Author Topic: 2017-2018 NHL Thread  (Read 46385 times)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-2018 NHL Thread
« Reply #735 on: February 02, 2018, 10:25:20 AM »
I guess I just don't understand why that play is simply limited to goaltender interference. It seems to me that a hardcore slash to the neck/face would undoubtedly be a penalty and thus no goal anyway. How does that slash go uncalled?

On a related note, I've always wondered why a goaltender interference penalty simply negates a goal. Shouldn't it also be a two-minute minor? Or is that a specific stipulation in the rule book?

High sticks don't get called on shot follow throughs, so maybe this is what it would count as, as crazy as that sounds.

There are two types of goalie interference that occur: incidentally impeding the goaltender's ability to make the save (a la Matthews' called back goal, haha), and deliberate interference as would normally be called against skaters-on-skater (e.g. crashing the net without the puck). It's up to the referee's discretion what qualifies as interference worthy of penalization.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 02, 2018, 10:42:12 AM »
There are two types of goalie interference that occur: incidentally impeding the goaltender's ability to make the save (a la Matthews' called back goal, haha), and deliberate interference as would normally be called against skaters-on-skater (e.g. crashing the net without the puck). It's up to the referee's discretion what qualifies as interference worthy of penalization.

Ah I see, thanks for the clarification.

It's a pretty slippery slope these refs are scaling though. All of these calls (and non-calls) are getting silly to the point that it's getting harder and harder to watch the sport.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 02, 2018, 10:52:22 AM »
It's a pretty slippery slope these refs are scaling though. All of these calls (and non-calls) are getting silly to the point that it's getting harder and harder to watch the sport.

The refs have a rule book, and they have their individual interpretations. As a group they will try to be as consistent as possible, but it's one of the fastest games being played. Even with video replay, are they allowed to use it for penalty calls, or just for offsides (war room), goal calls (war room), goalie interference affecting goals (refs)?

I think it is what it is at the moment, and when they sit down to try to make it better, inevitably something else will be less than ideal, and so on. I believe the refs are doing the best that they can.

In Neal's case, he was going for the puck, and got his stick lifted mid-swing, which hit the goalie (happens every game, all the time, usually in the pads). Maybe they need to adjust the interpretation to account for head contact. Maybe some goalies (Quick) will throw his head into the fray to get a goal waved off. *shrugs*

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 02, 2018, 10:55:24 AM »
I guess I just don't understand why that play is simply limited to goaltender interference. It seems to me that a hardcore slash to the neck/face would undoubtedly be a penalty and thus no goal anyway. How does that slash go uncalled?

Because, technically, it was a shot attempt, not a slash - as he does make contact with the puck. It likely would have not been a penalty regardless of who was on the receiving end because it's a shot and not a slash.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 05, 2018, 11:28:24 AM »

Silly season... might be on hold thanks to Tavares though.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 05, 2018, 03:02:10 PM »
More teams have adopted a higher pace of play this season compared to last, i.e. a general uptick in shot attempts.
-- snip --

Follow-up with something easier to parse:

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 06, 2018, 04:48:13 AM »
Some interesting defensive point-leading facts:

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 06, 2018, 10:19:05 AM »
Since December Bruins are 19-3-4, that's sustainable, only a 132 point pace.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 06, 2018, 10:42:43 AM »

They have games in hand on us too. Which means we have the lighter schedule rounding the home stretch of the regular season compared to Tampa and Boston. I think Boston will make it nice and close for top spot in the Atlantic as the Lightning falter, and hopefully they beat each other up for it.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 06, 2018, 11:04:22 AM »

They have games in hand on us too. Which means we have the lighter schedule rounding the home stretch of the regular season compared to Tampa and Boston. I think Boston will make it nice and close for top spot in the Atlantic as the Lightning falter, and hopefully they beat each other up for it.

I do wonder if the Leafs match up better against the Lightning than the Bruins.  Either way, they may have the toughest path to the Conference finals as any team in the league :(

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 06, 2018, 11:17:32 AM »

I imagine Boston has to hit the skids at some point.  There's no way they can keep playing at the pace they've been at for the remaining 30 games or so.  I don't remember anyone picking Boston to be a 100 point team before the season began.  They've exceeded expectations based on what everyone thought their roster had on it.  Some of those guys have to have slumps at some point.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 06, 2018, 11:28:14 AM »

I imagine Boston has to hit the skids at some point.  There's no way they can keep playing at the pace they've been at for the remaining 30 games or so.  I don't remember anyone picking Boston to be a 100 point team before the season began.  They've exceeded expectations based on what everyone thought their roster had on it.  Some of those guys have to have slumps at some point.

Credit to their coaching staff. We've seen it before in other successful organizations (Tampa, Pittsburgh) when the AHL coach comes up with a small cohort of AHLers to join and augment an established core, while old coach favourites are finally released. Everyone has bought in, and some stretches you get everyone playing to their potential.

I'd prefer to have it happen to us in March, rather than November/January.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 06, 2018, 11:31:43 AM »
Yeah whatever, let Tampa and Boston both peak early.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 06, 2018, 12:28:47 PM »
Yeah whatever, let Tampa and Boston both peak early.

This is what I'm thinking.  All teams go through hot and cold streaks.  Better to be hot in mid-April then Jan-Feb.  I'm not worried about matching up with the Bruins in round 1 despite last Saturday's game.  I think Leafs can win that series in 6.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 06, 2018, 03:15:31 PM »

Presented without comment:

Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #749 on: February 06, 2018, 03:15:31 PM »