Author Topic: The Official Movie Thread  (Read 87700 times)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Movie Thread
« Reply #975 on: August 01, 2017, 10:06:32 PM »
A watered down 95 minute movie with barely an iota of the main characters probably isn't going to hook anybody in.

That's entirely on purpose, though. Since they're not adaptations, but a sequel to the entire Dark Tower series (likely picking up after the point King intends to end the books), the main characters from the books aren't going to be the main characters in the movies. Their stories will have happened in the past. The whole point of what they're doing is to develop new main characters for what is a new series set in the same world.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: August 02, 2017, 09:53:50 AM »
Saw Dunkirk the other day. Might be one of the best war films ever made.

Absolute stunning piece of work. Some parts of it genuinely difficult to watch. Music score superb. Can't wait to go see it again.

It's one of the few movies I would pay money again to see in the theater. It's rare that a movie has had be nervous pretty much the whole way through.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: August 03, 2017, 09:27:10 AM »
So reviews for Dark Tower have been, er, less than good.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: August 04, 2017, 06:18:43 AM »
Agree with the Dunkirk praise. That was a rousing, intense experience from start to finish. Unbelievable sound too. Just loved it.

As for Dark Tower, 20% on rottentomatoes, 34 on metacritic. Yea, I think I will wait for 'It.'

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: August 04, 2017, 11:46:13 AM »
The Big Sick was fantastic, best romcom since About Time.

Online Bill_Berg

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: August 05, 2017, 12:48:07 AM »
So reviews for Dark Tower have been, er, less than good.

If you're a fan of the novels, skip it.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: September 07, 2017, 06:04:25 PM »
'It' currently sitting at 89% at rottentomatoes. Looking forward to this!

Saw a few good ones recently: 'Baby Driver' and 'Logan'. The former was particularly great; just really entertaining from start to finish.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: October 10, 2017, 12:37:44 PM »

I'm reading more and more of the Harvey Weinstein stuff and while the depths of how bad it is certainly is a bit of a shock the fact is that Weinstein has for years had a reputation of being such a jerk that it's been openly lampooned in various shows.

Weinstein will face consequences, one hopes, but it's largely meaningless if we don't combine that with a hard look at the culture that allows this to thrive. Not exclusively in film either. The idea that being good at what you do excuses lousy behaviour is a toxic one. That we accept it in so many fields(entertainment, sports, politics) is something that needs a huge change.

Be a good person. What you make is not more important than who you are. Don't support bad things. None of these are hard concepts.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: October 11, 2017, 04:58:56 PM »

I'm reading more and more of the Harvey Weinstein stuff and while the depths of how bad it is certainly is a bit of a shock the fact is that Weinstein has for years had a reputation of being such a jerk that it's been openly lampooned in various shows.

Weinstein will face consequences, one hopes, but it's largely meaningless if we don't combine that with a hard look at the culture that allows this to thrive. Not exclusively in film either. The idea that being good at what you do excuses lousy behaviour is a toxic one. That we accept it in so many fields(entertainment, sports, politics) is something that needs a huge change.

Be a good person. What you make is not more important than who you are. Don't support bad things. None of these are hard concepts.

The "I'm shocked and outraged" talk from the Hollywood types right now is grating.  It was openly lampooned and the rumours were going around forever.  Weinstein is also one of those guys who you piss off and your career is toast if you don't have enough clout so it isn't like we are talking about a small executive.  EVERYONE knew what he was doing and kept quiet about it.  Stop pretending like you didn't know.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: November 11, 2017, 10:33:05 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/vanityfairmagazine/videos/10155313579727572/

This is a video of Taika Waititi breaking down a scene from Thor: Ragnarok (spoiler alert).

Online Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: November 13, 2017, 12:52:48 PM »

The "I'm shocked and outraged" talk from the Hollywood types right now is grating.  It was openly lampooned and the rumours were going around forever.  Weinstein is also one of those guys who you piss off and your career is toast if you don't have enough clout so it isn't like we are talking about a small executive.  EVERYONE knew what he was doing and kept quiet about it.  Stop pretending like you didn't know.

I'm having a hard time reconciling all of this.  I don't know how we can come back from it, at least not this generation.  Men just treat women horribly on the grand scale.  Changes need to be made to our society, and I am just not sure how those changes are going to get made.  Women have to be seen as people and not as sexual objects, but then where do we draw that line?  This means that we have to get rid of things like the Carl's Jr. ads, things like the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition, and the Sunshine girl in the paper.  We have to get rid of them, not because it's wrong for women to do them, but because it's clear that men can't handle that sort of stimulation.  Somehow we have to teach men that when a women is looking attractive it is because she is trying to feel good about herself and not because she is actually trying to attract attention from men.  I just feel horrible being a male these days.  I just don't know where things went off the rails, or if it was always that way, and the men that are in the world today are just the ones left holding the bag and have to clean this mess that the previous generations of males made up.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: November 13, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »
I'm having a hard time reconciling all of this.  I don't know how we can come back from it, at least not this generation.  Men just treat women horribly on the grand scale.  Changes need to be made to our society, and I am just not sure how those changes are going to get made.  Women have to be seen as people and not as sexual objects, but then where do we draw that line?  This means that we have to get rid of things like the Carl's Jr. ads, things like the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition, and the Sunshine girl in the paper.  We have to get rid of them, not because it's wrong for women to do them, but because it's clear that men can't handle that sort of stimulation.  Somehow we have to teach men that when a women is looking attractive it is because she is trying to feel good about herself and not because she is actually trying to attract attention from men.  I just feel horrible being a male these days.  I just don't know where things went off the rails, or if it was always that way, and the men that are in the world today are just the ones left holding the bag and have to clean this mess that the previous generations of males made up.

The bolded is the issue. We need to educate men at a young age how to handle these stimuli. All removing them really does is enforce the perception that women being comfortable with their sexuality is somehow wrong and needs to be hidden (some of them should probably be removed, yes - like the Sunshine girl - others need to be reframed or retained).
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: November 13, 2017, 01:08:06 PM »
I know you mean well SI, but it's a slippery slope towards becoming the kind of puritan ultra-religious/conservative society we mock the far-right for and lambast some of the middle eastern countries for. I don't think the solution is to get rid of all traces of sexuality, that seems very backward and something that would lead to more repression and deviancy.

I agree that we need a complete societal shift, but on an individual level make sure you're the best version of yourself, project that attitude in all your interactions and teach your children to be the same, past that you cannot really be asked to do more.

If we can all do that the tide will change and the good news I think is that young people today seem much more kind and thoughtful than they ever did in the past.

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: November 13, 2017, 01:09:38 PM »
The bolded is the issue. We need to educate men at a young age how to handle these stimuli. All removing them really does is enforce the perception that women being comfortable with their sexuality is somehow wrong and needs to be hidden (some of them should probably be removed, yes - like the Sunshine girl - others need to be reframed or retained).

Agreed.

As usual, busta says what I was trying to, much more eloquently than I could.

Online Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: November 13, 2017, 01:13:03 PM »

Yeah, I see your point.  I just don't know how we go from one to the other.  I don't necessarily disagree with you, because I do believe that the root of the problem is in the way men perceive women.  It's just that if your primarily portray something as a sexual object, then how do you get around not seeing that thing as a sexual object. 

For example, women who go to strip clubs, will treat the men at the strip club as if they are a sexual objects, but that is what they are being portrayed as.  So in that scenario there is this social contract that everyone has agreed that this is the norm in that situation. 

However in society, portraying women as sexual objects doesn't seem to stop at a strip club.  Men not so much in normal society.  Women get objectified in everything, because of several reasons, but I would say primarily because sex sells.   So I agree that men have to learn how to handle it.  I guess what I am trying look at is, can you have that solution, when there is an over abundance of material that is presenting one of the sexes in that light?  If the tables were turned, and every movie had a guy with his parts hanging out, instead of a women, and every add showed a mans buttocks, would the women then perceive men as purely sexual objects?  Or do women perceive stimuli such as that differently and it wouldn't be a problem?  We can change the amount of the stimuli, or we can change the way the stimuli are mapped in the male brain.  If we change the mapping though, I wonder if we run in to other problems.     
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #989 on: November 13, 2017, 01:13:03 PM »