Author Topic: Blackhawks @ Leafs - Oct. 9th, 7:00pm - TSN4, TSN 1050  (Read 2443 times)

Offline WAYNEINIONA

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Blackhawks @ Leafs - Oct. 9th, 7:00pm - TSN4, TSN 1050
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2017, 07:39:06 AM »
Great win.  Man this team is fun to watch!   This is going to be a fun ride.
x2

Online Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2017, 08:19:13 AM »
A whole five minutes of ice time for Mr Matt Martin.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2017, 09:18:22 AM »
I was deliberately watching for Martin and his work on the ice.

I missed this one:
Honestly, that's a great heads up move.

Another instance was when Fehr and Brown forechecked the puck carrier around the net and forced a turnover, Martin was coming around the other side and had a chance to really bury the guy into next week and elected to let him pass as he no longer had the puck.

He finished safe (if uncomfortable) hits on the forecheck and was generally quick to the puck to force quick decisions by the defense.

Offline Kaberle15

• Veteran
  • They Did it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »

And Leivo at the pressbox...
A.K.A Gardiner51, Changed back to Kaberle15 now that he is retired.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2017, 10:01:48 AM »

Yeah, but again, it's not like you want Leivo taking any of the top-10 ice time when you're down a goal, do you?

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2017, 10:03:08 AM »

As much as I prefer Leivo over Matt Martin (and I really do)...

The fourth line is playing about 6 mins per game at 5-on-5 while the other lines take the majority of the ice-time.  If anything, I'd like to see the Matthews line play MORE at 5-on-5.  That Matthews and Nylander aren't seeing closer to 20 mins a game is kinda disappointing. 

So, with the thought that Martin or Leivo would see 4-5 mins @ 5-on-5 ... I'm perfectly fine with having Martin there in case things get out of hand.  His results last year were largely driven by having AHLers as center men most of the year.  Ben Smith was awful, and the goat was only slightly better (mostly due to percentages).  Now that he has NHL calibre centermen you can see that while he doesn't help a whole lot, he really doesn't hurt you.

And yes, I do agree that Leivo would probably "help" more.  In games like last nights and against the Rangers, where the other team doesn't really have anyone you have to worry about getting out of hand- I see no reason Leivo shouldn't get in there.  Against the Jets (etc), Martin over Leivo is perfectly fine with me.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 10, 2017, 10:29:46 AM »
And yes, I do agree that Leivo would probably "help" more.  In games like last nights and against the Rangers, where the other team doesn't really have anyone you have to worry about getting out of hand- I see no reason Leivo shouldn't get in there.  Against the Jets (etc), Martin over Leivo is perfectly fine with me.

Yeah, this is basically where I'm at. I've accepted that Martin will never be a permanent press box fixture, and he probably wouldn't be on most NHL teams really. But with our depth there's no reason for him to play in every single game. Babs seems comfortable rotating the 4C and 6D right now even after convincing wins. Why not throw Leivo into a game once a week just to keep him fresh? Especially against teams like Chicago who really doesn't have any toughness to their game.

Online Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 10, 2017, 01:50:06 PM »
That's kind of where I'm at. I don't think putting in Leivo on the 4th line will have a significant impact on the results, it's more that I think 6 minutes on the 4th line is better than 0 while sitting in the box. And since Martin only plays even strength, it's not like the team loses anything by sitting him.

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 10, 2017, 02:32:10 PM »
It was neat to some of the overtime combinations for the first time:

Matthews-Nylander-Gardiner
Kadri-Komorov-Reilly
Marner-Marleau-Zaitzev
Bozak-JVR-Reilly
Moore-Brown-Gardiner

Lots of weapons there 2F-1D. What I like is that everyone is pretty responsible in their defensive ice coverage now, making sure they're between their man and the net. Good, hard 30-40 second shifts and off.  Only odd man rush I think was when JVR fell down in the O-zone. I think we'll do better O/T-Shootout this year. Precious points to be had there.
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 10, 2017, 03:04:50 PM »

Kadri-Komorov-Reilly
Marner-Marleau-Zaitzev
Bozak-JVR-Reilly
Moore-Brown-Gardiner

Those weren't the combos (Komarov didn't play in OT and Moore was of course a healthy scratch so you're mistaking him for someone else). It went:

Kadri-Brown-Rielly
Marleau-Marner-Zaitsev
Bozak-JVR-Rielly
Kadri-Brown-Rielly

Thankfully, no Komarov or Hyman or Hainsey (/Hunwick) like we sometimes saw last year.

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 10, 2017, 03:35:40 PM »

Yeah, this is basically where I'm at. I've accepted that Martin will never be a permanent press box fixture, and he probably wouldn't be on most NHL teams really. But with our depth there's no reason for him to play in every single game. Babs seems comfortable rotating the 4C and 6D right now even after convincing wins. Why not throw Leivo into a game once a week just to keep him fresh? Especially against teams like Chicago who really doesn't have any toughness to their game.

I really like Martin's honest attitude and work ethic but I also agree 100% with what you guys are saying.  Leivo/Fehr/Brown would be a decent 3rd line on most teams let alone 4th line.
All The Best
Dan

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 10, 2017, 03:42:36 PM »

Kadri-Komorov-Reilly
Marner-Marleau-Zaitzev
Bozak-JVR-Reilly
Moore-Brown-Gardiner

Those weren't the combos (Komarov didn't play in OT and Moore was of course a healthy scratch so you're mistaking him for someone else). It went:

Kadri-Brown-Rielly
Marleau-Marner-Zaitsev
Bozak-JVR-Rielly
Kadri-Brown-Rielly

Thankfully, no Komarov or Hyman or Hainsey (/Hunwick) like we sometimes saw last year.

corrected
It was neat to some of the POSSIBLE overtime combinations for the first time:

Well... I got three of the five right. My post wasn't meant to be the exact players on the ice for the overtime, just that it's cool to see what we can throw out there.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:46:29 PM by disco »
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #161 on: October 10, 2017, 03:42:36 PM »