Author Topic: Media Thread  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Media Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2017, 11:46:27 AM »
Do I agree with the programming choice? No, but as a businesses, I certainly understand why they might do it.

Without wanting to overstate the importance of how I feel about giving him this show(which is a profound meh) I think it's fair to say that, much like with what's going on right now at ESPN, there is a wide range of opinions of to what extent places like TSN have journalistic responsibility vs. should be thought of strictly as businesses.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2017, 09:18:08 AM »
An interesting story about the Leafs Euro scout and also an insight into how the Leafs have done the deals with Zaitsev, Borgman, Rosen etc

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/10/17/the-paliafito-file-how-little-known-scout-has-become-big-player-with-maple-leafs
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2017, 10:25:42 AM »
Interesting NYT article about The Athletic and its business model:

Why The Athletic Wants to Pillage Newspapers
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2017, 10:37:03 AM »
Interesting NYT article about The Athletic and its business model:

Why The Athletic Wants to Pillage Newspapers

“We will wait every local paper out and let them continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing,” Alex Mather, a co-founder of The Athletic, said in an interview in San Francisco. “We will suck them dry of their best talent at every moment. We will make business extremely difficult for them.”

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2017, 10:41:43 AM »
Hyper aggro quote.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2017, 10:45:58 AM »

Yeah, that bit seems to be getting a lot of play. The idea that they're really hoping to kill off local sports sections and profit accordingly you'd hope is just typical start-up bluster as opposed to anything they're really depending on.
-Mark Twain

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2017, 10:51:04 AM »

Yeah, that bit seems to be getting a lot of play. The idea that they're really hoping to kill off local sports sections and profit accordingly you'd hope is just typical start-up bluster as opposed to anything they're really depending on.

Definitely Silicon Valley startup bluster, but the quote is really tempered by the assessment of the field that follows that lead in.

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2017, 10:57:50 AM »
Can The Athletic get too big for its own good? 

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2017, 11:02:10 AM »
Come follow-up on that quote, and this is where I knew they were coming from, but the framing of it made it sound like The Athletic is out to kill newspapers in general. It's more like... Noah's Ark for sports sections.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2017, 11:05:48 AM »
Definitely Silicon Valley startup bluster, but the quote is really tempered by the assessment of the field that follows that lead in.

I thought the notion that the company saw the recent spate of high profile layoffs as a unique business opportunity to be an interesting one as there's probably something to the idea that there was a lot of legitimate talent being jettisoned there.

I think, though, that the divide between the founders and the VC quoted on the future of integrating advertising into the site is probably going to be something to keep an eye on.
-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2017, 11:15:17 AM »
Come follow-up on that quote, and this is where I knew they were coming from, but the framing of it made it sound like The Athletic is out to kill newspapers in general. It's more like... Noah's Ark for sports sections.

I'm not sure the follow-ups improve things tremendously. Again, I get the typical tech-bro bluster but I think not saying something to the effect of "I want local sports sections to succeed in addition to our success" will leave a bad taste for media folk. Even if they don't believe it saying that they want their success to inspire others to raise their game rather than, you know, die would probably be better PR at this point.
-Mark Twain

Online Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2017, 11:18:17 AM »

I'm not sure the follow-ups improve things tremendously. Again, I get the typical tech-bro bluster but I think not saying something to the effect of "I want local sports sections to succeed in addition to our success" will leave a bad taste for media folk. Even if they don't believe it saying that they want their success to inspire others to raise their game rather than, you know, die would probably be better PR at this point.

NYT may not have a quote saying that... but he already addressed it almost exactly as you said would be better PR:

Full Thread:

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2017, 11:22:10 AM »
NYT may not have a quote saying that... but he already addressed it almost exactly as you said would be better PR:

Yeah, on the third pass he seems to have got it. To some extent that's closing the barn doors after the horse got out but that's the internet for you.
-Mark Twain

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2017, 11:22:22 AM »
I think I would've positioned it as more of a sports reporting consultant group. Like a hyper focused Associated Press or Reuters for sports. Papers could mirror The Athletic content for their particular city of coverage for a nominal fee.

"Hey local newspaper. Costs are rising and your sports section is the first group to get the axe. We can help augment your readership's experience if you partner with us."

Online Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2017, 11:27:39 AM »

Yeah, on the third pass he seems to have got it. To some extent that's closing the barn doors after the horse got out but that's the internet for you.

For sure.  He gave the NYT a doozy of a quote that he can only try damage control on and it won't be enough anyways because barely anyone is going to check his tweets for more context. 

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2017, 11:27:39 AM »