Author Topic: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion  (Read 17752 times)

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2017, 09:22:38 AM »
MLHS with the transcript as always: https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017/09/10/lou-lamoriello-bob-mckenzie-interview/

Although in typical Lou fashion, he basically said nothing of substance in that 30 minute interview.

My favourite part was the Cheshire Cat grin Lou had when Bob asked about Nylander's contract discussions.

I was half expecting the lights to mysteriously go out at that point and to have McKenzie replaced by Dreger when they came back on.

How are your video editing skills?

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2017, 09:28:18 AM »
Did the successes of last year’s team surprise you a little bit?

Lamoriello: Oh, I think so. I think that the growth and the way the players adapted within the framework of the system… I think in the previous year what we went through was Mike bringing in an up-tempo system and we had to really educate the veterans who were here before to play that and find out how many could. The teaching was really into the veterans. The people who really survived that were perfect at it so Mike could focus on the younger players last year. The veterans really helped the younger players by doing it right all the time. Also, the receptiveness of the young players — we didn’t know how quickly they would come. We didn’t know that they would adjust that quickly and have the success they have. I would have to say [it surprised me]. We weren’t different from anybody else. We were a little ahead of ourselves.

This might be the most revealing thing Lou actually said that he hadn't touched on before.

Online Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2017, 09:35:16 AM »
They had to be De-Randied.

Online Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2017, 09:54:58 AM »
I now understand the reason for the hype surrounding Liligren. He needs some fine tuning to be sure, but I think he'll be another good offensive minded D-man for the Leafs next season. I saw some flashes of potential with Timoshov, and a few other forwards , but the organization still lacks a solid defensive defenseman.
They come cheap and are easy to fill. D like Lil are much harder to come by.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

If young, fast and talented, stay-at-home D-men were easy to find, we would have 1 or even 2 by now.
Young, fast and talented D are less one dimensional than a stay at home D.

"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »
If young, fast and talented, stay-at-home D-men were easy to find, we would have 1 or even 2 by now.

I like fast and talented defensemen too! The only thing is if they are fast and talented, I kind of don't want them just to stay at home. I think I'm looking for someone who can skate, see the ice well, and has very strong defensive instincts in terms of positioning (body, stick, gap control) that can neutralize zone entries. Other than not being very tall, Dermott is quite possibly that very player.

http://www.tsn.ca/dermott-s-stock-rising-ahead-of-leafs-training-camp-1.852625
“He really learned to use the skill sets that he has,” said head coach Sheldon Keefe. “He kills a lot of plays early and he’s very evasive. As he learned how to use his body and learned to use the limited time and space that you have at the pro level, he learned to make plays through that.”

The crispness of Dermott’s overall game stands out among his peers; now Dermott needs to elevate it even further to reach the next level.

“Some of his stick positioning and defending, those kinds of things when he hasn’t closed the space is one area,” Keefe said of Dermott’s next steps. “But that doesn’t present itself very often because he is tight, he closes the gap real quick, so that’s a real positive for him. He’s got a bright future ahead, he’s going to continue to work and I know he’s excited to get going in camp.”
I agree. When I say stay-at-home, I'm really saying their talent lies in the ability to keep pucks out of their zone more than contributing to the offense. Defence first.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline cabber24

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2017, 11:04:09 AM »
Please no Hyman on Matthews line! I just wanted to throw this out there. I don't get it and have yet to be convinced by anything I have seen or read. You can't play with Matthews and only score 10 goals! Surely our forward group is deep enough to have someone else on Matthews line besides Hyman.

I don't get it.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2017, 01:40:27 PM »
Pronman is releasing a Top 100 Under 25 of NHL players:
25+ GP and < 25 years old by Sept 15, 2017

72. Connor Brown, RW, Toronto

The top half drop tomorrow, but it'll probably be forgotten amidst the iPhone news.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2017, 03:51:40 PM »
Pronman is releasing a Top 100 Under 25 of NHL players:
25+ GP and < 25 years old by Sept 15, 2017

72. Connor Brown, RW, Toronto

The top half drop tomorrow, but it'll probably be forgotten amidst the iPhone news.

Yeah, I saw that today.  Didn't realize Pronman had that high of an opinion on Brown.  He's ahead of a number of players I wouldn't expect like Sam Bennett, Kevin Fiala, Timo Meier, Pavel Zacha... but I haven't followed their progression much since they were drafted.  Anyways, I like Brown alot and if Pronman is right with his ranking, Brown will continue to improve and become quite important to this team in the future- hopefully at a low cost long term.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2017, 03:57:26 PM »
Yeah, I saw that today.  Didn't realize Pronman had that high of an opinion on Brown.  He's ahead of a number of players I wouldn't expect like Sam Bennett, Kevin Fiala, Timo Meier, Pavel Zacha... but I haven't followed their progression much since they were drafted.  Anyways, I like Brown alot and if Pronman is right with his ranking, Brown will continue to improve and become quite important to this team in the future- hopefully at a low cost long term.

The guys you list there have disappointed relative to their draft position so far - Brown has been a better NHLer than all but Bennett, and an argument can be made for Brown there, too.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Coco-puffs

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2017, 04:06:27 PM »

The guys you list there have disappointed relative to their draft position so far - Brown has been a better NHLer than all but Bennett, and an argument can be made for Brown there, too.

Yeah, but Brown is also 2 years older than all of them (3 in Zacha's case).  Pronman's guidelines are

based on talent assessment of who I believe will have the best NHL careers. This ranking is not based on how well a player will perform in the 2017-18 season.

Despite the disappointment compared to their draft positions, I still surprised Pronman thinks Brown will have a better career than most of those guys.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2017, 04:55:52 PM »
Despite the disappointment compared to their draft positions, I still surprised Pronman thinks Brown will have a better career than most of those guys.

Maybe he hasn't liked what he's seen in terms their ability to adapt the level of play in the NHL, and he's skeptical about their ability to improve on that?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2017, 03:01:18 AM »
With Bennett you have to wonder if he's a bit of a first round bust. They did seem to rush him for some reason though.

"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2017, 10:01:21 AM »

He specifically mentions (Leaf standouts): Martin Dzierkals (forward), Fedor Gordeev & Travis Dermott (defence).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:03:51 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2017, 11:57:24 AM »
Please no Hyman on Matthews line! I just wanted to throw this out there. I don't get it and have yet to be convinced by anything I have seen or read. You can't play with Matthews and only score 10 goals! Surely our forward group is deep enough to have someone else on Matthews line besides Hyman.

I don't get it.

I'm sure Babs will provide Patty every opportunity to bury Auston's passes that weren't converted last year. I'm predicting a slight drop in Matthews' goals this year with a significant increase in assists.
"I'm here for (6) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Online herman

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 12, 2017, 12:30:42 PM »

I don't get it.

I'm sure Babs will provide Patty every opportunity to bury Auston's passes that weren't converted last year. I'm predicting a slight drop in Matthews' goals this year with a significant increase in assists.

Even on Matthews' line, I don't think Hyman is the most difficult to understand problem with the lineup, if he can even be called a problem.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #149 on: September 12, 2017, 12:30:42 PM »