Author Topic: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion  (Read 59853 times)

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion
« Reply #600 on: December 27, 2017, 03:37:31 PM »
MLHS's Anthony Petrielli and TLN's Ian Tulloch teamed up for a pair of podcasts last week.

This one is with Off the Post and about the best lines in the NHL right now
https://soundcloud.com/off-the-post/cream-of-the-crop-which-lines-are-the-nhls-best-ep-70

This one is on Ian's Leafs Geeks Podcast and specifically about the Leafs' State of the System that we've been hashing out lately
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017/12/26/anthony-petrielli-analyzes-toronto-maple-leafs-systems-leafs-geeks-podcast/

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 30, 2017, 02:02:31 PM »
Here's a fun blast from the past :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5jKAsnYYF8
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 31, 2017, 02:03:52 PM »
The Leafs don't have a single back-to-back until January 24th/25th. But they have 10 games in 23 days in that time, including a stretch where they play 6 games in 11 days (that starts today against Vegas). Lots of home games though (6 in a row after Vegas). It'll be interesting to see how Babcock uses Pickard/McBackup prior to the next B2B. Or if he uses them at all.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 01, 2018, 01:49:27 PM »
Zaitsev update:

That means likely a minimum of 5 more games without him.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 01, 2018, 05:25:43 PM »

Thread: click through the tweet

Iím looking forward to 2018. We arenít playing at our peak yet and have had a nasty road heavy schedule for the first half and we are still sitting on a decent cushion of points (poorly earned or otherwise).

We will see the contrast between us, a good team, vs Tampa Bay, a great Cup contender, and it will still be stark difference at the moment. But the pieces for greatness are there and growing and cap room is coming (briefly). We donít have the injury luck of last season or the overachievement of so many players, but bounces will come.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 01, 2018, 06:59:32 PM »

Iím looking forward to 2018. We arenít playing at our peak yet and have had a nasty road heavy schedule for the first half and we are still sitting on a decent cushion of points (poorly earned or otherwise).

We will see the contrast between us, a good team, vs Tampa Bay, a great Cup contender, and it will still be stark difference at the moment. But the pieces for greatness are there and growing and cap room is coming (briefly). We donít have the injury luck of last season or the overachievement of so many players, but bounces will come.

I hate to break up this guy's lazy lede but there is no sky is falling panic in anything I've been reading.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 02, 2018, 10:09:24 AM »
https://theathletic.com/199613/2018/01/02/qa-lou-lamoriello-on-upgrading-the-leafs-defence-auston-matthews-and-if-hell-remain-gm-next-season/

Jonas Siegel sat down to pick Lou's brain, and as usual, we got next to nothing out of a lot of words.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 02, 2018, 10:53:59 AM »
ImHuge @ r/leafs has been tracking our 6pts in 5 games target Babcock set out last season.

Someone else (bravenewname) added formatting for away games, so if we're wondering why December's record was so dismal (on top of losing Matthews for a stretch and playing like garbage):

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 02, 2018, 11:53:14 AM »
Unless the Goat!
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 02, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »
Unless the Goat!
Here's to you Busta...LOL
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 02, 2018, 12:08:15 PM »
https://theathletic.com/199613/2018/01/02/qa-lou-lamoriello-on-upgrading-the-leafs-defence-auston-matthews-and-if-hell-remain-gm-next-season/

Jonas Siegel sat down to pick Lou's brain, and as usual, we got next to nothing out of a lot of words.

Lou's skull is fashioned of tungsten and various rare-earth minerals.  Not possible to infiltrate.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 02, 2018, 12:52:26 PM »

x2
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 02, 2018, 01:28:52 PM »
ImHuge @ r/leafs has been tracking our 6pts in 5 games target Babcock set out last season.

Someone else (bravenewname) added formatting for away games, so if we're wondering why December's record was so dismal (on top of losing Matthews for a stretch and playing like garbage):

I believe I read that the Leafs had 18 back-to-backs this year.  I think they have complete 13 (70% of them) and have just 5 more to go.

All other things being equal, there is reason to believe the 2nd half will go a little better.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 02, 2018, 05:12:01 PM »

I believe I read that the Leafs had 18 back-to-backs this year.  I think they have complete 13 (70% of them) and have just 5 more to go.

All other things being equal, there is reason to believe the 2nd half will go a little better.

Fourteen this season, but I'm not sure how many they've played so far.
ďHow many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, theyíre coming home. Mark my words, theyíll be coming.Ē
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 02, 2018, 05:47:32 PM »

Lou's skull is fashioned of tungsten and various rare-earth minerals.  Not possible to infiltrate.

Uninfiltratium?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #614 on: January 02, 2018, 05:47:32 PM »