Author Topic: Leafs @ Sharks - Oct. 30th, 10:30pm - SNO, TSN 1050  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs @ Sharks - Oct. 30th, 10:30pm - SNO, TSN 1050
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 02:27:37 PM »
I mean, I love the way his teams play -- or, uh, did during the last two seasons -- but, as far as deploying talent in the system to maximize performance, I'm beginning to think that he.... sort of sucks... That his dumb old-school quirks are now creating worse outcomes at least 4 spots in the line-up... That these crappy moves are covered when he's got a Matthews, Nylander, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, or Lidstrom or two or three going... That, over the last couple weeks, he's been sounding increasingly like Randy Carlyle and showing as much creativity... That he's as much a fraud as any motivational speaker you'd encounter in an exurban chain hotel's ballroom...

Easy there.... 

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 02:29:48 PM »
How good would this look:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
JVR-Marleau-Marner
Martin*-Bozak-Leivo

*Kap or Sosh there instead ideally but I'm trying to be real.

So I like it.  But I would like to keep Marleau on the wing and move Nylander to center.  It feels like they are grooming Nylander to be a center, as they have him taking some draws this year.  But that means that someone on the left side has to switch to right.  So maybe something like:

Hyman - Matthews - Leivo
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Brown
Martin - Bozak - Komarov.

You could switch Leivo out for one of Marner or Brown if you are so inclined.
I agree with you that the lines to date need a tweak. What those lines look like I am not exactly sure but I would like to see a capable defensive forward on each line. I would put one of: Hyman, Brown, Kamarov and Kadri on each line.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 02:39:23 PM »
Another line-up that I think I've posted before that completely blows up the Bozak line (which can really only happen by trading JVR IMO) and best spreads out the defensive talent among the forwards:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Komarov-Kadri-Marner
Marleau-Bozak-Brown
Martin-Moore-Leivo

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 02:41:43 PM »
I mean, I love the way his teams play -- or, uh, did during the last two seasons -- but, as far as deploying talent in the system to maximize performance, I'm beginning to think that he.... sort of sucks... That his dumb old-school quirks are now creating worse outcomes at least 4 spots in the line-up... That these crappy moves are covered when he's got a Matthews, Nylander, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, or Lidstrom or two or three going... That, over the last couple weeks, he's been sounding increasingly like Randy Carlyle and showing as much creativity... That he's as much a fraud as any motivational speaker you'd encounter in an exurban chain hotel's ballroom...

I'm frustrated too, but put in to context, they only lost two games in a row.  Sure it's not so much the loses, but the way the way they lost so that is concerning.  However, the Leafs did hire Mike Babcock, not P.T. Barnum.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 02:44:15 PM »
Another line-up that I think I've posted before that completely blows up the Bozak line (which can really only happen by trading JVR IMO) and best spreads out the defensive talent among the forwards:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Komarov-Kadri-Marner
Marleau-Bozak-Brown
Martin-Moore-Leivo

I like that lineup a lot.  Not that I don't like JVR, but seeing that lineup really speaks to why trading JVR may be a good thing.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 02:59:03 PM »

Not gonna lie I saw this picture posted on twitter earlier this morning and I thought "oh that's cute Marleau said hi with one of San Jose's old equipment managers or arena maintenance staff".

That's Owen Nolan.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 03:23:20 PM »
Did Leivo get a hattrick last game?  No?  Too bad so sad.

Aha, that's the answer.  He just played gud, not real gud.

See?  It's his own fault.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2017, 03:55:34 PM »

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Komarov-Kadri-Marner
Marleau-Bozak-Brown
Martin-Moore-Leivo

I don't usually spend time critiquing hypothetical lineups, but the only scoring threat on the left side is Marleau.

I think you need another scoring threat on the left side on another one of those top-3 lines.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2017, 03:55:37 PM »
So usually the west coast swing is:

- Get beat by the Sharks (Marleau was usually a Leaf killer).
- 50/50 game with the Kings
- 50/50 game with the Ducks.

I hope now that Marleau is on the Leafs they can maybe win a game in San Jose.  If they do, then if they can get a win in either L.A. or Anahiem, then that part of the trip could be considered a success.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 04:04:58 PM »
So usually the west coast swing is:

- Get beat by the Sharks (Marleau was usually a Leaf killer).
- 50/50 game with the Kings
- 50/50 game with the Ducks.

I hope now that Marleau is on the Leafs they can maybe win a game in San Jose.  If they do, then if they can get a win in either L.A. or Anahiem, then that part of the trip could be considered a success.

IIRC it's with St. Louis tacked on this Saturday.  4 games on the road against good opponents in 6 nights.  Major, major test to see just how good this team is.

Online L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2017, 04:13:22 PM »
Leivo sitting after last game is a joke.

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 04:24:58 PM »

I'd like a media member to quote Babcock's comment back to him and ask why Leivo is out of the lineup after being arguably the Leafs 2nd best forward.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 04:26:05 PM »

I'd like a media member to quote Babcock's comment back to him and ask why Leivo is out of the lineup after being arguably the Leafs 2nd best forward.

Yea, I keep waiting for an answer to that. He has absolutely no excuse.

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 05:59:10 PM »
The lineup b****ing is getting terribly tiresome guys. Every single game it's Leivo this and Martin that...

GO LEAFS GO
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2017, 06:06:25 PM »
The lineup b****ing is getting terribly tiresome guys. Every single game it's Leivo this and Martin that...

GO LEAFS GO

1 - You being a relentless fanboy could also be described as tiresome.

2 - Babcock "If you play well, you won't get taken out of the lineup."
     Fans and media "wow Josh Leivo played great, he must be excited given Babcock's comments."
     Babcock "Take a seat Josh, Matt Martin come on down."

If you have a problem with people pointing out the sheer lunacy of #2 then go look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself if you're really being objective.

We all want the Leafs to win here, calling them on their BS is perfectly acceptable.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2017, 06:06:25 PM »