Author Topic: Downtown Connor Brown Re-signed 3 x $2.1  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Downtown Connor Brown

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Downtown Connor Brown Re-signed 3 x $2.1
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 08:44:54 AM »
I think this is a team friendly contract, nice signing by Brown. I wouldn't be surprised to see him score another 20 goals this year. He shot over 14% last season while playing mostly with Matthews and Kadri, but I think he still has some growth left in his game. 2.1 mil for a guy who scores 20 goals is a great deal.

PPP has a good writeup on Brown, they ranked him #6 in their Top 25 under 25 series (https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/toronto-maple-leafs-top-25-prospects-under-25/2017/8/25/16027464/top-25-under-25-2017-toronto-maple-leafs-connor-brown-new-contract-2017-18-nhl-season-stats)
"He's got some bite and some jam."  - Bob McKenzie

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 09:33:24 AM »
They won't be playing on European ice over here though and both guys are pretty fair bets to spend some time with the Marlies before the NHL at which point presumably you're going to want to spend time getting them acclimated to NHL style defensive work. 

Regardless, that still brings us back to the reality of the Leafs having depth at wing. Even if Brown is "only" third on the RW depth chart once Nylander moves to C at some point in the future, he's still there behind two guys who are very young and figure to be with the team for a very long time. The team simply doesn't have that sort of depth at any other position.

At some point the Leafs are going to have to, if they ever want to make trades to address areas of weakness, identify players on their roster who are good and have value and be willing to trade them. Brown fits that criteria right now in a way that very few others on the club do.

Yeah those two will be LW when they come into our system to acclimate to the reduced space.

Basically everyone under the Big Three should be available if the right offer comes along (maybe even the third one). The trick is to build up their value while they cost us pennies. I think you're right that Brown is in and will be in that sweet spot of great trade value for a good stretch.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 09:52:07 AM »
I'm stunned at the price and can't believe he's getting paid less than Hyman.  Great deal.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 10:03:16 AM »
Nice deal!  Glad to have such a versatile player on our hands.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 10:19:05 AM »
Basically everyone under the Big Three should be available if the right offer comes along (maybe even the third one). The trick is to build up their value while they cost us pennies. I think you're right that Brown is in and will be in that sweet spot of great trade value for a good stretch.

And just philosophically, I think we need to be less attached to players who while they may be good, can be replaced. If, going forward, the group of Nylander, Kadri, Matthews, Marner and Kapanen are going to hold 5 of the 6 Top 9 spots at C and RW(regardless of where Nylander ends up) then I think you're going to want to at least keep your options open with that 6th spot.

Again, if Nylander is a RW for the next year or so then we should at least acknowledge the potential of Brown being the 4th line RW in that time. If that's the case can he build and maintain trade value? I don't know.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 10:42:45 AM »
Great deal. Nicely done. :)
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2017, 11:22:10 AM »
I'm very pleased with this deal. $2.1M for a very versatile, young player is great.

Offline KadriFan

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2017, 12:12:24 PM »
Great deal.  Hope he's a Leaf for a very long time. 😎

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2017, 01:24:03 PM »
I don't know. I like Kapanen a lot but I wouldn't slot him above Brown just yet. Hyman is certainly replaceable but he fills a need.

They signed 3 and 4 year deals so don't know what you mean by keeping them around much longer. You mean trade them this season?

Well, I think I'm being intentionally vague there. I don't think there's any immediate need to trade either guy but I can't really see them sticking around past the extensions they just signed either so the team should be aware of that and be open to possibilities of moving them.

With regards to Brown vs. Kapanen while we may disagree about where they are now(again, I think Kapanen was a better AHL player than Brown was and to my eye looked at least to be his equal as a player in his short NHL stint) I think it's fair to say that Kapanen is probably a better long-term bet because of his relative youth.

In the immediate sense, the Leafs will have enough cap room before their big extensions kick in that even if I'm right and Kapanen establishes himself as the #3 guy at RW this year that Brown on the 4th line and doing PK duties is fine for now. Once those extensions kick in though then 2+ million 4th liners is a luxury you probably can't maintain for long.

The only caveat there is that, again, if I'm right and Kapanen is the #3 guy then Brown is going to have a lot of trouble re-creating his offensive output from last year. So trading him beyond this year might get you less if you're not trading him as a "23 year old 20 goal scorer" but a 24 year old 4th liner but, again, if that's a risk the team wants to take I don't think it's a calamity or anything.

That said, you do have to weigh that risk against what we could say would really be the loss between having Brown in that 4th line RW and whoever would replace him...Sosh or Leivo or someone. Is it a lot? Eh.

Anyways, my feelings here have less to do with me and my thoughts on Brown(outside of thinking he's not super-important to the team's future) and more to do with the fact that NHL teams can really only play four RW's.

Why would think Brown would have a hard time repeating last season. He has improved every year in every league he has played in.

Online Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2017, 01:33:59 PM »
I think the assumption is that Kapanen will take his spot at some point and bump him down the line-up. This will mean fewer opportunities and lesser linemates.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
Why would think Brown would have a hard time repeating last season. He has improved every year in every league he has played in.

Leaving aside that it's not that impressive for someone to do better every year they're in Major Junior or the AHL the reason is what I mentioned about him potentially being relegated to 4th line status.
-Mark Twain

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2017, 01:38:42 PM »
You've got a 20-goal scorer signed at a bargain rate.  Well done. Still, if he starts the season off well, I'd look to trade him for a comparable defenseman sooner rather than later. 

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2017, 01:40:27 PM »
I think the assumption is that Kapanen will take his spot at some point and bump him down the line-up. This will mean fewer opportunities and lesser linemates.

Well, someone with better access to advanced stats than I have could maybe correct this but even regardless of Kapanen it seems unlikely that Brown will get much time with Matthews this year. Kadri wasn't a huge offensive downgrade last year but he still was one.

Also, again, regardless of Kapanen you have the high SH% and the possibility he doesn't see much PP time.
-Mark Twain

Online Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2017, 02:56:32 PM »
Plus, I'm pretty hesitant to call Brown a 20-goal scorer. I'd rather: someone who has once scored 20 goals. Kulemin scored 30 in one season.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2017, 02:59:10 PM »
It's a good deal.  If he can get lucky he's still a 15-20 goal scorer.  He's a decent penalty killer and he plays hard.  2.1 million is movable in a trade too.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2017, 02:59:10 PM »