Author Topic: Pickard traded to Leafs  (Read 882 times)

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pickard traded to Leafs
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 04:27:58 PM »
I don't know, part of me thinks it's Sparks that they don't like, not McBackup... If Andy goes down, McBackup will need a suitable backup.

I think Sparks sucks and would have kept Bibeau over him.

Bibeau has a 0.906 career save percentage in the AHL, and is coming off a season where he posted 0.894.

Sparks has a 0.922 career save percentage in the AHL, and is coming off a season where he posted 0.922.

Neither are likely NHL options, but there's really nothing to suggest that Sparks isn't a much better goalie than Bibeau right now.

You might be right though that they haven't soured on McBackup quite yet.

I realize Sparks has posted better numbers in the A, but in their NHL stints (obviously very limited sample size, more so for Bibeau), I thought Bibeau was clearly superior to Sparks.

I feel like Sparks' shutout against Edmonton really blinded people.  That was against an atrocious Edmonton team that I believe was missing McDavid.  He was not good in that game and still came away with a shutout.

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 04:32:07 PM »
I also wonder what happens to Kask now - does he get dropped to the ECHL again?  I'd rather have him in the A developing.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 04:34:57 PM »

Their Twitter account is better run than the team so far.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 04:37:01 PM »
I realize Sparks has posted better numbers in the A, but in their NHL stints (obviously very limited sample size, more so for Bibeau), I thought Bibeau was clearly superior to Sparks.

I feel like this move is a pretty clear indication that management wasn't overly confident in any of their pro-level minor league goaltenders to be significant NHL contributors.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 04:38:41 PM »

I feel like Sparks' shutout against Edmonton really blinded people.  That was against an atrocious Edmonton team that I believe was missing McDavid.  He was not good in that game and still came away with a shutout.

I'm not really sure I'd call Bibeau's 2 NHL games a "stint". But like I said before, neither of them really have any NHL potential. MAYBE they can become half-decent back-up goalies, but there's like 60 of those guys kicking around so they aren't hard to acquire (we just picked up a likely pretty good one for basically nothing).

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 04:46:54 PM »
Why did Colorado not keep Pickard? He bad the best save % and goals against last year of all their goalies on that awful team.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 04:48:54 PM »
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 04:50:31 PM »
Why did Colorado not keep Pickard? He bad the best save % and goals against last year of all their goalies on that awful team.

Well they had to expose him or Varlamov and they decided on Varlamov (even though Vegas almost definitely wouldn't have picked him since they already basically had Fleury and he would have been too expensive of a back-up)

Basically, Colorado is pretty stupid.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 04:51:13 PM »

As a guess, it's probably because Varlamov has been a pretty successful #1 and Pickard hasn't.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Bill_Berg

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2017, 04:56:20 PM »

Their Twitter account is better run than the team so far.

Follow!

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 04:58:45 PM »
Calvin Pickard was Team Canada's starter at the World Championships this year where they won the silver medal. In 7 games he posted a 1.49 GAA and .938 save percentage. Those were the 2nd best numbers in the tournament behind Lundqvist who won the gold with a 1.31 GAA and .946 sv%.

Doesn't exactly mean a heck of a lot but still better than not posting good numbers.

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2017, 05:28:41 PM »
This is a great move and not surprising. Leafs can now weather the storm if Andersen goes down for a significant time with an injury. Pickard is a good goalie.

Online sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 05:30:39 PM »
How good of a prospect is Lindberg?  I have no issue with the 6th round pick going to Vegas.  However I'm concerned that Lindberg could be pretty good.

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 05:31:31 PM »

Well they had to expose him or Varlamov and they decided on Varlamov (even though Vegas almost definitely wouldn't have picked him since they already basically had Fleury and he would have been too expensive of a back-up)

Basically, Colorado is pretty stupid.

Agree completely. Bone-head move. Now they have Bernier backing up Varlamov though...

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 05:34:38 PM »
How good of a prospect is Lindberg?  I have no issue with the 6th round pick going to Vegas.  However I'm concerned that Lindberg could be pretty good.

16 points in 44 games as a 21-year-old for the Marlies last year.  :-\

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 05:34:38 PM »