Author Topic: Cap situation  (Read 542 times)

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Cap situation
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 02:57:45 PM »

It's also not the 70's anymore. The difference between a big revenue generating team and a not-big revenue generating team is not whether or not you can get people out to the arena.

Yeah, you're right, selling merch in Vegas is going to be a nightmare.  :-X

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 03:13:23 PM »
Yeah, you're right, selling merch in Vegas is going to be a nightmare.  :-X

I'm pretty sure merch sales go to the league which are then split evenly among teams. I'm more referring to regional TV money/ancillary revenue streams.

And I don't know what you think my larger point is outside of "I don't think the deadliest mass shooting will affect the NHL's salary cap too much" but, well, that's it.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 04:14:17 PM »
It's also not the 70's anymore. The difference between a big revenue generating team and a not-big revenue generating team is not whether or not you can get people out to the arena.

Exactly. I don't think Vegas will have a ton of issue with ticket sales. I can definitely see them struggling with everything a team needs to be profitable - especially if they're relying on out of town visitors. Less local fans means less eyeballs watching the games on TV, which means less advertising revenue/less value in the local broadcast rights. Also, likely lower sales on the more valuable paraphernalia, etc. Visiting fans don't drop $200 on a jersey as often as locals do. They'll be fine on tickets and concessions. They could very easily struggle with everything else.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 04:15:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure merch sales go to the league which are then split evenly among teams. I'm more referring to regional TV money/ancillary revenue streams.

I think in-arena merchandise goes mostly to the team. Online and other merchandise is through the league, yeah.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 04:15:51 PM »