Author Topic: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion  (Read 31525 times)

PCB, Dappleganger, LuncheonMeat and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion
« Reply #720 on: Today at 09:59:31 AM »

Click through to see the thread of Dermott clips and some of the detail work that he does regularly that doesn't make the highlights.

No doubt Dermott has the tools to be a good 2nd pair option IMO.  He deserves most of the praise he's been getting.  But I still see errors being a bit too aggressive and not being on the right side of his man defensively at times.  Might be that he needs to adjust to the quickness NHL forwards can get to the net for the latter. 

Dermott did not have a good possession game last night.  15 shot-attempts against in 11 minutes is way too high.  I'd like to see more of why that occurred through video.  Looking at the shift charts, it looks like Dermott had 2 or 3 short shifts with Rielly and those must have gone horribly as Polak had 11 CA in his 11 5v5 mins (so don't just go blaming Polak for all of it)

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: Today at 10:19:19 AM »
Dermott did not have a good possession game last night.  15 shot-attempts against in 11 minutes is way too high.  I'd like to see more of why that occurred through video.  Looking at the shift charts, it looks like Dermott had 2 or 3 short shifts with Rielly and those must have gone horribly as Polak had 11 CA in his 11 5v5 mins (so don't just go blaming Polak for all of it)

I noticed that too. Per NaturalStatTrick, Dermott played 9:22 of his 11:00 5-on-5 minutes with Polak and the Leafs had 9 shot attempts for and 10 against with the two of them on the ice (47.4% CF).

But in 1:16 of ice-time with Rielly the Leafs' shot share was 0-5. So they must have just been pinned down pretty badly in one shift or something.

Online Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: Today at 11:01:21 AM »

I noticed that too. Per NaturalStatTrick, Dermott played 9:22 of his 11:00 5-on-5 minutes with Polak and the Leafs had 9 shot attempts for and 10 against with the two of them on the ice (47.4% CF).

But in 1:16 of ice-time with Rielly the Leafs' shot share was 0-5. So they must have just been pinned down pretty badly in one shift or something.

Yeah, they definitely got pinned down.  I don't think it was entirely intentional to get Dermott out there with Rielly though.  I noticed when they changed OTF but could only get one guy changed, they would have the RD (Polak or Hainsey) come off for the next pair LD (Rielly or Dermott).  Usually if you can only change one of your D on the fly, its because the puck is coming back your way.  By the time the puck is moving back up the ice Dermott/Rielly is changing and all you've got is some shot attempts against.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: Today at 11:17:51 AM »

Yeah, they definitely got pinned down.  I don't think it was entirely intentional to get Dermott out there with Rielly though.  I noticed when they changed OTF but could only get one guy changed, they would have the RD (Polak or Hainsey) come off for the next pair LD (Rielly or Dermott).  Usually if you can only change one of your D on the fly, its because the puck is coming back your way.  By the time the puck is moving back up the ice Dermott/Rielly is changing and all you've got is some shot attempts against.

That sounds about right. There is one sequence on the shift chart (late in the first or early in the second?) where Yeo got Tarasenko's group out against Dermott-Polak, so Polak jumped off immediately to get Rielly out, and Dermott got trapped.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: Today at 11:39:51 AM »
I haven't listened to this yet, but here we go!

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: Today at 12:22:03 PM »
Managing expectations is the name of the game.

1.  Last year: New toys, fun fun fun, everything went right, just making playoffs okeydokey.

2.  This year: Toys no longer quite as shiny, Babcock turns off fun spigot, Matthews hurt NylanderMarner goal scoring down Marleau low on petrol Kadri WTF and of course POLAK!!!!!!!!!, jeez with a roster this talented we surely are in for a deep run right?  Right??

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: Today at 12:56:17 PM »
Neat graphic that shows how the Leafs have been utilizing their forwards this season:

At the start of the season Komarov was the 6th/7th most used forward, nowadays he's the 3rd/4th. Hyman and Marleau also round out the top-4. Aside from Matthews of course we're just not putting our best players on the ice as much as we should. That's a problem.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: Today at 12:59:30 PM »
A note on JVR too: if the Leafs are even remotely considering re-signing JVR they HAVE to play him more. You cannot under any circumstances give $6mil to somebody you are treating as a 3rd liner.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #727 on: Today at 12:59:30 PM »