Author Topic: Opening Roster  (Read 2345 times)

Offline slapshot

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Opening Roster
« on: September 28, 2017, 07:51:15 AM »
Babcock says it will probably take 10 games into the season to figure out the roster but they'll have to start with something.
I've been pleasantly surprised with the two Swedish defencemen, Rosen and Borgman. To me, they shown so far to be the best 6-7 defencemen, though I don't think it makes sense to have one of them in the press box. Going in the hype was around Dermott, but the Swedes have been impressive in their puck movement and hockey sense. If Rielly, Zaitsev and Carrick take a step forward the way Gardiner has, this d-group might be quite a bit better than people have been going on about. What's your take on an opening night roster?

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Roster
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 08:47:29 AM »
Babcock says it will probably take 10 games into the season to figure out the roster but they'll have to start with something.
I've been pleasantly surprised with the two Swedish defencemen, Rosen and Borgman. To me, they shown so far to be the best 6-7 defencemen, though I don't think it makes sense to have one of them in the press box. Going in the hype was around Dermott, but the Swedes have been impressive in their puck movement and hockey sense. If Rielly, Zaitsev and Carrick take a step forward the way Gardiner has, this d-group might be quite a bit better than people have been going on about. What's your take on an opening night roster?

I've liked both Rosen and Borgman, especially last night for Borgman.  He has a bit of edge to his game, reminds me somewhat of Danny Markov.  If they keep developing like this it'll be difficult to keep them out of that d-corp.  Carrick is the guy that might be the odd man out.

Offline Kaberle15

• Veteran
  • They Did it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:13:58 AM »
So, the Leafs have like 1 regular spot open upfront and 1 on D

A)

4C Moore
6D Borgman

EF1 Leivo
EF2 ? Not Smith
ED1 Marincin

B)
Komarov moves to 4C
2LW Kapanen/Brown
4LW Brown/Kapanen

5D Borgman
6D Rose

EF1 Moore
ED1 Carrick
ED2 Marincin
A.K.A Gardiner51, Changed back to Kaberle15 now that he is retired.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 10:18:53 AM »
So, the Leafs have like 1 regular spot open upfront and 1 on D

A)

4C Moore
6D Borgman

EF1 Leivo
EF2 ? Not Smith
ED1 Marincin

I think it'll be:

4C Aaltonen
6D Rosen

EF1 Leivo
EF2 Moore
ED1 Marincin

I think Babs would prefer 2 extra D but if Aaltonen gets the 4C spot then they aren't waiving Moore or Leivo.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:20:26 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 10:23:09 AM »
Shoula checked twitter before I posted that, Leafs lines today per Shilton:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
JvR-Bozak-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Komarov
Martin-Aaltonen-Brown
Fehr-Moore-Leivo

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Marincin-Carrick
Borgman-Rosen

Fehr goes down, one of Borgman and Rosen go down, and there's your team. I'm surprised to see Marincin there with Carrick given the talk surrounding him. I still kinda feel like Babs would want him there for the PK.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 10:26:23 AM »
I think Marincin may be on a short leash. Might see one or Rosen or Borgman with Carrick without an injury happening.

Waiting for an injury at center: Moore, Fehr.
Waiting for an injury at wing: Kapanen, Soshnikov, Leivo.
Waiting for a massive flu out-break: 2017-2018 Toronto Marlies.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:36:46 AM by disco »
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline Crucialness Key

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
JvR-Bozak-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Komarov
Martin-Aaltonen-Brown
Fehr-Moore-Leivo

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Marincin-Carrick
Borgman-Rosen

Fehr goes down, one of Borgman and Rosen go down, and there's your team. I'm surprised to see Marincin there with Carrick given the talk surrounding him. I still kinda feel like Babs would want him there for the PK.

My hunch would be Rosen stays up, as the oldest, and he spots in for Marincin / Carrick. Meanwhile Borg gets heavy minutes with the Marlies (along with Dermott, hopefully Liljegren...)

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 11:03:11 AM »
Since they're a topic of conversation

Calle RosÚn is pronounced Cal-eh Ro-see-en
Andreas Borgman is pronounced An-dree-as Bory-man (also, borg means castle)

And while we're at it: Forsberg is pronounced Fors-bery (river mountain), Lindberg is Leend-bery (winding mountain), and Andreas Johnsson's is Yuun-son

I'm not Swedish.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:05:15 AM by herman »

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 12:15:54 PM »
I'm surprised to see Marincin there with Carrick given the talk surrounding him. I still kinda feel like Babs would want him there for the PK.

Marincin is probably the best bet for a #7 D right now. He's really the only 'veteran' under contract who fits.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 02:30:02 PM »
So, if it's as Carlton says above, hoping there's a bit more flexibility with the lineup than there was last season. Depth is great. But I wonder if they can find a better use for it than waiting around until someone's hurt.

For home games and weaker teams, a 4th line of Leivo-Aaltonen-Brown could wreck the opposition and allow the top three lines easier nights. Bring in Moore and Martin for tough matchups, away games, etc. This team's supposed to be playing late into the spring, so should probably see if there's a way to keep them from burning out or hitting walls.

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 04:18:20 PM »
Agreed mr g. I don't think any 4th line(r) should be considered a lock. I'd like to see lots of rotation on that line. Really, there's no reason Martin should be getting 82 games this year.

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 04:47:23 PM »

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
JvR-Bozak-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Komarov
Martin-Aaltonen-Brown
Fehr-Moore-Leivo

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Marincin-Carrick
Borgman-Rosen

If Marincin wants to be in opening day line up he better be lights out tonight. FYI, I give zero credit for his "goal" last game. I want a strong enough roster that Marincin's name doesn't have to be on it. Didn't we all wish that going into the off season yet there he is?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:51:27 PM by cabber24 »
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 04:56:52 PM »
I still don't have a lot of confidence in that D. I like Hainsey over Polak and hope one of the Swedes can bump Marincin. I also hope Rielly and Gardiner can be more defensively sound. Honestly disappointed we will likely have 5 returned from last season was hoping for more of an upgrade. Marincin was awful last year... surely we can do better.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 05:58:12 PM »
Good thing a guy like Kapanen can spend another year in the AHL so Matt Martin can put up 7 points-9 points.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 07:57:59 PM »

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
JvR-Bozak-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Komarov
Martin-Aaltonen-Brown
Fehr-Moore-Leivo

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Marincin-Carrick
Borgman-Rosen

If Marincin wants to be in opening day line up he better be lights out tonight. FYI, I give zero credit for his "goal" last game. I want a strong enough roster that Marincin's name doesn't have to be on it. Didn't we all wish that going into the off season yet there he is?

Uh no, we didn't all wish it.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 07:57:59 PM »