Author Topic: Leafs @ Flames - Nov. 28th, 9:00pm - TSN4, TSN 1050  (Read 2274 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs @ Flames - Nov. 28th, 9:00pm - TSN4, TSN 1050
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2017, 12:08:39 PM »
I hate these "full team effort" games...gives us nothing to complain about the next day.

It's no fun lauding everybody.  Polak goes and scores a damn goal, effectively removing him from our gunsights for a day or so.  Borgman has a good game, so he gets a reprieve.

Martin had to be terrible last night, no? 

McBackup literally did nothing last night.
Frank was right

#ButMartyIsANHLer

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2017, 12:23:21 PM »
I hate these "full team effort" games...gives us nothing to complain about the next day.

It's no fun lauding everybody.  Polak goes and scores a damn goal, effectively removing him from our gunsights for a day or so.  Borgman has a good game, so he gets a reprieve.

I think he logged faceoff results.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2017, 01:34:25 PM »

And got them really, really wrong no doubt.

UNLESS THE KASKIKUSKIO

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2017, 01:58:25 PM »

And got them really, really wrong no doubt.

UNLESS THE KASKIKUSKIO

Another prospect languishing in the minor leagues, no doubt.

What a waste of an asset. 

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2017, 07:20:24 AM »

Martin was brutal. I mean, I didn't watch the game, be clearly he was bad, especially on that one play.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »
That was a really odd play by Rielly to cross the ice like that.

I wasn't able to check this thread in-game and finally got around to it now.  It does look odd as it isn't conventional. According to Bourne at the Athletic, its becoming much more common in the NHL though:

https://theathletic.com/169553/2017/11/29/bourne-how-todays-defencemen-try-to-kill-oncoming-rushes-before-they-even-start/

... something you see with increasing frequency around the NHL. As a team comes into possession of the puck in their D-zone and starts to transition into a rush, you'll often see the weak-side opposing D skate at the puck carrier, rather than just backing out and receiving the rush.
It looks hyper-aggressive, but the more you see it and get comfortable with it, you realize the benefits far outweigh the risks, assuming the D-man executes well.

The article is actually rather short, and he does more of his breakdown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO94W9pec0s

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2017, 11:24:47 AM »
I actually noticed Polak doing this against the Flames too and was flabbergasted.

I don't think of him as someone with the footspeed to be this aggressive normally, but I guess it makes sense if it works and slows the opposition.

Thanks for the video Coco, I'll definitely be subscribing to Bourne's channel.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2017, 11:42:00 AM »
Penguins did similar things last year with their weaker defense corps. Hyper aggressive gapping on turnover rushes to give time for their much better forwards to motor back into recovering the puck in the NZ.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2017, 11:47:57 AM »
I actually noticed Polak doing this against the Flames too and was flabbergasted.

I don't think of him as someone with the footspeed to be this aggressive normally, but I guess it makes sense if it works and slows the opposition.

Thanks for the video Coco, I'll definitely be subscribing to Bourne's channel.

Yeah, I think its especially effective when you recognize a 3 on 2 is potentially coming.  It gives your forwards a bit more time to catch up to the play.  If you just back off and try and "zone" a 3-on-2, they will gain the o-zone rather quickly and your forwards are still caught.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2017, 12:55:24 PM »
Penguins did similar things last year with their weaker defense corps. Hyper aggressive gapping on turnover rushes to give time for their much better forwards to motor back into recovering the puck in the NZ.

So were the Leafs trying this earlier, and it just took time for them to get it, or is this a change in tatic during the season?  They seemed to be way more effective the last couple of games in limiting odd man rushes.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2017, 01:19:04 PM »

So were the Leafs trying this earlier, and it just took time for them to get it, or is this a change in tatic during the season?  They seemed to be way more effective the last couple of games in limiting odd man rushes.

Honestly, I only noticed the North-South aggression and didn't realize it could be applied East-West until Bourne pointed it out. I'll certainly be watching for it now.

What I did notice was Polak on the left wall pinching down to the goal-line last game, which was crazy cakes. I wondered how he ended up there, and now I have an idea why. It's not optimal that it's Polak, but the fact that a turnover rush turned into Roman Polak forechecking deep in enemy territory sort of speaks to its effectiveness (or at least surprise factor).

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2017, 01:25:07 PM »

Honestly, I only noticed the North-South aggression and didn't realize it could be applied East-West until Bourne pointed it out. I'll certainly be watching for it now.

What I did notice was Polak on the left wall pinching down to the goal-line last game, which was crazy cakes. I wondered how he ended up there, and now I have an idea why. It's not optimal that it's Polak, but the fact that a turnover rush turned into Roman Polak forechecking deep in enemy territory sort of speaks to its effectiveness (or at least surprise factor).

Yeah, I noticed that too...I think that was on the Kadri goal.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2017, 01:35:58 PM »

Polak went deep on that play, but he was on the right wing boards off the faceoff. The one I'm thinking of was earlier in the game. L K and I noted it at around 10:19, and Hyman connected with Zaitsev a few shifts later.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2017, 01:39:21 PM »

Polak went deep on that play, but he was on the right wing boards off the faceoff. The one I'm thinking of was earlier in the game. L K and I noted it at around 10:19, and Hyman connected with Zaitsev a few shifts later.

Yeah, it was the Kadri one I was referring to...Polak going in to pinch in deep'ish on the boards makes me nervous, but that play worked out as he forced a turnover there.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2017, 01:39:21 PM »