Author Topic: Minor Ex-Leaf News  (Read 8590 times)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Minor Ex-Leaf News
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2018, 12:42:50 PM »
I doubt he makes it all the way to our slot anyway, even if we did have the space.

Ah, I had no idea we were at 50 contracts. That's a bummer.

Grundstrom's status was re-assessed back in December and ruled not exempt as he was loaned to a professional mens team in Sweden, not a junior team.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2018, 01:11:12 PM »
Grundstrom's status was re-assessed back in December and ruled not exempt as he was loaned to a professional mens team in Sweden, not a junior team.

Not sure where you heard this but I don't think that's right. Grundstrom's 20 years old, so his contract isn't a slide candidate. It'll count against the books regardless of where he plays. So he would have counted against the 50 contract list from the get-go.

Also if Grundstrom's contract was a slide risk then he would have been exempt from the list as long as he was loaned out to Europe. Doesn't matter if it's on a professional or junior team. Nylander was exempt from the list when he played in Modo for half the season in his first year.
Frank was right

#ButMartyIsANHLer

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2018, 01:25:12 PM »

Not sure where you heard this but I don't think that's right. Grundstrom's 20 years old, so his contract isn't a slide candidate. It'll count against the books regardless of where he plays. So he would have counted against the 50 contract list from the get-go.

Also if Grundstrom's contract was a slide risk then he would have been exempt from the list as long as he was loaned out to Europe. Doesn't matter if it's on a professional or junior team. Nylander was exempt from the list when he played in Modo for half the season in his first year.

You are correct. My wording implied that the league re-assessed, when in actuality it was CapFriendly re-assessing their classification of Grundstrom.

Anyway, I was going based on this: https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/12/12/16767474/toronto-maple-leafs-at-50-spc-limit-per-report parroting the reported reason there, but didn't look up the real reason until after I posted that.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »
Franson cleared. So... we could technically trade for him.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2018, 01:53:49 PM »
I would rather have Cody than Polak
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2018, 02:09:21 PM »
I would rather have Cody than Polak

I think most of us would even though it'd be a bit of a lateral move.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2018, 02:08:41 PM »
Invalid Tweet ID
Colour me surprised to learn that Carlyle was willing to let go of his 2D.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2018, 07:36:53 PM »

I feel betrayed

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2018, 11:09:58 AM »

I feel betrayed
Who?.....by Sparks?   ;)
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2018, 04:40:05 PM »
Leipsic made his Canuck debut on their top line with Horvat and Boeser last night. He played 17:49 and recorded 2 assists. This could be a really great opportunity for him.
Frank was right

#ButMartyIsANHLer

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2018, 01:32:13 AM »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2018, 08:53:22 AM »

I never understood why they decided to protect Leivo instead of Leipsic.
Frank was right

#ButMartyIsANHLer

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2018, 09:35:39 AM »

I never understood why they decided to protect Leivo instead of Leipsic.

Or Martin. Some of that has to be good attitude about a raw deal (Leivo) and good vet UFA vibes (Martin). I donít think Leipsic, like Rychel, was getting an opening here barring catestrophic injuries down the left anyway.

Leipsic ended the night with 2 goals and a beauty assist but also probably three too many penalties and turnovers in about 16 min of ice time.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2018, 09:47:17 AM »
Or Martin. Some of that has to be good attitude about a raw deal (Leivo) and good vet UFA vibes (Martin). I donít think Leipsic, like Rychel, was getting an opening here barring catestrophic injuries down the left anyway.

Well yeah, obviously, but I understand that one in the sense that Babcock just plainly wanted to keep him around. The choice was always going to go down to Leipsic or Leivo, and I just don't get how they settled on Leivo. Leipsic's the better skater and I think his game translates better at the NHL level even if it's just in a 4th line role.
Frank was right

#ButMartyIsANHLer

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2018, 10:05:47 AM »

Well yeah, obviously, but I understand that one in the sense that Babcock just plainly wanted to keep him around. The choice was always going to go down to Leipsic or Leivo, and I just don't get how they settled on Leivo. Leipsic's the better skater and I think his game translates better at the NHL level even if it's just in a 4th line role.

Size discrimination? Tie goes to the veteran/picked prospect more often than not. Not saying it makes any sense, but those were the hills Leipsic had in front of him. Judging by Dubasí twitter likes, itís not hard to see where he fell on that decision.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2018, 10:05:47 AM »