Author Topic: 2017-2018 NHL Thread  (Read 14178 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-2018 NHL Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »
I don't think it's a perfect system, but I would think there is a middle ground that may work.

I've never really understood, aside from an unwillingness to rock the boat and a desire to make running a team idiot-proof, why you'd still have a draft as well as having a hard salary cap.

Well, that and a PA that screws over younger players.

Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2017, 08:06:54 PM »
I just genuinely don't see any point in raising the draft age other than scouts want their jobs to be easier.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2017, 08:09:17 PM »
That being said, I think it would probably be a worthwhile endeavour.

Probably not for the player that does it though. As we've seen with Colin Kaepernick anyone who isn't a star who bucks an established system can be frozen out. Basically it would take a superstar level prospect who was willing to sit out a year or two to fight the system and, at least in the case of Eric Lindros, those prospects can hold out and get what they want eventually.

So basically you're talking about an 18 year old willing to forgo millions of dollars and defy an established authority to establish a more fair labour state. That would be a remarkable teenager.
-Mark Twain

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2017, 10:21:53 PM »
So basically you're talking about an 18 year old willing to forgo millions of dollars and defy an established authority to establish a more fair labour state. That would be a remarkable teenager.

I don't think it's likely to happen, nor do I think a single prospect would be enough to really move the needle enough - especially, since, as you said, the high-end guys get what they want eventually, while the mid-tier and lower end guys will just get largely ignored/passed over/frozen out/etc. It would really mean a group effort from a significant number of the top prospects in a draft class or a kid from a wealthy background who is unlikely to make it but willing to be the sacrificial lamb by being the guy to mount a legal challenge (assuming they'd even have a chance/case) for there to be any real movement.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2017, 03:51:13 AM »
Team-by-team previews/breakdowns:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/blogs/nhl-31-in-31/

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2017, 09:07:29 AM »
Cody Franson's will be at Chicago's camp as a PTO. With that, a Blackhawks blog posted their expected line-up for next season... and it was interesting:

Saad-Toews-Panik
Sharp-Anisimov-Kane
Jurco-Schmaltz-Hartman
Bouma-Kero-Wingels

Keith-Murphy
Kempny-Seabrook
Forsling-Franson

Crawford

That doesn't look very good. Especially when you remember that Patrick Sharp turns 36 in December and scored at a 30-point pace. Is this the year that Chicago misses the playoffs? Kane, Toews, Keith, and Crawford will likely have to grab them there kicking and screaming.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:09:42 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2017, 09:34:55 AM »
Cody Franson's will be at Chicago's camp as a PTO. With that, a Blackhawks blog posted their expected line-up for next season... and it was interesting saad and might be time to panik:

FTFY

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2017, 09:37:49 AM »
I just genuinely don't see any point in raising the draft age other than scouts want their jobs to be easier.

I like the idea. I think the draft should be for players expected to go into professional hockey right away, rather than another two years in junior.

I don't know why I think that, though. lol

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »
www.twitter.com/alex_prewitt/status/905778829968408578

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2017, 10:56:27 AM »
The Jets extended Cheveldayoff and Maurice with multi-year contracts.

On the one hand, the pressure is on the players to reach their roster's potential. On the other hand, their players' hands are tied because Maurice is still their coach, so how different will things be?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2017, 11:49:10 AM »

Sidney Crosby really needs to get out more.
-Mark Twain

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2017, 11:49:55 AM »

On the one hand, the pressure is on the players to reach their roster's potential. On the other hand, their players' hands are tied because Maurice is still their coach, so how different will things be?

Is it even that great a roster though? The Cheveldayoff extension seems more puzzling to me. It's a team stuck in neutral.
-Mark Twain

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2017, 12:39:42 PM »
Is it even that great a roster though? The Cheveldayoff extension seems more puzzling to me. It's a team stuck in neutral.

I don't think it's a perennial-great build, per se, but it certainly has some high end components to build out from: Scheifele, Ehlers, Laine, Trouba, probably-peak(ing) Wheeler, Byfuglien (whoa I spelled that right the first time no looking).

The team does not strike me as tactically sound, has discipline issues and weak special teams. What success they have had is riding on their top-line. Similar to Boston with more firepower, but without the average+ goaltending and possession strategy, perhaps? (Edit: that sounds a bit like 2013-14 Leafs! Okay, they're a mess.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 12:45:34 PM by herman »

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2017, 12:41:19 PM »

Top 6 and Defense are pretty damn good.  Depth right now doesn't look as good as it was at some times in the past.
 Goal tending has been their Achilles heel for a long time and he did very little to address the latter until this off-season.

I still think your coach only looks as good as your goaltending (unless you are looking at the analytics).  My main beef with Maurice in Winnipeg really comes down to discipline.  You aren't going to win games being in the penalty box more than just about anyone else in the league and the coach sets some of the tone on that.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2017, 02:14:16 PM »
I don't think it's a perennial-great build, per se, but it certainly has some high end components to build out from: Scheifele, Ehlers, Laine, Trouba, probably-peak(ing) Wheeler, Byfuglien (whoa I spelled that right the first time no looking).

I suppose. But Wheeler, Byfuglien and Little were all there when Cheveldayoff got there and there's a limited amount of credit I think you can give him for Laine.
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2017, 02:14:16 PM »