com/r/NHLstreams

Offline Crucialness Key

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs @ Rangers - Feb. 1st, 7:00pm - TSN4, Fan 590
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 08:57:09 AM »
If NYR is dressing Cody McLeod (of the Clan McLeod) and we don't dress Martin, gotta figure that's end of the line for him, right? Since that was basically the only reason for him to be on the roster?

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 08:58:49 AM »
If NYR is dressing Cody McLeod (of the Clan McLeod) and we don't dress Martin, gotta figure that's end of the line for him, right? Since that was basically the only reason for him to be on the roster?

Getting scratched against his former team, and then against his former rival team who has a goon dressed? That's a pretty huge statement from Babcock.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 09:07:34 AM »

Getting scratched against his former team, and then against his former rival team who has a goon dressed? That's a pretty huge statement from Babcock.

Also, playing Kapanen instead of Leivo is a pretty big statement as well.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 09:09:50 AM »

Yup. He's made it clear that he wants speed on that line and Leivo just doesn't bring that. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the team was trying to flip Leivo for a pick right now before the IR clears off.

Offline Crucialness Key

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 09:30:20 AM »

Yup. He's made it clear that he wants speed on that line and Leivo just doesn't bring that. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the team was trying to flip Leivo for a pick right now before the IR clears off.

I don't think we'll trade off everyone who's not in the starting 12, though. Babs will want a couple extra guys in case of injuries (Leivo, Sosh)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 09:31:03 AM »
Chris Johnston mentioned the Leafs are putting out feelers for Martin and Soshnikov trade interest during the pre-game show yesterday.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-engaging-market-trading-martin-soshnikov/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:36:09 AM by herman »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 09:37:14 AM »
I don't think we'll trade off everyone who's not in the starting 12, though. Babs will want a couple extra guys in case of injuries (Leivo, Sosh)

Someone's got to go right now. Ideally I think you trade Martin and that leaves Leivo and Soshnikov in the pressbox and Johnsson (who because of his expiring waiver status needs to be in the NHL next season) in the AHL if more injuries strike. That's plenty fine depth. But if the team feels like moving Leivo and keeping Martin mostly in the pressbox I'd be fine with that too.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 09:39:32 AM »
Chris Johnston mentioned the Leafs are putting out feelers for Martin and Soshnikov trade interest during the pre-game show yesterday.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-engaging-market-trading-martin-soshnikov/

Interesting. I wouldn't actually be surprised if Martin said "if I'm not going to play everyday then I wouldn't really mind a trade somewhere where I will". I think they could probably get some decent value for him. The Islanders would take him back I'm sure. They could use an old fan favourite, especially if they have to lose Tavares.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:41:32 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 09:43:14 AM »

Interesting. I wouldn't actually be surprised if Martin said "if I'm not going to play everyday then I wouldn't really mind a trade somewhere where I will". I think they could probably get some decent value for him. The Islanders would take him back I'm sure. They could use an old fan favourite, especially if they have to lose Tavares.

I like your style.  Martin for Barzal would get it done for me.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 09:44:57 AM »
I like your style.  Martin for Barzal would get it done for me.

They need a goalie, I'd throw in Sparks too I guess.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 09:53:24 AM »

It's funny though. If the Leafs do dress Martin in response to McLeod then the Rangers will have, perhaps inadvertantly, displayed the only real value of dressing an enforcer if by doing so they goad the other team on a hot streak into changing things up.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 09:57:16 AM »
Islanders are a natural fit, though I'm not sure if there are any hard feelings there. They'd certainly want to jump start Cizikas and Clutterbuck, and form a ~10M 4th line.
Calgary has expressed it needs more F-U in the lineup.
Edmonton is always looking for character and grit and team players.
Detroit was in pretty heavily on the Matt Martin sweepstakes.

Matt Martin's remaining years of the contract are more cap hit than actual dollars, so he'll be pretty attractive to teams on a budget looking to make the floor; Arizona for instance.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 10:17:22 AM »

f
I'd be more than good with this although I do want to keep Sparks in the pen.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 10:26:37 AM »
Not looking to pump the brakes too hard here, but we're rolling through a much easier stretch of the schedule than December. They've played some very good teams in January (TBL, SJS, CBJ) but also a lot of tire fires that give up as many if not more chances than the Leafs do regularly, where talent advantage gets a chance to shine.

The team has got 5 more games against Tampa Bay and Boston in the regular season, and a healthy dose of Metro matchups to show what sort of damage it can do against actual teams.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 10:26:37 AM »