Author Topic: Jays Roster Discussion  (Read 41257 times)

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Jays Roster Discussion
« Reply #720 on: September 07, 2018, 10:03:04 AM »
I guess Shapiro should have said "We are, just like literally every other organization would do/has done in our situation, keeping Guerrero in the minors to avoid starting his service clock and to keep an extra asset on our 40-man roster that would otherwise be gone for nothing, because the season is over and there is not one reasonable reason to bring Guerrero up right now."

I mean he could have said that but I'm not sure that's the smartest thing for him to say.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 07, 2018, 10:33:44 AM »
I guess Shapiro should have said "We are, just like literally every other organization would do/has done in our situation, keeping Guerrero in the minors to avoid starting his service clock and to keep an extra asset on our 40-man roster that would otherwise be gone for nothing, because the season is over and there is not one reasonable reason to bring Guerrero up right now."

I mean he could have said that but I'm not sure that's the smartest thing for him to say.
He should say that. The Jays are not violating any rules.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 07, 2018, 10:46:07 AM »

I don't for a second believe that if Shapiro had been forthright about service time concerns that the fans who look to give him crap about everything wouldn't then talk about how terrible it is that he doesn't care about giving fans buying September tickets something to cheer for.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 07, 2018, 12:19:04 PM »

So, who cares what he says? Not only do I agree with Nik about these fans still finding a way to give him crap but, regardless, the proper course of action is still being taken. I much prefer that than to having a nice, young, upstart Canadian President/GM who keeps making terrible decisions but is always up front about them.

Offline TimKerr

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 07, 2018, 12:54:45 PM »

So, who cares what he says? Not only do I agree with Nik about these fans still finding a way to give him crap but, regardless, the proper course of action is still being taken. I much prefer that than to having a nice, young, upstart Canadian President/GM who keeps making terrible decisions but is always up front about them.

Also, I've watched Vlad play live a few times and yes his defence is not that strong. So yes they are saving his service time but his defence isn't good either.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 07, 2018, 01:13:34 PM »

Another thing to consider is that with a manager who's probably on the way out and a clubhouse full of underperforming vets there's a real chance that it might not be the best environment to give a kid his first taste of the big leagues and, if that's true, it's also the sort of thing you can't really say.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 07, 2018, 02:20:07 PM »

Another thing to consider is that with a manager who's probably on the way out and a clubhouse full of underperforming vets there's a real chance that it might not be the best environment to give a kid his first taste of the big leagues and, if that's true, it's also the sort of thing you can't really say.
By the way, I totally agree with keeping Vlad in the minors to save a year of control. If him being up didn't burn a year of control he would be up right now. To suggest he wouldn't be up otherwise is crazy.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 07, 2018, 02:40:41 PM »

This is how I feel, and I agree that it's not something you can really say.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #727 on: September 07, 2018, 02:40:41 PM »