Author Topic: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion  (Read 18258 times)

Deebo and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion
« Reply #150 on: September 12, 2017, 12:41:48 PM »
Pronman is releasing a Top 100 Under 25 of NHL players:
25+ GP and < 25 years old by Sept 15, 2017

72. Connor Brown, RW, Toronto

The top half drop tomorrow, but it'll probably be forgotten amidst the iPhone news.

Just ahead of the iPhone event!

https://theathletic.com/97243/2017/09/12/the-top-100-nhlers-under-25-years-old-part-2/

46. Morgan Rielly
21. William Nylander
9. Mitch Marner
2. Auston Matthews

As an aside, Ive maintained for the last year and a half that between Laine and Matthews its a coin flip, and that remains true to this day. After leaning to Laine for most of the last year or so, I leaned a little to Matthews now after continuing to be wowed by his skill level and shot generation, more so than what I thought of his skill as a prospect. Matthews is nearly a year older and has one more season of experience so Laine's development track could surpass Matthews at the pace hes going. However, I see where both players are now and ask how likely can Laine improve and push play forward in the upcoming season like Matthews showed in the previous season and its questionable enough to make me lean the opposite way from where Ive been the last year.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2017, 12:43:43 PM »
Marner feels like a bit too high. Nylander feels too low (esp. with Puljujarvi and Arvidsson, etc. above him). Matthews is in the right spot.

Rielly is... whatever. Pronman has Ristolainen higher than Rielly, so I'm a bit flummoxed there.

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 12, 2017, 01:33:41 PM »
Yeah, the Nylander ranking is pretty laughable.

61 points last year, improved as the games got harder and then dominated the WHC.

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 12, 2017, 01:35:08 PM »
Marner feels like a bit too high. Nylander feels too low (esp. with Puljujarvi and Arvidsson, etc. above him). Matthews is in the right spot.

Rielly is... whatever. Pronman has Ristolainen higher than Rielly, so I'm a bit flummoxed there.

Nothing against Rielly, but I'd take Ristolainen over Rielly every time. 

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 12, 2017, 01:39:43 PM »

Nothing against Rielly, but I'd take Ristolainen over Rielly every time.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 12, 2017, 02:26:20 PM »

Predicting the Toronto "Aretnas" becoming a meme around that time. Much like the "Oneders" from That Thing You Do.
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2017, 02:06:17 PM »
In honour of my World Cup memories,

Team North American Leafs
Marleau - Matthews - Marner
Leivo - Kadri - Hyman
JvR - Bozak - Bracco
Rychel - Brooks - Piccinich

Gardiner - Carrick
Rielly - Hainsey
Dermott - Nielsen

Sparks

Team European Leafs
Timashov - Nylander - Grundstrom
Johnsson - Aaltonen - Kapanen
Soshnikov - Komarov - Korshkov
Lindberg - Bobylev - Dzierkals

Borgman - Liljegren
Rosen - Zaitsev
Marincin - Rasanen

Andersen

Yeah, I know Nylander was born in Calgary.

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 14, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »
In what is quite frankly shocking news, both Horton and Lupul failed their medicals.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 15, 2017, 08:42:53 AM »

I cried.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 15, 2017, 08:49:02 AM »

I cried.

He's wrong, Auston Matthews would take that potato and pass it around, and the team would be amazed that there's enough food for the entire roster, coaches, training staff and management.  Jesus-style.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 17, 2017, 05:22:24 AM »

I cried.

He's wrong, Auston Matthews would take that potato and pass it around, and the team would be amazed that there's enough food for the entire roster, coaches, training staff and management.  Jesus-style.

The poor humble potato.  :)

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2017, 07:17:46 PM »
www.twitter.com/zeisberger/status/910990291863252992

Thanks, Andersen!

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2017, 02:15:17 PM »
https://theathletic.com/111725/2017/09/27/mirtle-is-the-nhls-shift-away-from-veterans-to-the-kids-a-good-thing/

Amidst the salary cap, free agency, and rookie count conversation, Mirtle touches on the biometrics the Leafs are using during practice and what the data might be telling them about peak performance curves.

We saw last season Nylander getting pulled from an upcoming game due to some mysterious ailment after a full practice. The theory at the time was something showed up weird in the monitors and they wanted to play it safe.

This point, in conjunction with Greening's remark that all the UFAs signed by the Leafs for the NHL roster are all upper 30s, but still in the league and considered effective piqued a theory.

Originally, when they were signed, my take was that they wanted playoff veterans who had the right playstyles to match the young roster; players who also had the 'intangibles' of living right, gyming hard, and eating properly. Having them in the room with the younger players to impart a lot of that through osmosis and mentorship, teaching them how to have longevity in a league that chews the majority of its players up, and in the case of Marleau how to handle being a highly touted star and staying grounded. They're also at the stage in their careers where they are right on the cusp between still-effective and overtake-able (hence the short contracts).

Now I believe there is an additional benefit: science! The Sports Science & Performance department is gathering oodles of biometric data on every player in the system, the elites, the primes, the prospects. Now they have a small sample of Methuselahs and can start finding data markers for what sets Marleau, Hainsey, and Moore apart from the rest of their cohorts that have since retired. It's not just right living and maintenance that gets some players up to their 40s playing a high speed contact sport effectively. The Leafs have a lot of technology at their disposal and now they also have some guinea pigs to really test their theories and techniques on for refining the development program and finding advantages in scouting.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2017, 03:15:55 PM »
Analytics has helped teams realize this: re: Mirtle article

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 03:20:00 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 28, 2017, 07:55:31 AM »
Apparently, a rival team has been sniffing around our Leivo

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/josh-leivo-faces-uphill-climb-make-leafs-despite-strong-showing/

but our asking price was prohibitively high.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #164 on: September 28, 2017, 07:55:31 AM »