Author Topic: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion  (Read 17426 times)

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion
« Reply #210 on: October 23, 2017, 12:33:37 PM »
Yeah, the Fehr waiving basically covers the cost of Polak.

They had room under the cap (LTIR room) to carry both.

However, they don't have roster space for all of Polak, Rosen, and Fehr.  Expect to see Rosen back up after Fehr gets claimed or assigned to the Marlies.

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 23, 2017, 12:40:34 PM »
I wonder if Fehr becomes more attractive to other teams after clearing waivers ala Pickard.

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 23, 2017, 12:45:24 PM »
I wonder if Fehr becomes more attractive to other teams after clearing waivers ala Pickard.
He's still insurance in case Moore gets hurt.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 23, 2017, 12:47:12 PM »

Yeah, I would think the Leafs would value him being in the minors and ready for an injury call-up rather than the 6th round pick they'd get in return

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 23, 2017, 12:54:46 PM »
Yeah, you could well be right, just speculating as to all the possible outcomes.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 23, 2017, 01:03:03 PM »
The only reason the Leafs may want to move Fehr out is if they have another move brewing:

Fehr will still account for 975k of cap space while in the minors.  Right now they sit at $5.45 million available under LTIR, prior to demoting Fehr and calling up Calle (as expected).  After those moves, they will be at $5.55 million available.  If Fehr were to be traded or claimed, the cap space would grow to $6.525 million.

Just sayin'....
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/erik-karlsson

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 23, 2017, 01:04:37 PM »
The only reason the Leafs may want to move Fehr out is if they have another move brewing:

Fehr will still account for 975k of cap space while in the minors.  Right now they sit at $5.45 million available under LTIR, prior to demoting Fehr and calling up Calle (as expected).  After those moves, they will be at $5.55 million available.  If Fehr were to be traded or claimed, the cap space would grow to $6.525 million.

Just sayin'....

I'm pretty sure Karlsson is going to make more than 6.525 in his next deal.  I'm also pretty sure the Sens are moving him at any point over this season.  If they aren't moving Turris, they aren't moving Karlsson.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 23, 2017, 01:08:12 PM »

They still have Aaltonen (who looked like he was about to steal the 4C spot until the last second), Gauthier (who looked like he was going to be the teams future 4C), and Ben Smith (*sigh*) with the Marlies. I don't think any teams needs FOUR back-up 4th line centres.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 23, 2017, 01:11:06 PM »

Just sayin'....

I'm pretty sure Karlsson is going to make more than 6.525 in his next deal.  I'm also pretty sure the Sens are moving him at any point over this season.  If they aren't moving Turris, they aren't moving Karlsson.

It was a joke.  Of course they aren't moving him.  But, since you took it seriously.... I'll take him at 12.5M on his next contract and he could still be added to this years team if there was ever a chance in hell that would happen.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 23, 2017, 01:37:00 PM »

Or just to free up as much cap space as possible through moving players who they don't expect to contribute to the roster . . .
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 24, 2017, 12:08:20 PM »

Fehr cleared waivers, for those of you holding your breath.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 24, 2017, 12:13:13 PM »

There was nothing to Fehr but Fehr itself.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 24, 2017, 02:14:36 PM »

He's cleared, but hasn't been assigned to the Marlies as far as I can tell from the transaction logs.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 24, 2017, 02:16:22 PM »

He's cleared, but hasn't been assigned to the Marlies as far as I can tell from the transaction logs.

The news won't all burst forth at once. You have to let it release in slow drips so that we have several things to talk about. Fehr clearing waivers and being assigned to the Marlies in one post? Heads would explode. Servers would crash. Enjoy the anticipation.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 24, 2017, 02:38:17 PM »
It's curious because Fehr did not need to be waived to make room for Polak (wouldn't have been in time for the game against LA either), as Rosen's loan sufficed.

I know the reason he made the opening night roster was primarily for his cap hit to juice the LTIR (same with Marincin) and getting him a game in front of his 'hometown'.

And now I'm being confronted by my own mortality because I'm a few months older than Fehr and he looks a decade older than his birthdate suggests. Like, nearly as old as Ekblad.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #224 on: October 24, 2017, 02:38:17 PM »