Author Topic: Komarov: Sell or Keep?  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Komarov: Sell or Keep?
« on: November 17, 2017, 05:32:45 PM »
It's not outside the realm of possibility that either Komarov, Bozak and JVR are all traded before seasons end (or some combination of above).  Sosh, Kapanen, Leivo are in the mix for these positions. Obviously we need to have or make some openings as our younguns start to mature. And for a lot less a year than the 10.95 million we are paying the vets this year and the fairly large increase we are going to have to pay JVR to keep him.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:48:40 PM by CarltonTheBear »
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Komarov: Sell or Keep?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 06:32:23 PM »
WHY would he do this?
It's not outside the realm of possibility that either Komarov, Bozak and JVR are all traded before seasons end (or some combination of above).  Sosh, Kapanen, Leivo are in the mix for these positions. Obviously we need to have or make some openings as our younguns start to mature. And for a lot less a year than the 10.95 million we are paying the vets this year and the fairly large increase we are going to have to pay JVR to keep him.

Also other good suggestions have been made by others on the forum
I disagree with the comment that they would be traded at or prior to the deadline. The only reason you trade them at the deadline is if your not expecting the team to do well in the playoffs. IMO

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 08:55:16 PM »
WHY would he do this?

Also other good suggestions have been made by others on the forum
I disagree with the comment that they would be traded at or prior to the deadline. The only reason you trade them at the deadline is if your not expecting the team to do well in the playoffs. IMO

Or you can turn them in assets that strengthen year team in the long run.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 09:10:28 PM »
Or Ottawa really wants to commit seppuku and goes, hey Lou, Phaneuf said Bozak and JvR and Komarov are really good, so you guys want Karlsson for him?

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 10:12:24 PM »
Or you can turn them in assets that strengthen year team in the long run.

Or, sometimes, you have players in the system you can contribute the same amount or more in the same role, and that gives the opportunity to keep building up the kind of pipeline teams need to be contenders for an extended period.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 10:32:48 PM »

Or you just don't think Leo Komarov is going to be a difference maker in the playoffs.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 10:43:22 PM »

Or you just don't think Leo Komarov is going to be a difference maker in the playoffs.

Yup.  He's definitely not the type that would help you in tighter checking, more physical contests against better players.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 11:00:50 PM »
Yup.  He's definitely not the type that would help you in tighter checking, more physical contests against better players.

I'll say. The Caps last year were so intimidated they only managed to take 59% of the 5v5 shots with him on the ice. 

Of course, you do have to weigh that against his one assist in 13 playoff games,
-Mark Twain

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 12:12:58 AM »

I'll say. The Caps last year were so intimidated they only managed to take 59% of the 5v5 shots with him on the ice. 

Of course, you do have to weigh that against his one assist in 13 playoff games,

Yup, I'm sure we have lots of guys who can be hard-matched against Backstrom/Ovechkin for 6 games, start in the defensive zone a ton, and sport a -1.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 06:01:49 AM »
Yup, I'm sure we have lots of guys who can be hard-matched against Backstrom/Ovechkin for 6 games, start in the defensive zone a ton, and sport a -1.

Well, there were the other two guys on his line. Although they only shot par, they didn't manage a -1. Hockey's like golf, right?

But as integral as Komarov I'm sure was to the killer defensive strategy of letting Backstrom and Ovechkin take so many shots they eventually got tired and sleepy...I'm not sure that's evidence that he's absolutely irreplaceable or would prove to be the margin of victory in a significant playoff series.
-Mark Twain

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 12:04:11 PM »

He and his line mates did a wonderful job of allowing the line of Ovechkin/Backstrom/Oshie to only score 6 of the 8 goals they scored at even strength - and that doesn't include goals that may have been scored by defencemen with them on the ice.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline anton girdeaux

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 03:21:55 PM »
Trade block/part of a package?

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 04:49:25 PM »

He and his line mates did a wonderful job of allowing the line of Ovechkin/Backstrom/Oshie to only score 6 of the 8 goals they scored at even strength - and that doesn't include goals that may have been scored by defencemen with them on the ice.

Fact check:

Washington scored 13 even strength goals during the series (12 @ 5v5), not 8.  Only 5 of them came with at least two of those guys on the ice.  Oshie was on the ice for another goal with a different line, so your number 6 is only slightly correct. 

Komarov was on for 2 GF and 3 GA at even-strength all against Backstrom/Ovie.  Two more goals were scored with Backstrom/Oshie (no Ovie), both of which Matthews was on the ice for.*

(* In no way am I saying Matthews was in any way bad- he was fantastic in that series. Just got the wrong end of being against Backstrom (-1))

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 05:32:22 PM »
Fact check:

Washington scored 13 even strength goals during the series (12 @ 5v5), not 8. 

I'm really not sure how you could read Busta's first line there and think he was saying Washington only scored 8 goals as opposed to those three players.

And again, we're back to "He's not irreplaceable" which does not mean the same thing as "he has no value".
-Mark Twain

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »
What's the argument here?  That Komarov isn't good enough defensively against OV and Backstrom?  I'm trying to sift through the sarcasm to extrapolate a point to this.

Pretty much any player is "replaceable".

Komarov has been pretty well established around here in terms of being a strong defensive and physical presence.  So if he's replaceable, who is the substitute we're suggesting could take his place?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »