Author Topic: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion  (Read 17537 times)

Offline sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion
« Reply #270 on: November 05, 2017, 09:33:21 AM »
Something's gotta give here.  I am now genuinely concerned about this team.  They started off great but the league adjusted to them and they have failed to come up with a new game plan.  Sadly, what may happen is that management will trade away some players to try and shake things up.  Maybe JVR for some defense, or even Mitch Marner as some have speculated.  I hope the Leafs can turn things around quickly because I like the team as it is.  They are too good of a team to keep losing like this.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 05, 2017, 11:58:33 AM »
Something's gotta give here.  I am now genuinely concerned about this team.  They started off great but the league adjusted to them and they have failed to come up with a new game plan.  Sadly, what may happen is that management will trade away some players to try and shake things up.  Maybe JVR for some defense, or even Mitch Marner as some have speculated.  I hope the Leafs can turn things around quickly because I like the team as it is.  They are too good of a team to keep losing like this.

I like their forwards, in general.  The defense is full of holes from top to bottom, and Freddie is a good, but not great, netminder so he is not going to Price them out of their defensive shortcomings.

As a couple of people said post-game, it's time for us to recalibrate our expectations.  That talk about them being SC favorites was pure giddiness.  The team is being exposed, and unless and until they considerably upgrade the defensemen they can't be counted as contenders.  That will not happen this year, and it may take several, if it happens at all.  Some of the defensive problems of the forwards will be solved by subtraction.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 05, 2017, 12:39:51 PM »

They've been playing some great teams and the Leafs are a good team, not elite. They're trying, but they're coming up short. Their next ten are against several clubs I would say below them, time to make up some ground. Arizona, Boston, Vegas, Carolina, Montreal and Florida are games they can definitely be competitive in. If you look at the League right now there's a lot of .500 teams, a few elite and a few basement dwellers. It's just a parity league now.

Don't worry, this is really only year two of these young Leafs, last year with all the phenomenal rookie years that was really year one. It takes time to build a winner. A lot of excellent pieces here.
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 05, 2017, 01:01:59 PM »

I like their forwards, in general.  The defense is full of holes from top to bottom, and Freddie is a good, but not great, netminder so he is not going to Price them out of their defensive shortcomings.

As a couple of people said post-game, it's time for us to recalibrate our expectations.  That talk about them being SC favorites was pure giddiness.  The team is being exposed, and unless and until they considerably upgrade the defensemen they can't be counted as contenders.  That will not happen this year, and it may take several, if it happens at all.  Some of the defensive problems of the forwards will be solved by subtraction.
Any chance we'll see Liljegren called up before the end of the season?  He's playing extremely well for the Marlies right now.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 05, 2017, 01:23:45 PM »

Any chance we'll see Liljegren called up before the end of the season?  He's playing extremely well for the Marlies right now.

It's possible but I doubt it.  He really needs a whole season as a pro in NA, if for nothing else than to learn to deal with the mid- and late-season grind.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 05, 2017, 03:48:33 PM »
People are freaking out but I think it's fine. The team wasn't as good as that 7-2 start, but they're also not as bad as this recent 1-5 stretch either.  I think they turn it around this week.

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 05, 2017, 06:46:32 PM »
People are freaking out but I think it's fine. The team wasn't as good as that 7-2 start, but they're also not as bad as this recent 1-5 stretch either.  I think they turn it around this week.

Nobody is freaking out.  Speaking for myself, I'm frustrated that the same problems exist, that have existed for years.  Last year, they were masked by Andersen.  Now, they're obvious again because Andersen isn't playing nearly as good.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 06:50:10 PM by AvroArrow »

Offline skrackle

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 05, 2017, 07:52:26 PM »

Nobody is freaking out.  Speaking for myself, I'm frustrated that the same problems exist, that have existed for years.  Last year, they were masked by Andersen.  Now, they're obvious again because Andersen isn't playing nearly as good.

I share your frustration to an extent. The last Leaf team that I recall playing consistently good defense was the early Pat Burns era team. The fact that the current team doesn't seem to have a clue lately is mitigated by their youth. The promise of the elite talent the Leafs finally have keeps me interested while they work the bugs out.

I think that it's going to take, I don't know, maybe two more seasons if everything goes well, for the Leafs to develop real structure in their game. It's partly dependent on further successful shaping of the roster because it's not the right mix as it stands.

I don't have much patience for any veterans who can't, don't or won't buy in. I hope they are shown the door.

Offline sickbeast

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 05, 2017, 11:10:40 PM »

I'm starting to freak out actually.  :o

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 06, 2017, 06:35:11 AM »

I don't expect Andersen to stand up on his head this year for all of the remaining games in the season.  He did it last year, and clearly even if he would do so again now, it still won't guarantee a turnaround of the Leafs ship.  True that Andersen seems less consistent somewhat, but it's also true that the Leafs defence is in some ways worse than last season.

I agree with Zee in that the Leafs have a chance to back to a winning stance beginning this week.  None of this will negate what ails this team but at least a bit of positivity in the win column will do well for them...until further notice.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 06, 2017, 12:08:57 PM »
This might be trolling or it might be the sheer self-loathing Leafs fans have been conditioned to feel, but I saw one of the worst trade proposals in a long time on twitter this morning from a guy with thousands of followers.

Bozak, JVR, Kapanen and a 1st for RNH

Is it just me or is that absolutely preposterous?

I don't know that I'd do Kapanen and a 1st alone.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 06, 2017, 12:20:44 PM »
This might be trolling or it might be the sheer self-loathing Leafs fans have been conditioned to feel, but I saw one of the worst trade proposals in a long time on twitter this morning from a guy with thousands of followers.

Steve Simmons has thousands of followers??!

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 06, 2017, 12:30:29 PM »

That's a massive overpayment. Like, ridiculously so. Who in their right mind is going to give up that for a 2nd line C?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 06, 2017, 12:33:10 PM »
That was exactly my response too and then I started second guessing myself, so I wanted to get the TMLfans take.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 06, 2017, 12:37:20 PM »
That was exactly my response too and then I started second guessing myself, so I wanted to get the TMLfans take.

I'd say you were spot on. If Edmonton is really interested in moving RNH (I'm not convinced they are) and are looking for depth on the wing (something they should be doing), then maybe something with JvR as the main piece, but no Bozak, and Kapanen unless the Oilers are willing to eat some serious cap on RNH's contract.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #284 on: November 06, 2017, 12:37:20 PM »