Author Topic: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion  (Read 2379 times)

Coco-puffs and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion
« Reply #75 on: Yesterday at 11:45:46 PM »
I am not sure why Babcock does not play McBackup more often, he is a capable goalie, who in his 18 starts had a better save percentage then Andersen. Give him another 7 starts then Andersen will not have any issue with been tired in late Mar/Apr.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Today at 12:34:55 AM »
I am not sure why Babcock does not play McBackup more often, he is a capable goalie, who in his 18 starts had a better save percentage then Andersen. Give him another 7 starts then Andersen will not have any issue with been tired in late Mar/Apr.
McBackup might not even be with the Leafs. I don't see Sparks and/or Pickard clearing waivers so unless Dubas trades one of our goalies I think they may expose McBackup instead of trying to slide Sparks through. Like always tho, we'll see.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Today at 09:55:41 AM »
McBackup might not even be with the Leafs. I don't see Sparks and/or Pickard clearing waivers so unless Dubas trades one of our goalies I think they may expose McBackup instead of trying to slide Sparks through. Like always tho, we'll see.

If all 3 can't be slid through waivers how do they keep 2?   Let's say Sparks stays up as the backup, they put both McBackup and Pickard on waivers to send down to the Marlies?

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Today at 10:01:54 AM »

This is certainly what I hope they do -- keep Sparks. McBackup and Pickard to the Marlies.  McBackup was great last year, but my guess is that it was a bit of fluke.  Goalies are unpredictable but he certainly should be on the downside of his career -- a career that outside last year was generally below average.  The league is awash with backup goaltenders.  It is unlikely both are snapped up.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Today at 10:14:37 AM »
If all 3 can't be slid through waivers how do they keep 2?   Let's say Sparks stays up as the backup, they put both McBackup and Pickard on waivers to send down to the Marlies?

I expect this to be the plan. Pickard likely clears, his body of work in the AHL last season wasn't large/impressive enough for someone to think he's a massive upgrade over their current back-up. I'd say it's probably 70/30 that McBackup clears waivers too. You look at the goalie depth charts from around the league and it's very difficult to find too many teams who would take McBackup over their current backup. There's 5 or 6 that I'd say are maybes but all of them have younger guys who could definitely be ready to fill that role. If they implode during training camp though it could open up a spot.

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Today at 10:26:21 AM »
If they cut 10 games from Andersen, and his decline began in March last year. Won't his decline just start in the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs? I mean he has to be able to play 75ish games to win a cup doesn't he?

Its a matter of not having enough off days to recover.  Playing 70 games in a 7 month stretch is harder than playing 70 games in a 8 month stretch.

Sure, but if he's getting to the brink and then has to play every other night for 8 weeks with random gaps between series. That's a lot. If he wore out after 60+ games and 20 playoff games it would be one thing. But to wear out with a month left in the season, if wear is the issue, I'm a little concerned.

I think you're missing the point.  If they can start the backup in 10 or so more games, Andersen theoretically wouldn't be at "the brink", and would be able to handle the playoffs more easily because he wouldn't be worn down.  It's not a total games started issue, it's a total games started in a more compressed time issue.

Offline Bill_Berg

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Today at 11:14:14 AM »
If they cut 10 games from Andersen, and his decline began in March last year. Won't his decline just start in the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs? I mean he has to be able to play 75ish games to win a cup doesn't he?

Its a matter of not having enough off days to recover.  Playing 70 games in a 7 month stretch is harder than playing 70 games in a 8 month stretch.

Sure, but if he's getting to the brink and then has to play every other night for 8 weeks with random gaps between series. That's a lot. If he wore out after 60+ games and 20 playoff games it would be one thing. But to wear out with a month left in the season, if wear is the issue, I'm a little concerned.

I think you're missing the point.  If they can start the backup in 10 or so more games, Andersen theoretically wouldn't be at "the brink", and would be able to handle the playoffs more easily because he wouldn't be worn down.  It's not a total games started issue, it's a total games started in a more compressed time issue.

Isn't the playoffs more games in a shorter period of time than the regular season?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #81 on: Today at 11:14:14 AM »