Author Topic: Trade Deadline  (Read 15757 times)

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Trade Deadline
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2018, 01:39:21 PM »
Mirtle makes the case for selling in the Athletic ...

Yup, I'm on board with this. 

My hope is that Toronto is in the playoff picture for the next decade or so.  I'm already happy with this season.  This is the year in which they likely have the least incentive to buy at the deadline given their current situation in the standings.  A first-round pick or top prospect for JVR, especially someone who might become a decent 3rd-line center or top-3 defenseman in a couple of years would be very attractive.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2018, 01:53:48 PM »
Mirtle makes the case for selling in the Athletic ...

Yup, I'm on board with this. 

My hope is that Toronto is in the playoff picture for the next decade or so.  I'm already happy with this season.  This is the year in which they likely have the least incentive to buy at the deadline given their current situation in the standings.  A first-round pick or top prospect for JVR, especially someone who might become a decent 3rd-line center or top-3 defenseman in a couple of years would be very attractive.

It doesn't even necessarily mean they'll be worse off if they trade a JVR and/or Bozak too.  You could try and inject some of the Marlies in the lineup as Mirtle suggested and who knows, maybe your speed and skill increase instead of decrease?  Sometimes a kid gets a shot at a lineup and plays his mind out before he realizes he's supposed to earn his way like they used to believe in the old days.  Remember Kapanen scoring a huge playoff goal last year after being called up, he played great for the Leafs in the playoffs.

Offline Crake

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2018, 03:06:52 PM »
I wonder if the market for jvr isn't as good as we hope. There isn't a shortage of scoring wingers available this year with Nash, Grabner, Kane, patches, Hoffman, Vanek etc all more likely to be traded than jvr is

Offline Kaberle15

• Veteran
  • They Did it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2018, 07:20:53 PM »
If Karlsson is avaliable i would try a Kessel like package + JVR as they can flip him for more future assets

Something like: 2 1st rounders + a 2nd + JVR for Karlsson

I also would move uncle Leo for a prospect. however, this year JVR is the biggest asset, if they lose Leo for free is not that much of a Loss, plus they will have to make a move to make room for Sochnikov before the deadline.

I would keep Bozak, they don't have a 3rd Center in their system capable as Bozak, If they can find anyone on free agent to fill his spot, I would consider extend him (for less money)

I would trade Leivo or waive him

If someone bites in a Martin trade he is good as gone...

However, I do think they will stand pat and do nothing this year. They made several great moves in the Tank year, and since, manage to build the foundation for this Team and this is the best Leafs team that I can remember and the young core, hopefully, will be intact for a long time.

Is it Feb 27th yet ?
A.K.A Gardiner51, Changed back to Kaberle15 now that he is retired.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2018, 07:45:31 PM »
If Karlsson is avaliable i would try a Kessel like package + JVR as they can flip him for more future assets
Something like: 2 1st rounders + a 2nd + JVR for Karlsson

Even if he was available, I can't imagine that would be enough.

Given the state of the team/ownership in Ottawa, I would be surprised if he re-signed there. I would maybe wait and see if he's available at the end of his contract, but giving up those assets in a trade would be a real break in the draft and develop philosophy the Leafs have employed.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2018, 07:52:40 PM »
It’s a very very deep draft too. I would be very loathe to part with our first and would much rather try to pick up another.

Offline Kaberle15

• Veteran
  • They Did it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2018, 04:20:50 AM »
It’s a very very deep draft too. I would be very loathe to part with our first and would much rather try to pick up another.

I would add a bottom 3 protected choice in the 2nd 1st rounder just in case, don't need the arrogant Burke approach... but I would do it in a heart beat, Karlsson would elevate this from almost contenders to one of the favorites to win the cup.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2018, 09:10:36 AM »
It's not the worst offer, especially if Ottawa turns JVR into a 1st or more.

I just don't think with the team drowning and looking to get a new building, they'll trade their best player to their biggest rival.

Melnyk seems very upset that the Leafs regularly embarrass them by selling out their arena and turning games in Ottawa into home games for Toronto.

There are rumors out there that Carolina and Detroit could make a deal for Justin Faulk and AA.

If I was the Leafs GM I'd be all over that trying to outbid Detroit. Faulk isn't having an amazing year, but he's still a top-four caliber right shot dman.

Offline Kaberle15

• Veteran
  • They Did it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2018, 09:18:34 AM »
Since Ottawa is the other home town for the Leafs...  ::)

Also, we traded or Captain for basically nothing, we are talking about 3 Garantees Picks + a potential asset that could land another 2 high picks... for a rebuilding team on a Budget...

Falk is not a bad idea also or Green.. if the price is right and Karlsson isn't avaliable...

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2018, 09:46:59 AM »

Yeah, like WIGWAL says there's just no way the sense would trade Karlsson here.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2018, 09:49:14 AM »
I just don't think with the team drowning and looking to get a new building, they'll trade their best player to their biggest rival.

Melnyk seems very upset that the Leafs regularly embarrass them by selling out their arena and turning games in Ottawa into home games for Toronto.

Melnyk would send Karlsson somewhere else for free before even considering trading him here for a fair offer.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2018, 10:05:29 AM »
Just my read on the Leafs trade block likelihoods

JvR - not likely; high offer required
Bozak - not likely; high offer required
Komarov - 2nd rder and up
Polak - not likely; 1st rd pick not withstanding
Moore - open to a 4C swap, or better centre package
Martin - wait until off season, or to a contender that Martin likes
Leivo - gone for middle round pick(s)
Soshnikov - 2nd rder and up, unless Komarov goes

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2018, 01:15:49 PM »
Coming soon to a Leafs lineup:
Johnsson - Willy - Hyman

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2018, 01:30:18 PM »
Coming soon to a Leafs lineup:
Johnsson - Willy - Hyman

If Johnsson - Willy - Hyman is a line does that make your Matthews line Brown - Matthews - Kapanen?

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2018, 01:36:58 PM »
If Johnsson - Willy - Hyman is a line does that make your Matthews line Brown - Matthews - Kapanen?

JvR - Matthews - Kapanen sounds more fun, you joke ruiner, you.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2018, 01:36:58 PM »