Author Topic: Trade Deadline  (Read 15740 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Trade Deadline
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2018, 10:12:51 AM »
https://theathletic.com/239110/2018/02/16/why-the-maple-leafs-should-chase-another-centre-at-the-trade-deadline/

Jonas Siegel doing the legwork on selling my idea of focusing on bolstering the centres, rather than fixating on a top-2 RHD.

This article doesn't even mention Tavares so nobody should click it.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2018, 10:20:52 AM »
https://theathletic.com/239110/2018/02/16/why-the-maple-leafs-should-chase-another-centre-at-the-trade-deadline/

Jonas Siegel doing the legwork on selling my idea of focusing on bolstering the centres, rather than fixating on a top-2 RHD.

This article doesn't even mention Tavares so nobody should click it.

No sense in going for him at the deadline though.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2018, 02:51:28 PM »

For weeks I've been so terrified that this would happen I didn't even want to bring it up.

Online louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Treestar
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2018, 03:15:46 PM »

For weeks I've been so terrified that this would happen I didn't even want to bring it up.

Oh please, no.  His contract is terrible, and really he's not any better than Moore.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2018, 03:27:19 PM »

Unless it's straight up for Martin . . . and even then, no.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2018, 03:35:43 PM »
Also horrifying but to a lesser extent, the Pens are shopping Matt Hunwick.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2018, 05:44:52 PM »
Also horrifying but to a lesser extent, the Pens are shopping Matt Hunwick.
For Roman Polak and a sack of magic beans?
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2018, 05:59:31 PM »
I really hope the leafs do nothing.

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2018, 06:25:05 PM »
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2018, 09:49:30 PM »
If they do this it's proof positive that Dubas and his analytics department have become completely isolated and tuned out within the organization.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2018, 06:23:10 AM »

Do we really need a 4th line Center to pull Matthews down to 15 minutes per game?  It just seems like any 4th line acquisition just replaces Moore and that’s likely a rental and certainly not a guy who turns the Leafs into a bigger threat against Tampa.

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2018, 10:12:24 AM »
If they do this it's proof positive that Dubas and his analytics department have become completely isolated and tuned out within the organization.

I think that's a little hyperbolic, no?

You said yourself the other day that there are variables in these transactions that aren't represented in math.

I have friends in the industry, and they say that math has a lot to do with these sorts of deals, but you're still dealing with group dynamics, personality clashes, attitude issues with negative people, cliques and friends of people that you don't want to offend, etc...  And because a lot of these people are very young with a lot of money, some start to not give a damn about what anyone says, and problems can be a result of that.  Some are just plain bad employees that don't do as asked, and sometimes you have to remove them for the overall betterment of the group.  Some are great employees that help out with the overall result, even if their individual math suggests they only have a marginal impact on a given result.

I don't defer to authority, and I don't usually challenge these sorts of things as a fan because I really don't have the information that influences these decisions outside of math data that we have access to.

Online sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2018, 11:31:13 AM »
I personally think Leivo is good depth, and the team will need him next year when someone inevitably leaves the organization.  At this point I don't think the Leafs should do much unless a very good deal comes along.  They don't have any glaring weaknesses IMO, and really when the team has just gone 9-1, even beating teams like Tampa Bay, Columbus, and Nashville, should you really change anything?

I hear a lot of flak about Polak, Komarov, and Martin, and while a lot of that is perfectly justified, those guys still play an important role on the team and they are good depth and good pieces to have in the playoffs.  Komarov is an elite penalty killer and I don't think he's as bad as everyone says he is.  He is a prototypical fourth line player and I have no issue with him playing that role on this team.  You've got to have a guy like Martin on the team despite how much the NHL has changed.  And Polak, well, of those three guys I like him the least because he's too slow and I find him a defensive liability.  So if they get rid of anyone I think it should be him, and perhaps make a deal for an upgrade on defense.  But even with that being said, Polak isn't *that* bad, particularly if he's being used as a seventh defenseman.

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2018, 11:38:51 AM »
You've got to have a guy like Martin on the team despite how much the NHL has changed. 

Why?

Online sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2018, 11:51:31 AM »
You've got to have a guy like Martin on the team despite how much the NHL has changed. 

Why?
Protection for guys like Auston Matthews.  Just ask Mats Sundin what he thinks of Tie Domi.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2018, 11:51:31 AM »