Author Topic: Juuuust didn't quite make it  (Read 1886 times)

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Juuuust didn't quite make it
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 09:36:28 AM »
Pogge hurts the most because he was chosen over Rask... which triggered the dark days of Andrew Raycroft which lead to a death spiral for the whole franchise.

Pilar! Loved that guy. Heart problems and a lockout season steered him overseas where he stayed.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 10:03:25 AM »
I had Jay Harrison on my list, but figured because he's had a somewhat decent career he didn't count. But "guys that turned out OK but were discarded by the Leafs" could be another list.
Harrison can thank Paul Maurice for rescuing him from the AHL. Paul coached the Marlies and when he was head coach of CAR he acquired Harrison. I liked Harrison too.

Slightly off-topic, but I remember watching Stralman on the Marlies and thinking "holy crap, this guy is going to be really good." He got the call-up and played two half seasons with the Leafs then they traded him.........for Wayne Primeau.  :-\  The other guy they let get away (through waivers!) was Steve Sullivan. That really annoyed the hell out of me.

I also really thought Alyn McCauley was going to turn into a solid 2nd line centre, but that didn't pan out.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:15:51 AM by Bullfrog »

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 10:11:59 AM »
I had Jay Harrison on my list, but figured because he's had a somewhat decent career he didn't count. But "guys that turned out OK but were discarded by the Leafs" could be another list.
Harrison can thank Paul Maurice for rescuing him from the AHL. Paul coached the Marlies and when he was head coach of CAR he acquired Harrison. I liked Harrison too.

Slightly off-topic, but I remember watching Stralman on the Marlies and thinking "holy crap, this guy is going to be really good." He got the call-up and played two half seasons with the Leafs then they traded him.........for Wayne Primeau.  :-\  The other guy they let get away (through waivers!) was Steve Sullivan. That really annoyed the hell out of me.

I also really thought Alyn MacCauley was going to turn into a solid 2nd line centre, but that didn't pan out.

McCauley played 488 NHL games, so I'd say that's a pretty decent NHL career.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 10:18:46 AM »
Jonas Frogren
Ryan Hamilton
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:20:18 AM by Frank E »

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 10:39:23 AM »
Pierre Hedin was someone who came over to North America with quite a bit of hype but fizzled out quickly. Wasn't he the guy one of his Swedish coaches called Lidstrom-like (I couldn't find any evidence of that from google but I thought it was about him).

edit: Looks like that Lidstrom comment I remembered was about Stralman, man we really should have listened to that.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:40:57 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 10:44:30 AM »
Wasn't a big Ashton fan he would try to fight and always ended up bleeding profusely. A very punch-able nose apparently.

I blame Carlyle for that. He got into fights more frequently when it was clear he was fighting for a 4th line spot on team coached by a guy who liked to dress fighters on that line.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Omallley

• Global Moderator
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 10:46:50 AM »

I also really thought Alyn MacCauley was going to turn into a solid 2nd line centre, but that didn't pan out.

McCauley played 488 NHL games, so I'd say that's a pretty decent NHL career.

He was serviceable. But there was that playoffs in the early 2000s where he really played well (granted, the team was pretty much entirely made up of AHL players at that point) and I definitely had the "maybe he'll put it all together" feeling for him in the coming years. He never hit that level of scoring again.

I had brief hopes that Max Kondratiev would amount to something. And I definitely thought Jeremy Williams had an NHL shot...

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 10:51:03 AM »
Wasn't a big Ashton fan he would try to fight and always ended up bleeding profusely. A very punch-able nose apparently.

I blame Carlyle for that. He got into fights more frequently when it was clear he was fighting for a 4th line spot on team coached by a guy who liked to dress fighters on that line.

Yeah, I don't know if Ashton would have been a regular NHLer otherwise, but it's blatantly clear that he essentially tried to become a fighter to get into Randy's good books when it clearly wasn't something he was cut out for.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 10:55:36 AM »
Does Paul Ranger fit into this? I had pretty high hopes for his comeback. He didn't quite reach them but I thought that he was a pretty decent bottom pairing guy in his season here.

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 11:09:15 AM »
There's a pretty good list of baby Buds that didn't pan out, and then there is a much larger and more cringeworthy list of baby Buds that management shipped off too soon.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 11:11:53 AM »
I really don't know why this thread made me think of Kyle Wellwood because he did go on to have a somewhat successful NHL career, just not with the Leafs. Maybe because he was sort of our fools gold of what we thought we had coming down the pipe back then. Its sort of a reminder of how lucky we really are now to be in this current position.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:13:34 AM by RedLeaf »
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
I really don't know why this thread made me think of Kyle Wellwood because he did go on to have a somewhat successful NHL career, just not with the Leafs. Maybe because he was sort of our fools gold of what we thought we had coming down the pipe back then. Its sort of a reminder of how lucky we really are now to be in this current position.

Steen and Stajan are another couple of probably similar to Wellwood. More so Steen I'd say.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 11:26:21 AM »
I really wanted to see the Steen - Stajan - Wellwood line make it together.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 11:40:35 AM »

I was actually really bummed when Wellwood left the NHL. He really transformed his game and became a reliable 3rd line player in his later NHL years, even on the defensive side of the game. If he was just a little bit bigger I'm sure somebody would have signed him and he could have kept his career going. He's only 34 now and has been out of the NHL for 4 seasons now.

Just out of curiosity, I decided to look up his Hero chart:

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 11:46:35 AM »

I feel like Wellwood is someone who probably would have had a really successful career if he'd been around 10 years later or 20 years earlier. He was just in exactly the wrong time for a small, creative player who was kind of a weird dude.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 11:46:35 AM »