Author Topic: Henrique to Ducks Vatanen to Devils  (Read 629 times)

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Henrique to Ducks Vatanen to Devils
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 11:20:30 AM »
Shero just upgraded on the departed Larsson for spare parts (one of which was a Devils icon of sorts).

Hall + Vatanen + maybe pick for Larsson, Blandisi, Henrique, middle pick.

Upgrade on Larsson?  Man, Larsson may not provide the offense Vatanen does (which he mostly does on the PP) but he's a heck of a lot better 5v5.  I'd want Larsson way more than Vatanen.  That said, I'd take Hall + Vatanen over Larsson + Henrique though.

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 11:49:33 AM »
I think bottom line, the Leafs need a D to bump Carrick and/or Polak outta the lineup and, hopefully, bump Hainsey out of the top 4.

Vatanen, maybe, could have done that. I would have liked to see what Babcock could have done with him. Vatanen maybe wasn't the best option, but he might have been the only option.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 12:03:46 PM »
Upgrade on Larsson?  Man, Larsson may not provide the offense Vatanen does (which he mostly does on the PP) but he's a heck of a lot better 5v5.  I'd want Larsson way more than Vatanen.

I'd rather have Larsson on the Leafs for sure, but I think that Vatanen is a better fit for the Devils. Their defence was really lacking in mobility/scoring, and they still have Greene and Severson to handle more of the defensive responsibilities.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 12:12:57 PM »
Upgrade on Larsson?  Man, Larsson may not provide the offense Vatanen does (which he mostly does on the PP) but he's a heck of a lot better 5v5.  I'd want Larsson way more than Vatanen.

I'd rather have Larsson on the Leafs for sure, but I think that Vatanen is a better fit for the Devils. Their defence was really lacking in mobility/scoring, and they still have Greene and Severson to handle more of the defensive responsibilities.

That's kind of what I was saying as I was speaking from the Devils' perspective, but Carlton was more clear. Vatanen is the flavour of middle-pairing defenseman that NJD could use.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 12:34:27 PM »

That's kind of what I was saying as I was speaking from the Devils' perspective, but Carlton was more clear. Vatanen is the flavour of middle-pairing defenseman that NJD could use.

The problem is, Vatanen is not a good middle-pairing defenseman.  He's only ever been good playing a sheltered role (3rd pair) with PP minutes:

https://theathletic.com/65803/2017/06/09/leafs-should-sidestep-any-deal-for-defenceman-sami-vatanen/

I do agree that for NJ, Vatanen is a better fit than on the Leafs.  Then again, Will Butcher is lighting it up on the PP (10 points on the PP) so Vatanen is not required quite as much.

But I still disagree that NJ "upgraded" from Larsson which is what it sounded like herman was saying.  Overall, yes they upgraded- but not on their defense.  Their big upgrade was adding Hall who I think is one of the best wingers in the league.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 12:52:37 PM »
BAD NEWS!!!! TREBUCHET FAILED!!!! THEY HAD A PLAN!!!! SOME SAY IT WAS A SHANAPLAN!!!!!
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 12:52:37 PM »