Author Topic: Media Thread  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Media Thread
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2017, 11:30:27 AM »
Sort of in general though this is actual a pretty good microcosm of one of the challenges of a startup. The article makes note of the fact that after so much focus on expansion and securing funding it's only now that The Athletic is hiring non revenue-generating staff or people who tend to get overlooked or, worse, outright deemed unnecessary by VC types. But ideally a good media relations staff would work to make sure this sort of thing didn't happen.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2017, 12:06:47 PM »
Hyper aggro quote.

Hyper assholes is more like it.  I can't stand those types.  Another good reason not to subscribe.

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2017, 12:43:30 PM »
Hyper aggro quote.

Hyper assholes is more like it.  I can't stand those types.  Another good reason not to subscribe.
How is that a reason not to subscribe? Its bad PR but I think you're naive if you think newspaper owners don't want to crush their competition. Anyway the content is good and writers deserve to be paid for their content. I'm tired of the sob story of newspapers basically backing a bad revenue model and now we should all feel bad for them that they cut whole departments.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »
Its bad PR but I think you're naive if you think newspaper owners don't want to crush their competition.

I think the issue there is that I don't really think that the New York Times views the Washington Post or the Toronto Star as their competitors. This is where the editorial/publishing overlap becomes a concern. I think generally speaking most people who are in the news business think a profitable industry is better than a monopoly which does sort of seem at odds with your modern Silicon Valley ethos.
-Mark Twain

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2017, 01:47:04 PM »
Hyper aggro quote.

How is that a reason not to subscribe? Its bad PR but I think you're naive if you think newspaper owners don't want to crush their competition. Anyway the content is good and writers deserve to be paid for their content. I'm tired of the sob story of newspapers basically backing a bad revenue model and now we should all feel bad for them that they cut whole departments.

I'm naive? Where do you expect to get your news in say, 20 years?  Or do you think quality reporting will just magically happen for free, just like it does now on the Internet?

Oh wait.  It doesn't.  What we get instead is torrents of horsecrap.

I hope these assholes go bankrupt, and the sooner the better.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2017, 02:00:14 PM »
That's a pretty aggro response.

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2017, 02:01:59 PM »
That's a pretty aggro response.

Some people get very angry when even the suggestion of them opening their wallet comes up, probably a guilty conscience.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2017, 02:02:15 PM »
Hyper aggro quote.

I'm naive? Where do you expect to get your news in say, 20 years?  Or do you think quality reporting will just magically happen for free, just like it does now on the Internet?

Oh wait.  It doesn't.  What we get instead is torrents of horsecrap.

Not trying to stir the pot, just wondering why his quote rankles you so much?  You've used colorful language to describe this situation twice now, so it seems like this runs deeper than just this particular quote.

I really don't care one way the other about this debate.  I don't buy newspapers, and I don't subscribe to The Athletic.  Information is free.  People can put their own opinions together if they want to from that information.  What I find news outlets provide now is just a service to cobble the information together for me and present it in a pretty package.  I don't really need that, but that's just me.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2017, 02:08:17 PM »

So there less outlets for talent sportswriters to make a living? Newspapers were cutting the budget of their sports staff long before these guys came around. The jobs in the more traditional print outlets are gone, and they're not coming back. If the Athletic goes, that just means there are even less jobs.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »
So there less outlets for talent sportswriters to make a living? Newspapers were cutting the budget of their sports staff long before these guys came around. The jobs in the more traditional print outlets are gone, and they're not coming back. If the Athletic goes, that just means there are even less jobs.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2017, 02:17:12 PM »

It's Monday. Brain not work so well.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2017, 02:22:37 PM »

To step away from a second from who is or isn't an a-hole you do wonder about how the way they seem to look at their business model affects content. If they look at the supposed 100,000 Chicago die-hard sports fans as all being potential customers than can they really print stuff that's consistently challenging to any significant segment of that number?

This is sort of the issue Facebook and Twitter are having with content right now albeit in a much more benign form. They got to where they are via constant rapacious growth and, as a result, seem to have no interest or ability to have any sort of opinion on what their platform should be for other than the facilitation of that growth.

That's not necessarily a bad thing in this context, the Hot Take Industrial Complex doesn't need to be everywhere, but information without context or restraint isn't usually a good thing. There's a reason why traditional sports sections had columnists even if we only tend to remember the bad ones.
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2017, 02:25:27 PM »

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2017, 03:57:44 PM »
NYT may not have a quote saying that... but he already addressed it almost exactly as you said would be better PR:

Yeah, on the third pass he seems to have got it. To some extent that's closing the barn doors after the horse got out but that's the internet for you.

For sure.  He gave the NYT a doozy of a quote that he can only try damage control on and it won't be enough anyways because barely anyone is going to check his tweets for more context.
Arrogance is never a good place to start, a little humility goes a long way. If your intent is to kill another media perhaps it is not a great idea to broadcast the fact. It has been said Revenge is a dish best served up cold, in this case a little magnanimity would go a lot further than a foot stomp on a curve.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2017, 06:42:37 PM »

To step away from a second from who is or isn't an a-hole you do wonder about how the way they seem to look at their business model affects content. If they look at the supposed 100,000 Chicago die-hard sports fans as all being potential customers than can they really print stuff that's consistently challenging to any significant segment of that number?

This is sort of the issue Facebook and Twitter are having with content right now albeit in a much more benign form. They got to where they are via constant rapacious growth and, as a result, seem to have no interest or ability to have any sort of opinion on what their platform should be for other than the facilitation of that growth.

That's not necessarily a bad thing in this context, the Hot Take Industrial Complex doesn't need to be everywhere, but information without context or restraint isn't usually a good thing. There's a reason why traditional sports sections had columnists even if we only tend to remember the bad ones.

That's a good point and while the Leafs young team have certainly made it easier to generally have a mostly positive outlook, the Montreal side of The Athletic has seemed to be at least somewhat critical of what is going on there.

We shall see how it plays out.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2017, 06:42:37 PM »