Author Topic: Opening Roster  (Read 2351 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Roster
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 08:25:04 PM »
Uh no, we didn't all wish it.

Yeah, I'm perfectly fine with Marincin playing a 6/7 role. Admittedly he wasn't great last season but he wasn't given any rope at all. First mistake he made and Hunwick was right back in the line-up over him.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 08:59:57 PM »
Poor Kasperi.  So unfair.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 09:15:36 PM »

Yeah, I'm perfectly fine with Marincin playing a 6/7 role. Admittedly he wasn't great last season but he wasn't given any rope at all. First mistake he made and Hunwick was right back in the line-up over him.

It'd have been great if the Leafs were so stacked on the blueline that there was no room for Marincin but that was never likely going to be the case without, you know, adding guys.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 01:17:26 AM »

It'd have been great if the Leafs were so stacked on the blueline that there was no room for Marincin but that was never likely going to be the case without, you know, adding guys.

That's the thing for me.  Marincin did a pretty solid job on the PK last year but struggled 5 on 5.  In an ideal world the Leafs added a better top 4 defenseman or two by trading some of their pending UFA forwards (which would also free up roster spots for guys like Soshnikov and Kapanen who are really kind of getting screwed over here from an organization that talked about guys working hard and earning spots but a guy like Matt Martin is going to win out because of "intangibles").  Instead they signed a bunch of younger players who have actually impressed a fair amount but would likely benefit from a little more ice time in the AHL before placing them in a 5-6-7-8 defenseman role.  Hainsey was signed but he really just takes the Roman Polak roster spot.

Marincin for now seems like my choice for the 6/7 spot with the eventual plan to replace him with either a trade deadline move or one of the Rosen/Borgman/Dermott trio playing at a high enough level to supplant him later in the year.

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 11:28:24 AM »

That's the thing for me.  Marincin did a pretty solid job on the PK last year but struggled 5 on 5.  In an ideal world the Leafs added a better top 4 defenseman or two by trading some of their pending UFA forwards (which would also free up roster spots for guys like Soshnikov and Kapanen who are really kind of getting screwed over here from an organization that talked about guys working hard and earning spots but a guy like Matt Martin is going to win out because of "intangibles").  Instead they signed a bunch of younger players who have actually impressed a fair amount but would likely benefit from a little more ice time in the AHL before placing them in a 5-6-7-8 defenseman role.  Hainsey was signed but he really just takes the Roman Polak roster spot.

Marincin for now seems like my choice for the 6/7 spot with the eventual plan to replace him with either a trade deadline move or one of the Rosen/Borgman/Dermott trio playing at a high enough level to supplant him later in the year.
Agreed trade from a position of strength to help the weaker areas. Kapenen is now in the AHL and our D is almost the same as last year. I suppose, as always, quality D aren't available. Nice to have Rosen in the hopper though. Hanifin for Marner?
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 11:49:37 AM »
There a potentially interesting development that could make some potential 3rd pairing upgrades available. Right now, Vegas has 10 defencemen on the roster who are not exempt from waivers, so, at least 3 of them will likely be hitting waivers soon, if they can't find a trade they like. The guys likely to be available aren't super exciting - it's probably Stoner, Sbisa, and G. Reinhart - but they are conceivably better options than Marincin (Reinhart less so than the other two). Stoner and Sbisa come with larger cap hits than would be ideal, so a straight waiver claim probably not the way to go, but, they are also pending UFAs, so, Vegas would probably be open to retaining a substantial portion of the cap if they get an actual asset in return. Something worth considering, I suppose.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 11:52:18 AM »
There a potentially interesting development that could make some potential 3rd pairing upgrades available. Right now, Vegas has 10 defencemen on the roster who are not exempt from waivers, so, at least 3 of them will likely be hitting waivers soon, if they can't find a trade they like. The guys likely to be available aren't super exciting - it's probably Stoner, Sbisa, and G. Reinhart - but they are conceivably better options than Marincin (Reinhart less so than the other two). Stoner and Sbisa come with larger cap hits than would be ideal, so a straight waiver claim probably not the way to go, but, they are also pending UFAs, so, Vegas would probably be open to retaining a substantial portion of the cap if they get an actual asset in return. Something worth considering, I suppose.

Yeah, hard pass on all 3. I really don't think any are upgrades on Marincin.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2017, 11:54:48 AM »

Yeah, hard pass on all 3. I really don't think any are upgrades on Marincin.

I'm with C on this one...I'd love an upgrade on Hainsey that would push him into the third pairing though, as I think we all would.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2017, 11:58:05 AM »
I'm with C on this one...I'd love an upgrade on Hainsey that would push him into the third pairing though, as I think we all would.

Rielly-Demers
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick/Rosen/Borgman

*sigh*

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2017, 12:08:45 PM »

Rielly-Demers
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick/Rosen/Borgman

*sigh*

With vultures circling St. Louis, would anyone consider a couple of years of Jay Bouwmeester at $5.4m?

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2017, 12:12:20 PM »
With vultures circling St. Louis, would anyone consider a couple of years of Jay Bouwmeester at $5.4m?

He of the currently fractured ankle?

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2017, 12:14:58 PM »

I know, but still?

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2017, 12:41:09 PM »

I know, but still?

Probably not, for me. He's a lefty, and we're set for the next 5+ years on LD.

Ville Pokka is on waivers today, btw. (I doubt he makes it past Colorado)

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2017, 12:45:00 PM »

I know, but still?

huh...capfriendly has him as a left shooting RHD.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2017, 12:46:59 PM »

I know, but still?

huh...capfriendly has him as a left shooting RHD.

He's normally with Pietrangelo, right? I've been 'burned' a few times with CapFriendly's position assignment.

St. Louis had Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, and Parayko down the right side last year.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:48:40 PM by herman »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2017, 12:46:59 PM »