Author Topic: Copying vs Paraphrasing content from other websites  (Read 142 times)

Offline Rick Couchman

• Administrator
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
Copying vs Paraphrasing content from other websites
« on: October 11, 2017, 02:40:05 PM »
1.  If the content you wish to share is behind a paywall/pay website, none of it should be copied word-for-word. It's okay to paraphrase a short recap of an idea, but must not be plagarized in any way.  And the link, as always, must be posted so that credit goes back to the source/author.

2.  If it's not behind a paywall, nothing more than a very short paragraph or concept should be copied (again paraphrasing is better), and the link always needs to be exposed.  The source/author again must always be provided to point the reader back to the original content.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Copying vs Paraphrasing content from other websites
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 02:41:44 PM »
1.  If the content you wish to share is behind a paywall/pay website, none of it should be copied word-for-word. It's okay to paraphrase a short recap of an idea, but must not be plagarized in any way.  And the link, as always, must be posted so that credit goes back to the source/author.

2.  If it's not behind a paywall, nothing more than a very short paragraph or concept should be copied (again paraphrasing is better), and the link always needs to be exposed.  The source/author again must always be provided to point the reader back to the original content.

Thank you for clarifying.  I was under the impression that a short quote- a few lines- from an article behind a paywall would be allowed.  I've seen many others do it.  But thanks for putting that to bed.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 02:49:07 PM »
I don't think your level of quotation would constitute plagiarisation as you're clearly not using their words as if it was your own idea and using the quote tags to boot.

I generally try to avoid spilling beans from deeper in the article, even on the non-paywalled ones, but sometimes that's where the facts to back up your point are.

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 03:04:30 PM »
I don't think your level of quotation would constitute plagiarisation as you're clearly not using their words as if it was your own idea and using the quote tags to boot.

I generally try to avoid spilling beans from deeper in the article, even on the non-paywalled ones, but sometimes that's where the facts to back up your point are.

Agreed.

Also, the authors often put the quoted stuff here on twitter etc for free to draw people in, the first few paragraphs are usually open on every Athletic article.

People here doing the same thing seems fair to me and I have no doubt that at least one, if not more of the posters here have subscribed to The Athletic as a direct result of people here talking about how good the service is.

As long as anything posted here is whatever is in the public domain and then anything behind a paywall is paraphrased, there shouldn't be much issue.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 03:04:30 PM »