Author Topic: The Avengers: Infinity War (Spoilers!)  (Read 333 times)

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
The Avengers: Infinity War (Spoilers!)
« on: May 03, 2018, 10:53:09 AM »
I haven't seen it yet.

I enjoyed this scene breakdown by the Russo brothers though, detailing an encounter Thor has with the Guardians, as seen in the trailers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-luQokOiBw

I'll check in on the thread again after Sunday!

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: The Avengers: Infinity War (Spoilers!)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 11:46:59 AM »
I enjoyed it, for the most part, part of me feels a little cheated by the inevitability of what comes next though.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 11:59:49 AM »
I enjoyed it, for the most part, part of me feels a little cheated by the inevitability of what comes next though.

Fairly standard comic book stuff though. I'll be ok with it as long as they don't bring EVERYONE back from the dead... only the people who were disintegrated at the end (sorry, Loki).

Also, I imagine that getting everyone back isn't going to be a straight-forward affair. It'll probably require some sacrifices by the heroes still around... so there will be real costs to what happened.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 09:30:12 AM »
Interesting that the OG squad was left standing (now with something to actually Avenge).
The next slate of movies gives a pretty good indication of who is coming back. I'm guessing it'll be Time/Soul/Reality stone shenanigans with the old team passing the torch onto the new.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 10:00:56 AM »
This wasn't a movie that was very deep on character development (Thanos, Thor, Wanda/Vision excepted), but it was very good at paying off a lot of the character setups from previous movies (Gamora/Nebula, Thor/Loki, Stark/Parker) and maintained a lot of their character/sense of humour/lackthereof beats from those movies as well.

I thought the Russos gave nice, weighty (and very quick) touchstone moments for the reunions done largely through acting, rather than dialogue.

"I am Loki, Prince of Asgard, rightful ruler of Jotunheim, Odison..." * SIGNIFICANT EYE CONTACT *

"Hi Bruce." *pause* "Nat." *linger* *cut to Falcon* "This is awkward..." while signposting the super creepy relationship of Wanda/Vision in the same shot

"Haircut?"
"Yeah! I see you've copied my beard."
: |

I also enjoyed that the STEM-kids both like the same memes.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 09:12:01 AM »
I'm doing a bunch of MCU rewatches now because my wife has renewed interest after watching IW.

I guess this is leaning a bit into their Arrested Development experience, but a good chunk of the lines that I can recall are call backs to previous Avengers movies (especially AoU).

Apparently James Gunn wrote the dialogue for the Guardians, so that explains why there wasn't any discrepancy in their banter in this movie compared to their own.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 03:29:01 PM »

... duh.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 01:17:38 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/8gvsjv/massive_spoilers_joe_russo_confirms_several/

If you're interested in this sort of thing, Joe Russo visited and answered the questions of some high schoolers; a couple of them were kind enough to both record and transcribe the interaction.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:19:36 PM by herman »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 01:17:38 PM »