Author Topic: Preseason: sens @ Leafs - Sept. 19th, 7:30pm - TSN, TSN 1050  (Read 1898 times)

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Preseason: sens @ Leafs - Sept. 19th, 7:30pm - TSN, TSN 1050
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2017, 09:57:23 PM »
That guy will remember a preseason goal for a long time?

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2017, 10:09:47 PM »
This was infinitely worse than last night, a pathetic performance against an ECHL/AHL roster.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 10:58:40 PM »
Leafs fallin' for Dhalin
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2017, 11:14:30 PM »
This was infinitely worse than last night, a pathetic performance against an ECHL/AHL roster.

Strange. I actually thought they played pretty well tonight. Just couldn't put the puck in the net.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2017, 11:41:52 PM »

Strange. I actually thought they played pretty well tonight. Just couldn't put the puck in the net.

Don't try to sugarcoat this -- The Darkest Day In Leafs History so far this month.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2017, 03:07:16 AM »
Babcock once again unimpressed with Leafs' performance...

Leafs coach Mike Babcock is hoping things change before the start of the regular season.

I thought tonight was way worse than the first night we played, but obviously they want it this way, said Babcock. I think its still supposed to be a competitive situation. I dont know if it is anymore.

On the plus side, Marleau showed he  fit right in and his debut in a Leafs jersey was one of the few positives on the night:

"Definitely nice to get one and get some confidence and build off of that," said Marleau, who was making his Leafs debut. "It was good to get out there and get used to the surroundings and line mates and systems and all that. Something to build off of."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators-toronto-maple-leafs-1.4297844
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 03:10:37 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2017, 06:15:07 AM »
Have they played any 5v5 tonight?

This is the joy of "More Offense" NHL.  I'm always fine with the idea of the league calling more blatant interference calls for penalties.  I'm concerned what we are really going to see is just more of the same.  Faceoff infractions will be penalized to death.  Players who put their stick parallel to another skater will get penalized and things like hits from behind will be 50/50 on whether the ref calls it.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2017, 08:18:42 AM »
I was all for being much stricter on slashing penalties, but this was a pretty bad call:

Based on that angle, it actually looks like Marincin's swing was going higher and then he made an effort to bring it down to an acceptable point. That's just a good defensive play.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:21:54 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2017, 09:03:50 AM »

This is the joy of "More Offense" NHL.  I'm always fine with the idea of the league calling more blatant interference calls for penalties.  I'm concerned what we are really going to see is just more of the same.  Faceoff infractions will be penalized to death.  Players who put their stick parallel to another skater will get penalized and things like hits from behind will be 50/50 on whether the ref calls it.

These all have the same value in the eyes of the league:
Punching someone in the face
Smacking someone in the face with a stick
Hitting someone from behind into the boards (sometimes)
Spearing your stick into someone's gibblets
Tapping someone's stick with your stick
Having a skate over the hash marks on a faceoff

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2017, 09:31:06 AM »

These all have the same value in the eyes of the league:
Punching someone in the face
Smacking someone in the face with a stick
Hitting someone from behind into the boards (sometimes)
Spearing your stick into someone's gibblets
Tapping someone's stick with your stick
Having a skate over the hash marks on a faceoff

Tapping someone stick with your stick isn't supposed to be a penalty.  Don't let one bad call sully the good thing the league is trying to do to get slashing, of the hands specifically, out of the game.  The call on Komarov was exactly what they should be enforcing.  Marincin's penalty was a bad call, even under the new level of enforcement.  Refs don't always get it right, even on "smacking someone in the face with a stick" calls.

Also, having your skate over the line on a faceoff is not a penalty in itself- its a faceoff violation.  Having two faceoff violations on the same draw is a penalty.  League wants to enforce the faceoff rules (which they've been lax on for years) and it will take time for players to adjust.

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2017, 09:58:15 AM »
Tapping someone stick with your stick isn't supposed to be a penalty.  Don't let one bad call sully the good thing the league is trying to do to get slashing, of the hands specifically, out of the game.  The call on Komarov was exactly what they should be enforcing.  Marincin's penalty was a bad call, even under the new level of enforcement.  Refs don't always get it right, even on "smacking someone in the face with a stick" calls.

Also, having your skate over the line on a faceoff is not a penalty in itself- its a faceoff violation.  Having two faceoff violations on the same draw is a penalty.  League wants to enforce the faceoff rules (which they've been lax on for years) and it will take time for players to adjust.

Oh, I fully understand the reasoning behind the latest crackdowns, and I would love to see the slashing of hands/faces out of the game. Just wanted to point out the stupidity of focusing on the mundane infraction of multiple face-off violations weighing the same as injuring another player. It just adds more frustration into the flow of the game, for both players and linesmen, and when frustrations mount, they turn into ridiculous/dangerous situations.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2017, 10:17:17 AM »

Oh, I fully understand the reasoning behind the latest crackdowns, and I would love to see the slashing of hands/faces out of the game. Just wanted to point out the stupidity of focusing on the mundane infraction of multiple face-off violations weighing the same as injuring another player. It just adds more frustration into the flow of the game, for both players and linesmen, and when frustrations mount, they turn into ridiculous/dangerous situations.

Well, shooting the puck over the glass also has the same weight as those other penalties.  So does accidentally tripping someone.  Its still a penalty.  Also, injuring someone through an illegal act also has the option of being called a major penalty.  Maybe we should be complaining that the refs don't call enough majors for those infractions instead?

Players will have to adjust to the new level of enforcement- sure there will be frustration and whatnot, but cmon- you aren't going to change player behaviour without some adjustment period.  If anything, call it even stricter in the pre-season to try and get that behaviour to change even faster.

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2017, 10:25:36 AM »
I just in general hate the way the NHL is run. Year to year sweeping rule changes, obnoxious negotiating approaches, the constant airing of grievances, lockout after lockout, the Olympics, the Calgary stadium, expansion vs relocation, etc... it is all getting very exhausting. Can't business be conducted in a more articulate way?
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2017, 10:41:53 AM »
I missed the 3rd period...was it as bad as it looks?

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »
I missed the 3rd period...was it as bad as it looks?

I only saw the last half of it (2.5 year old that doesn't want to go to bed), but no it wasn't.  2 empty net goals after a weird one scored by the Sens coming out of the box.  Leafs outshot Sens 15-6 in the period (although some of that was score effects after going down 3-2).

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »