Author Topic: Undisclosed team makes offer for Franson  (Read 6604 times)

Offline A Weekend at Bernier's

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Undisclosed team makes offer for Franson
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 10:47:04 AM »
Quote from: Champ Kind link=topic=462.msg25820#msg25820 [b
[/b]date=1321477578]
"I'm getting deluged with offers for him."

Burke is surprised that the Leafs haven't had a D injury this year yet, which is the reasoning he wants to keep Franson for now.

No way.  This is a case of Burke trying to maximize value, not keep an insurance policy.

So Burke's plan to maximize Franson's value is to keep him in the press-box as a struggling team's 7th defenseman?

Savvy.

Oh, and by the way, this (bolded above) is hyperbolic and not becoming of you, Nik.

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 10:58:30 AM »
Quick Robin, to the Hyperbarbaric chamber... must... decompress...
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 11:14:13 AM »
No way.  This is a case of Burke trying to maximize value, not keep an insurance policy.

Do you honestly believe that, at any point in the near future, Franson will be worth more than a 2nd round pick?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 12:33:45 PM »

Do you honestly believe that, at any point in the near future, Franson will be worth more than a 2nd round pick?

No, Busta, I don't.  And I'm not saying that.  All I've stated is that Burke claiming he's holding onto Franson as insurance is his way of saying to other GMs "He's available but I'm not giving him away". 

And if the rumour of a 2'nd round pick and a player are true, I'm not sure what the hold up is, short the player being offered being either Redden or Gomez.

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2011, 12:34:41 PM »

That was funny. 

If it's any saving grace for me, I did have to google "Hyperbolic" to make sure I was using it right.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »
And if the rumour of a 2'nd round pick and a player are true, I'm not sure what the hold up is, short the player being offered being either Redden or Gomez.

It could, you know, be that Burke is being entirely honest when he says he doesn't want to trade him because he's concerned about injuries to the blueline. I mean, that would be the most simple, straight forward and logical answer, would it not? Assuming what Dreger reported is true, of course - and, with Burke saying there's been a "deluge" of offers for him, there's no reason to believe it's not.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2011, 01:17:57 PM »

That was funny. 

If it's any saving grace for me, I did have to google "Hyperbolic" to make sure I was using it right.

Yeah, I almost went with Hyperbollock chamber but thought it might be misinterpreted... ;)
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2011, 02:29:54 PM »

It could, you know, be that Burke is being entirely honest when he says he doesn't want to trade him because he's concerned about injuries to the blueline. I mean, that would be the most simple, straight forward and logical answer, would it not? Assuming what Dreger reported is true, of course - and, with Burke saying there's been a "deluge" of offers for him, there's no reason to believe it's not.

Agreed.  However, I'm not sure Franson is the type of player you want sitting in the rafters pining for an opportunity.  I mean, he would fall into the Gardiner, Schenn, Aulie camp - young with unattained (we hope) upside - more than an Exelby or Laschoff - servicable but older.  This is the basis of my argument; that you don't keep a 24 year old with upside as your 'just in case'.

Although, I do subscribe to the threory that the simplest explanation is usually the best one...

Offline applecheeks

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2011, 10:48:51 PM »

Agreed.  However, I'm not sure Franson is the type of player you want sitting in the rafters pining for an opportunity.  I mean, he would fall into the Gardiner, Schenn, Aulie camp - young with unattained (we hope) upside - more than an Exelby or Laschoff - servicable but older.  This is the basis of my argument; that you don't keep a 24 year old with upside as your 'just in case'.

Although, I do subscribe to the threory that the simplest explanation is usually the best one...

Just in case is a good thing. Franson did well tonight with all aspects of the game. I still believe he is part of Burkes plans and thats what he's said all along.  Liking what I see.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2011, 08:34:10 AM »
Franson woke up and played the game we thought he could when we got him. He was nowhere near as soft as he's been in the other games he played for us. He was hitting very hard last night night and obviously, his bullet of a shot finally showed itself.
BWB

Online WAYNEINIONA

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2011, 03:12:46 PM »
If Franson continues to play like this , Komi may have a tough time getting back in the lineup.

Offline No.92

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2011, 04:22:16 PM »
If Franson continues to play like this , Komi may have a tough time getting back in the lineup.

Or he pushes Gardiner to the Marlies. I thought Schenn was his nice feisty self that we've come to expect. He plays great when he plays that way.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2011, 04:22:16 PM »