Author Topic: Juuuust didn't quite make it  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Bates

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Juuuust didn't quite make it
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 11:48:40 AM »
I was a STH in St. John's when Dempsey played there, I'm still shocked at how good he was in the minors but couldn't translate it to the NHL.  Chris Snell was another guy who kinda fell off the map after lighting it up in St. John's.

To redeem myself from my Harrison pick a teammate of his, Staffan Kronwall, was a guy I really thought would be able to play in the bigs.

And then from the "sort of had a NHL career post-Leafs" file is Nathan Dempsey.

Online Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2017, 12:13:33 PM »

I feel like Wellwood is someone who probably would have had a really successful career if he'd been around 10 years later or 20 years earlier. He was just in exactly the wrong time for a small, creative player who was kind of a weird dude.

20 years earlier, definitely.  10 years later, I don't know.  His approach to training was lax to put it mildly.  In today's NHL, only the upper tier of elite players can get away with being lax in training.  Furthermore, he was at his best on the power-play and he pretty much capitalized on that with the Leafs post-lockout (the first one).  The amount of power-plays have been declining since- although, I do think he'd be more effective in these new 4F1D schemes patrolling one of the side-boards.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2017, 12:58:33 PM »
20 years earlier, definitely.  10 years later, I don't know.  His approach to training was lax to put it mildly.  In today's NHL, only the upper tier of elite players can get away with being lax in training.

In a way, that's sort of my point. When he came up there was still the thought that a guy who was a little slow but offensively gifted could play an important role on a team because of their PP acumen. The speed of the post-lockout game caught up to him and he lost some of that effectiveness in a way that a lot of guys did.

If he was around now, I think his training habits are an issue that get addressed earlier on and are either dealt with or he doesn't even get out of the AHL.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2017, 04:42:44 PM »
Is it too soon to put Josh Leivo on the list (j/k)? How bout Matt Frattin?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2017, 04:42:44 PM »