Author Topic: Patrick Marleau  (Read 1492 times)

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Patrick Marleau
« on: September 19, 2017, 08:36:34 PM »
Patrick Merlot aging like a fine wine ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:40:35 PM by disco »
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline Newfoundlandleaf

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Marleau
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »
I am on the side of seeing Marleau as a good signing, while at the same time realizing it is a lot of money/risk.

He would not have come for 2 years, so 3 was necessary....his money and Horton's money come off the books at the same time in 3 years...Marleau seems to be durable enough and has plenty of pride to work hard to stay relevant....if his 3rd year is a bust....meh...hopefully the first 2 were worth it!

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 01:29:46 PM »
He's here for two years and a day, the third year signing bonus is to pay him more the first two years without it killing the cap, he'll either go on LTIR at that point or be traded to a team that needs to make the cap floor.

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 01:55:02 PM »
He's here for two years and a day, the third year signing bonus is to pay him more the first two years without it killing the cap, he'll either go on LTIR at that point or be traded to a team that needs to make the cap floor.
Exactly, the cap is a sham if you play your cards right. Fictitiously lowering annual hit by adding bogus years.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 08:57:05 PM »
3M connects.
38 from 20.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:05:53 PM by disco »
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 10:13:14 AM »
You couldn't ask for a better debut from the free agent. The speed is still there. The shot, separating from the pack and the calmness around the net were all there on both goals. Just a great move dropping him into this embarrassment of young riches lineup. Could end up being that Hossa/Kessel type of move that Chicago and Pittsburgh made before they won some Cups.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 11:33:23 AM »
Can you imagine if Thornton had agreed to come to Toronto with his buddy Marleau?
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 11:54:15 AM »
Can you imagine if Thornton had agreed to come to Toronto with his buddy Marleau?

Best 4th line center in the history of the NHL.

Not sure he has the wheels to play on this team at 5v5, the PP would be disgusting though.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »

Best 4th line center in the history of the NHL.

Not sure he has the wheels to play on this team at 5v5, the PP would be disgusting though.

Bozak wouldn't be here, without a doubt.  Still, him on the 3rd line- jebus.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 10:35:47 PM »

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 09:51:31 AM »
This Patrick Marleau feature is fantastic.  (I hope they unlock it for those who won't subscribe)

https://theathletic.com/132337/2017/10/20/from-aneroid-to-toronto-who-is-patrick-marleau/

Legend has it Patrick Marleau needs only 40 seconds. Forty seconds to strip off all his gear and race to the cold tub for a quick dip in the icy water. All this, mind you, in between the second and third period.

The frigid water drains away lactic acid, making the legs feel brand new.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 10:35:50 AM »
By the way, they did a study on ice water immersion as an active recovery method.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2938508/

I kind of want to try it, but I
a) Don't got that volume of ice
b) Don't push my body enough to warrant it

Either way: my theory is that the Sports Science department is going to have a good time studying Marleau, Moore, and Hainsey's respective longevity techniques and physiology profiles.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:38:19 AM by herman »

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 10:06:06 AM »
What are the thoughts on Marleau so far?

Basic stats 4 goals, 3 assists, +4

I have to say I haven't really noticed him stand out as yet but I'm not sure if my expectations were overly high.

I don't think by any means that he's disappointed, but I thought I'd have noticed him more often.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 10:16:41 AM »

Not noticing him too much while he scores at a decent clip is more or less what I expected.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 10:22:31 AM »
On pace for 57 points, 52.4 CF%, 72.7 GF%. While often matching up against top opposition. Not really sure you could have asked for a better start to be honest.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 10:22:31 AM »