Author Topic: Lightning @ Leafs - Jan. 2nd, 7:00pm - SNO, Fan 590  (Read 2262 times)

Offline wnc096

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Lightning @ Leafs - Jan. 2nd, 7:00pm - SNO, Fan 590
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2018, 09:46:37 PM »
Man we are getting thoroughly outclassed. Why can't we take the next step?

I hate to keep harping on it, but coaching is part of it. Some players getting more ice time than they deserve/being in the lineup over more useful players, and the current system has sucked the speed out of the team's game, while also not providing a ton of help in the defensive end.

I'm not quite ready to say Babs should be on thin ice, but I think management needs to take away some of his favourite toys, and give him a talking to about how he plays with the others.

Isn't management telling the coach how to do his job how so many teams have gone down the toilet?  (including the Leafs in the past)

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 02, 2018, 09:47:09 PM »
None of that is happening.

I'm not just talking about tonight - though Komarov got more ice time than he probably should have, and the 4th line probably shouldn't have seen the ice in the 3rd.

I know.  But there is no way Babcock is going to be overruled by Shanahan or Lou or anyone else. 

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 02, 2018, 09:48:00 PM »
Isn't management telling the coach how to do his job how so many teams have gone down the toilet?  (including the Leafs in the past)

If you're talking micromanaging, sure. If you're pointing out that a strategy isn't working and guys like Hyman shouldn't be leading the forwards in ice time? I'm okay with that.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 02, 2018, 09:48:02 PM »
Man we are getting thoroughly outclassed. Why can't we take the next step?

I don't think it's been that one sided.  I thought the Leafs managed some pressure on them.  I think Tampa has the better defence, and their forward group has more talent, so I think this is a fairly good showing.

Yeah I was fully expecting to get dominated but it's been pretty close I think. That 1st goal was the back-breaker. If the Leafs got an opportunity like that first who knows what would have happened.

Definitely a better showing than against Vegas.  I think this just shows where the Leafs have to get to.  Tampa could skate with Toronto, and they capitalized on their chances.   
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 02, 2018, 09:48:53 PM »
I know.  But there is no way Babcock is going to be overruled by Shanahan or Lou or anyone else.

Probably not, and, I do think he's smart enough a coach to eventually figure it out. It just frustrates me that he hasn't yet/hasn't been able to get the message to the players yet.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 02, 2018, 09:49:45 PM »
Is that the first time we've been shutout this year?

Second. They were shutout by Minny last month.

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 02, 2018, 09:51:46 PM »

Probably not, and, I do think he's smart enough a coach to eventually figure it out. It just frustrates me that he hasn't yet/hasn't been able to get the message to the players yet.

Well, like we've said before he is going to get them to play like the Wings and nothing is going to stand in his way.  And really, the fact that they played Tampa pretty darn even only strengthens his case, if indeed there is any arguing going on behind the scenes with the rest of the brass, which I rather doubt.  They all know where the weaknesses are.

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 02, 2018, 09:52:09 PM »
Is that the first time we've been shutout this year?

Second. They were shutout by Minny last month.

Thanks.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 02, 2018, 09:53:33 PM »
Losing on only an awkward faux-pas (that Kunitz made a great play on), and a bad line change, and running into a very hot goalie against the top team in the league is a plus in my books. Didn't get steamrolled, and got a good close look at what we could be playing like. Tampa's defense corps is not much stronger than ours (other than Hedman being world-class, and Stralman being really solid in his middle-man minutes).

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 02, 2018, 09:54:30 PM »
Playing VGK and Tampa back to back is interesting.  One is a fluke.  The other looks like it's finally going to get the Cup.  That's one strong team.  Sergachev for Drouin for godssakes.

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 02, 2018, 09:55:38 PM »
Losing on only an awkward faux-pas (that Kunitz made a great play on), and a bad line change, and running into a very hot goalie against the top team in the league is a plus in my books. Didn't get steamrolled, and got a good close look at what we could be playing like. Tampa's defense corps is not much stronger than ours (other than Hedman being world-class, and Stralman being really solid in his middle-man minutes).

I think you may have just refuted yourself. 

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 02, 2018, 10:00:36 PM »

I think you may have just refuted yourself.

I have to say, Reilly was really strong tonight.  Also, I kinda liked Gardiner's drunken monkey skating style tonight.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 02, 2018, 11:33:37 PM »

Happy New Year.
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline lamajama

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 02, 2018, 11:41:04 PM »
I thought the 4th line was all right.  It was when they, or any line for that matter was paired with Polak et al.  That was the issue. Marincin was tried and wasn't the answer. Carrick isn't the answer either so let's try more Marlies or make a deal. 

Unfortunately Polak is in Babcock's penthouse suite right now.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Online hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 03, 2018, 12:43:41 AM »
The way Marner was flying out there, the only thing missing was a cape.  :D

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #164 on: January 03, 2018, 12:43:41 AM »