Author Topic: Roy Halladay dies in Plane Crash  (Read 671 times)

Online Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Roy Halladay dies in Plane Crash
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 11:53:08 AM »
What a loss.  As they were remarking on the radio, he was one of those rare guys that after he left your team, you really cheered for him.

I remember once coming home from work and my wife spontaneously said "let's go to the Blue Jays game".  The game was about to start, and we figured it would take an hour to get to the game, but we went anyway.  We got to the park, late as expected, and were shocked to see the game was already in the 7th inning!  Why?  Because Halladay was pitching, and not only did that always mean a quick game, but than we realized he was also pitching a no-hitter.  He finished up with a complete game 2-hitter.  Just masterful.  If I recall correctly, I think the game even went 10 innings.

Some pitchers that have tossed no-hitters and perfect games are just good pitchers who just happened to have the stars align for them once.  Roy Halladay was so dominant that pitching both a no-hitter and a perfect game was really an inevitability for him, it was just a matter of time.

It's just a really sad loss of a great pitcher and a guy that I never heard a bad word about.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 07:14:40 PM »
Just seeing that after his perfect game (during which there were solid defensive plays) Roy purchased 60 watches for his teammates with the inscription "thanks, couldn't have done it without you."
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Online Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 12:22:08 AM »
Ken Rosethal's piece on Halladay, on theathletic, not behind a paywall.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Ok Blue Jays
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 04:33:20 PM »
Was much more than just a great player for the Jays. He and his wife Brandy were a class act in the community. During the dark years of franchise he was our bright spots, we had the best of something in baseball. We may have had sub par teams but we could hang our hats on having the best pitcher in the game.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 09:17:36 PM »

I am definitely cutting a whole bag of onions right now.

Online hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 06:40:18 AM »
Beautiful celebration.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 06:40:18 AM »