Author Topic: 2017-2018 NHL Thread  (Read 56224 times)

Online Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-2018 NHL Thread
« Reply #390 on: November 17, 2017, 09:52:58 AM »
How many games for Gudas? At least five?

This is his third suspension in three years.  Last one got him 6 games.  Considering his history, 5 games will be surprisingly light.  I hate to say I agree with Button, but he's suggesting 10 games and I think this guy needs to sit for a long time.  Not that it will really change his game  >:(

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 17, 2017, 10:32:15 AM »
Yeah, this'll be the DOPS's first big test this season. Reminds of of Keith's suspension last year where he did something similar although it was the other way around (Keith was on the ground and slashed a guy in the face who was standing). He got 6 games, and one of those was a playoff game. Generally speaking most people feel 1 playoff game suspension = 2 regular season games so think of it as a 7-game suspension. This would have to be minimum 6 games I'd think. You can't use your stick as a weapon. That's a huge no-no.
Frank was right

#ButMartyIsANHLer

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 17, 2017, 10:35:38 AM »
This was the Keith/Coyle incident:

Interestingly enough, Paros said that those types of incidents are exactly what he'd be looking to be tougher on:

And here's the Nyquist play that he brought up as well:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:37:46 AM by CarltonTheBear »
Frank was right

#ButMartyIsANHLer

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 17, 2017, 11:03:38 AM »
I get that they don't suspend the reckless stuff as much, given that there is often no specific intent to injure.  It's often just a guy doing something dangerously stupid/careless that could have, or may have, resulted in an injury.

But on the Gudas play on Perreault, it's obvious he's slashing him in the head in retaliation...it's specifically done with an intent to forcefully hit him in the head with his stick.

This is the kind of stuff that would force my hand, if I were Parros, to throw the book at the guy...especially given his history.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 17, 2017, 11:08:40 AM »
The only defense Gudas has compared to Keith and Nyqvist is his swinging motion can be argued to be untargeted. Both Keith and Nyqvist were clearly swinging their sticks (upwards) in anger in the direction of the recipient player's head.

Gudas' in real time, looks like someone off balance trying to re-centre himself. I think it's pretty clear he intentionally whacked Perrault, but I don't think he intended to hit him in the neck or head. His eyes are on the play ahead and he wanted to get his stick down. My theory is that he decided to just bring it down hard to the ice, in case Perrault was still tangled up there, like on a leg, and not, as the slow motion replay suggests, that Perrault abandoned his post with the Night's Watch. If he really wanted to cut his head off, there'd have been more follow through and aiming.

Should still throw the book at him though. Intent doesn't matter as much if the behaviour is still reckless and dangerous.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:11:33 AM by herman »

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 17, 2017, 11:36:55 AM »
He's been offered an in-person hearing, so the option for 5+ is available. I'm going to guess 6, but, really, given his history and such, it's should be 10+.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 17, 2017, 11:42:43 AM »
Wow that Nyqvist one is brutal he turns his stick to gouge.

10+ for Goudas... ridiculous reaction and repeat offender.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 17, 2017, 12:17:41 PM »
Didn't Belak get something like 8 games for something more accidental than this?  Should be at least 10 in my books.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 17, 2017, 02:19:09 PM »
Goudas is a decent player. He doesn't need to play meatball hockey.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 17, 2017, 02:45:21 PM »
Goudas is a decent player. He doesn't need to play meatball hockey.

Some pretty decent cheese, as well. :P
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 17, 2017, 04:35:27 PM »
Didn't Belak get something like 8 games for something more accidental than this?  Should be at least 10 in my books.

Six regular season games PLUS two playoff games.  So it was probably more like a 10-game suspension if we are going by the playoff games count for double rule.

This is the best video I could find of the slash.  Belak was reckless with his stick but it was pretty clearly a guy who was off balance and trying to get Vaananen off his back. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=porVFYsgScY

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 18, 2017, 02:24:56 PM »
I tend to like it when athletes speak their minds on issues. At best, it can bring attention to important subjects. At worst, at least you know more about these guys and where they stand on things.

So I'm not saying "stick to sprots" to Ovechkin or Malkin but they should probably understand that being vocally pro-Putin right now is, you know, probably going to have some blowback.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:27:26 PM by Nik the Trik »
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 18, 2017, 02:27:14 PM »
Is it worth considering that Ovechkin and Malkin both have large extended families in Russia?

I'm sure the North American media's scorn is significantly easier to handle than whatever their families would face if they didn't play ball.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 18, 2017, 02:30:16 PM »
Is it worth considering that Ovechkin and Malkin both have large extended families in Russia?

I'm sure the North American media's scorn is significantly easier to handle than whatever their families would face if they didn't play ball.

That's assuming it's coerced in the first place as opposed to honest. To be honest I'm not entirely sure why the FSB would think endorsements from those guys would do much for them.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 18, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »

That's assuming it's coerced in the first place as opposed to honest. To be honest I'm not entirely sure why the FSB would think endorsements from those guys would do much for them.

There is an "election" on the horizon...

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #404 on: November 18, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »