Author Topic: Drew Doughty  (Read 946 times)

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Drew Doughty
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 08:42:13 AM »
While it would suit the Leafs well to have a defenceman such as Doughty, the idea of trading Marner for him is null & void in my book.

Online Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »
So as much as the Leafs need a d-man, the projections on Marner, Nylander, and Matthews, are three players who can take over a game and can be the difference between winning and losing by themselves.  It appears as all three players are going to be real difference makers when it comes to winning and losing a hockey game.  That's something that very few other teams have and is a tough match-up to counter. 

I think the more prudent course of action would be to wait the next two years, while Marner, Nylander and Matthews hopefully raise their value, and take stock of where the team is then.  It may be that they have that d-man in house, and they develop over those next two years.  That would put them ahead of where they are at if they would trade one of Marner or Nylander for a d-man today.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 10:14:43 AM »
So as much as the Leafs need a d-man, the projections on Marner, Nylander, and Matthews, are three players who can take over a game and can be the difference between winning and losing by themselves.  It appears as all three players are going to be real difference makers when it comes to winning and losing a hockey game.  That's something that very few other teams have and is a tough match-up to counter. 

I think the more prudent course of action would be to wait the next two years, while Marner, Nylander and Matthews hopefully raise their value, and take stock of where the team is then.  It may be that they have that d-man in house, and they develop over those next two years.  That would put them ahead of where they are at if they would trade one of Marner or Nylander for a d-man today.

Sounds quite prudent really.  Afterall, why trade a part of the young core?  As you say, the wait and see approach is best, unless of course, Lou & co. have it already worked out.

Online disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 11:59:36 AM »
I see the Leafs continuing to develop and rise, and then when the time comes for them to make a move that improves the overall team at the expense of an individual player, they'll make it. Probably regarding defense.
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 11:59:36 AM »